Thirty

Cole wraps his arm tightly around Peyton as the boy lays his head against his shoulder, curls poking him in the face. They were in Cole's bed watching a movie called 'beautiful boy' as the rain pattered heavily against the windows.

The moon shone in from outside lighting up a part of the room. Peyton could see the stars twinkle against the dark canvas of the sky and he smiled contenlty, his eyes kept fluttering shut every so often when Cole would lightly kiss his cheek.

As the movie came to an end and a poem began Peyton could feel the rumble of Cole's voice as he spoke. "That's a dark movie, good though" his voice sounded tired and raspy. Peyton looked up to him to see his eyes already on his, "yeah, it was" he agrees and leans forward pecking his boyfriends lips.

They listen to the end of the poem before the screen goes blank and the only bit of light in the room is from the moon.

"This movie kind of reminds me of my friend" Peyton sits up and glances back at Cole with a tilt to his head, "who's your friend?" He questions quietly from not speaking throughout the movie. He clears his throat rubbing at his eyes, as if it would get rid of his sleepy feeling.

"Just someone I went to secondary school with, i guess I can't really call him a friend no more. We don't really talk. He lives in Mableday now I think" Peyton takes Cole's hand in his own looking at the way Cole looks as though he was reliving forgotten memories.

"Why does it remind you of him?" He questions lightly as he leans into Cole, he's always asking why- he's quite curious, about anything really. But he's also asking because he can see Cole wants to talk about it.

"He had a major problem with drugs back when I knew him, and that was when we were in year eleven. Wonder if he's still doing it" his face turns into a thoughtful look before glancing down at Peyton's hand.

"Funnily enough his name is also Timothy" Peyton cracks a small smile at that, liking the
coincidence. He hugs Cole close to him and rests his head against his chest, he can tell Cole misses his old friend.

They can hear the door open and close a moment later downstairs so they both sit up, Cole kisses Peyton's forehead before telling him that he'll be back in a minute. Cole smiles at him as he leaves the room.

Misty comes into the room and jumps on the bed, Peyton instantly picks her up and lays her in his lap. Scratching underneath her chin and kissing her head, he smiles when she looks up to him and purrs.

But he jumps slightly when he hears raised voices from downstairs so he cuddles Misty close to him, he can hear Cole shouting at what sounds like his mum.

Not long after Cole comes back into the room with a scowl, turning the light on and effectively blinding Peyton.

"What's wrong?" Peyton questions with scrunched brows, wanting to know what that was about.

Cole sits down on his bed and picks at a lose string from his jeans on his knee, he shakes his head and sighs. "My parents aren't going to be here for my birthday" he rubs at his forehead then let's out a low chuckle, he mutters 'typical' under his breath and Peyton can't help but feel bad.

He knew Cole didn't celebrate his birthday, or even like it for that matter but that didn't mean he couldn't spend the day with his family. And now his family aren't even going to be there for him.

Peyton and Milo had planned a small get together for Cole after his birthday but now that his parents aren't going to be there he'll tell Milo that they are doing it on his birthday. He doesn't want him to be alone.

He let's Misty go and scoots to the edge of the bed, wrapping his arms around Cole's waist and awkwardly resting his head against his chest. He still wasn't great at comforting people, but all he knew was that he didn't want Cole to be sad.