Eight

The next day Peyton sat in a well lit cafe, in a booth nearer the back. He stares outside and admires the black crows chirping away to their friends, playing tag in the white sky.

The sun was no where to be seen, then again it is around autumn time when the bright beams of the fire ball is hidden away. Safely behind fluffy clouds to keep its warmth. The trees were naked and exposed, with their dying orange leaves abandoned on the wet cold ground.

The sofa he and Cole (who was opposite him) sat on was a bright red colour, almost hurting his eyes from how much it popped out. It wasn't that comfortable, but he's never found anything 100% comfortable. Always too much or too little, he sits up right so his back doesn't touch the back of the booth.

His eyes squint a bit, trying to block out some of the brightly lit lights. One in the corner of his eye kept flickering, which was pissing him off. So he tapped away on the marble table that layed in front of him.

His finger nails hit the stone in a rhythmic pace, never out of beat nor too loud or too quiet. Again just right, like he liked it. How he thought everything should be.

Just right.

His brother used to joke about that with him when they were younger, how he is like goldilocks. Everything has to be perfect or at least balanced.

The chatter in the room wasn't loud- in honesty there were barely many people in the run down cake shop. But he felt like the appliances in the kitchen through the plasterboard door, the obnoxious light buzzing, as well as the chattering and the quiet music in the background all amplified.

So he shook his leg, up and down, to the beat of his fingers.

He blocked out all the noise and light that would have given him a headache- if he wasn't looking at Cole. At his bright eyes that sparkled and his warm smile, his olive coloured skin glowing under the small chandiler of their table. And the sound of his voice- smooth and calm. Enough to lul a baby to sleep.

Peyton totally misjudged this boy in front of him, the one who looked scary and tough turned out to be sweet and kind. And the first person to befriend the weird small boy in this all to new town, he smiled at that.

"So yeah, my family are never home. They're always away for work trips, leaving me alone in a house too big for only the three of us and- are you smiling?" Peyton snaps his head up from Cole's red lips to meet his grey eyes- two very different colours yet two colours Peyton has grown to like.

He wipes the smile from his face as his cheeks blush ever so slightly, "sorry, I wasn't smiling at you being alone, just that you asked me to come out."

This makes Cole laugh and wafts a veiny hand (which Peyton's eyes may or may not stare at for longer than normal) which makes the curly haired boy just scrunch his eyebrows in clear confusion. His thoughts on how hypocritical that just was- with Cole questioning why he smiled but laughed himself, though he let it slide.

Cole picks up his cup of coffee and Peyton follows his actions, though inside his own mug lays milky tea. Basically just looking like pure milk filled to the brim with sugar. "Your still smiling about me asking you to hang out about an hour ago?" He chuckles deeply and shakes his head when the boy shrugs.

"So you're happy i asked you out? As friends I mean- well like just hanging out, you know. A couple of friends just chilling, in a coffee shop. Just talking, what I mean is-" he cuts himself off by downing the rest of his steaming hot drink. And maybe wafting his mouth out with his hand afterwards but no one needs to know that...

Peyton just stares at him weirdly, fiddling with a muffin Cole brought him, of course as friends. It's the weekend and Peyton had nothing to do- as well as Cole so the older decided to ask to hang out. They rode his motorbike for a while until they spotted a small cafe in the middle of no where, they were hungry so they decided to go in.