Chapter 18

Janet had been in holding for almost two days and Toni was going crazy with worry. She had been waiting for Janet to call her to come get her. Her whole house had been cleaned twice because she just had to do something. Denim has hardly eaten and barely moved around while Diezel wasn't his usual happy self. Evelyn had come over to stay with Toni when she found out what happened because she had called her in hysterics about it. "Denim, sweetie you have to eat." Toni was trying to get him to eat his food but he was refusing.

"No." He folded his arms and pouted. "I no want that."

"Well what do you want?"

"Janet."

"You know she's gone but she'll be back."

"I want her NOWWWWW!" Denim started kicking and screaming. "I WANT JANET!"

"Denim, baby please calm down." Toni picked him up and held him close, trying to calm him down but it didn't work. At the same time, Diezel started crying in his walker.

"Toni, what's wrong?" Evelyn came into the kitchen.

"He misses Janet. They've both been sad since she left."

"Well give me Denim and you get Diezel." Toni handed a crying Denim to her mother and went to check on the baby. Diezel was crying so bad it was like he was struggling to breathe. Toni grabbed her phone, pulled up a picture of Janet, and held it in front of him. When he looked at the phone, his cries turned to whimpers. He grabbed the phone and put his mouth on the screen. Toni relaxed and laid back against the back of the couch. She was so exhausted. She was up all night crying about Janet and then she would be up all day with the boys who were crying about Janet. At least she knows the boys love her. In the other room, Toni heard her mother calm down Denim. She laid her head on the back of the couch and closed her eyes. Just as she was drifting off to sleep, her phone rang. With a heavy sigh, she answered. "Hello."

"Yes, this is Officer Drake with the Los Angeles Police Department. We are calling regarding Janet Jackson. We were told you were the one to call." Instantly, Toni perked up, almost dropping Diezel.

"Yes, hello. How is she?"

"Well, Ms. Braxton. Ms. Jackson told us that you were there when the incident between her and Mr. Lewis happened."
"That's correct."

"Since that's the case, the chief wants you to come down for questioning."

"Okay. Is Janet being released?"

"I am not at liberty to discuss that. What time are you available?"

"If it will get her out quicker, I will come today."

"Great. Just come down to the station and ask for Detective Lawerance."

"Okay, thank you." Toni hung up the phone and went into the kitchen. "Mommy, I need you to stay with the boys for a little bit."

"Why? What's wrong?"

"I have to go down to the police station. They want to ask me some questions."

"Okay. Call your lawyers."

"Already on it." Toni left her house after calling her lawyers. She practically sped to the police station. When she got there she hopped out and went inside. "Hello, I was told to come here and ask for Detective Lawerance." The front desk officer looked confused.

"I'm sorry, who?"

"Detective Lawerance. I was told by someone named Officer Drake to come down here to make a statement regarding Janet Jackson and Keri Lewis."

"Ma'am, Ms. Jackson was released not that long ago. We were told to call you but the person on the phone said you were busy in the studio, so she called her mother."