Chapter 8

Janet had finally landed in New York and was making her way to the hotel. The concert planners were putting them up at the Ritz-Carlton. She loved it there because it had a great view of Central Park. In the car, Joey decided to talk to Janet. "So Jan, what's been going on with you? I haven't seen you in weeks and the one time I hear something related to you, it's coming from Roger and he's telling me to move your stuff from your house to your mother's house. What's going on?"

"Joey, I know you haven't been around much because I haven't called you but that's because Rene had stopped me from calling anyone close to me besides mother. I had to sneak and call Roger when everything was going down."
"What was going down?" Janet took a deep breath before explaining everything that went down.

"Okay so, it started off as minimal. Rene and I would have these little arguments but it would be nothing. Then it turned into demeaning words and it went from that top small hits. Then from there it went to beatings. Before I knew it I was doing whatever he wanted for the sake of our family. Then I was pregnant and he beat me so badly that I miscarried."

"Wait, you were pregnant?"

"Yeah."

"But if he wanted a family, why would he beat the baby out of you?"

"Because it wasn't his."

"Then whose was it?" Janet took another breath and prepared to tell yet another person about the conception of the baby she lost. She told him what happened and at the end Joey was shocked. "Wow Jan. Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"I didn't want anyone to know. I was too ashamed."

"Well listen, I'm here for you. Anything you need, let me be one of your first calls."

"I understand."

"Good." For the rest of the ride she laughed and joked with Joey. When they pulled up, Joey got out then went around to let her out. She walked into the hotel and instantly felt calm. This place always brought her peace. She made her way to the front desk when she saw a lady struggling with her toddler in her arms while her other baby was crying in the stroller. The little boy in her arms managed to scrim out and tried to run away. Janet instantly dropped her purse and picked up the little boy.

"Hey handsome." The little boy grinned and hid his face.

"Hi." He spoke in a cute little voice.

"Why are you running away from your mommy?" The little boy shrugged and giggled.

"Denim! Sweetie, where are you?" The lady came up to Janet while she was giggling with the little boy. "Oh my god! Thank you so much."

"No problem." Janet looked up from the little boy and faced the mother. At that moment, the woman realized who was holding her son.

"Oh my god! You're Janet Jackson."

"And you're Toni Braxton. I'm a huge fan of yours."

"Fan of mine? Wow! I'm so honored."

"You're honored? I'm the one that's honored. Your voice is so beautiful and deep. I love hearing you sing." Toni blushed at Janet's comment.

"Well thank you so much. And I'm sorry about this little munchkin here."

"Oh no he's fine. He is so handsome." Denim giggled again and hid his head in Janet's neck.

"Denim say thank you."

"Tank you."

"Well, I have to finish the hard task of checking in." Toni went to grab Denim but he wouldn't let go of Janet. "Denim, you can't hold on to Ms. Janet. She has things to do too."

"Oh he's fine. I'll hold him until you're down."

"Thank you so much."

"No problem." Toni went to finish checking in and making all of the requests for her children while Janet went and checked her and Joey into their rooms. When she was finished, she sat down with Denim in her lap and waited for Toni to finish. "So your name is Denim?" He nodded. "How old are you?" Denim looked down at his fingers and fiddled with them, then held up two.

"I two."

"Such a big boy."

"How old you are?" Janet laughed.

"I'm 31." Denim looked down at his fingers and fiddled again.

"I not got enough fingers."

"I know. You only have ten."

"How you know?"

"Cause everyone only has ten fingers and ten toes." Denim touch his chin like he was thinking before he answered.

"That so cool."

" I know." By now Toni was finished checking and had made her way back to Janet.

"Okay, I'm all checked in."

"Cool! What floor are you on?"

"The Presidential Suite. That has to be like the best room."

"Well one of the best."

"Well what's better than that?"

"The Royale Suite."

"Whoa, I wonder who gets to stay in there." Janet looked around before looking back with a smirk. "No way. You're staying in the Royale Suite?" Janet nodded. "Wow."

"Well we should get going to our rooms."

"But aren't they on different floors?"

"No, our rooms are the only two rooms on that floor."

"Cool." Toni and Janet made their way up to their floor and they laughed at Denim's antics the whole way. When they got there, the bellhops took their things into their rooms. "Okay Denim. Time to say goodbye to Ms. Janet." Denim started to whine. "Denim, please come on."

"But she pretty."

"I know, we all think she's pretty but you can't keep holding onto her."

"Otay." Denim got down from Janet's arms and went into the hotel suite.

"Thanks for holding him."

"No problem. Anytime. See you later." Janet went in for a handshake but Toni went for a hug. At first Janet was caught off guard but then she hugged Toni back. When they pulled apart Toni went into her suite. Janet went to her suite and got settled. The whole time she was thinking about Toni. It was something about her that had her intrigued. Janet always found Toni very beautiful based on her voice and though she had seen Toni's face plenty of times on tv it was different hearing her voice and seeing her in person. It made Janet feel some type of way. Maybe a new friendship is overdue.