Chapter 32 - A special guest on a special day

"Wake up, love."

I lazily opened my eyes and needed a moment to realize that I was lying in bed with Cahir looking at me and carefully stroking my hair. As soon as my gaze met his, I started smiling as my lovely husband smiled softly back at me as well before kissing me on my forehead.

"Do you know what day it is?" I didn't have to think much about that, I knew exactly what day it was but I pretended not to know. "No idea what you mean." I told him with a grin. "Well, my dear wife... exactly one year ago we promised each other to 'be true to each other in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health and that we would love an honor each other for all the days of our lifes, until death do us apart.' Yes, I think I quoted that correctly." I kissed his cheek and laughed. "Well done darling, really. I'm proud of you for remembering this all year." "You know, it's easy to remember the words that the most beautiful woman, that I also happen to call my wife, said to me as we were getting married." "It feels kind of... weird to think that it's already been a year, don't you think?" I asked. "I know what you mean but then again this has been an amazing year. We're having a wonderful son and Alice is growing so fast. I think I'll give her a real sword the next time we're training." "The hell you do. I'm not going to let you give her a sharp and dangerous weapon and you know that." He laughed. "I was only joking. I would never want her to get hurt. I love her and want her to be safe." I sighed but smiled at the same time. "You can be quite an idiot sometimes. But I love you." He gave me a quick peck on the lips. "I love you too."

It was noon when we got out of bed, we were just enjoying each other's company so much. Since Lucie knew that this was our anniversary she offered herself to take care of Aldred and Alice to give us time to... celebrate, which we happily did. But of course we invited her and Cecilia to eat with us. We actually did that all the time, we always had dinner together but this was a special occasion. And it got even more special when suddenly an unexpected guest arrived. It was a person that we knew very well and that my sister was quite fond of. A person who was famous for singing songs about a special person that he seemingly brought with him and that didn't look pleased at all by the fact that he had to be here with us. The man with the white hair and the piercing eyes was covered in scars and carried two swords with him. He also wore a medallion shaped like a wolf's head around his neck. We invited them to dine with us of course and the man, who introduced himself to us as the witcher Geralt of Rivia, looked a bit more content now that we had lots of the finest food you could get for him to eat.

"So..." I started, trying to start a conversation. "You're actually the person Jaskier wrote all these songs about." "No, he's certainly not. I sing of universal matters." Jaskier immediately responded which made Cahir laugh slightly.

"So you're telling me that your song about tossing coins to your witcher could have been about any witcher... though I believe that you mentioned his name in that song, didn't you?" We all looked at Geralt expectantly and he just sighed, he seemed to know the song. "Yes he did. I wish he didn't though." "That was only one song. Every other song that I've written could literally be about anyone." Jaskier quickly tried to defend himself which only gave Cahir another reason to tease him. "We totally believe you. And the song about the butcher who should burn surely could have been about any butcher that you share memories with, right? It definitely doesn't have anything to do with the Butcher of Blaviken" He smirked widely, he really loved to do that to the poor bard. Also I felt kind of sorry for Geralt at this point, he probably didn't want to be there in the first place and now he had to listen to their constant arguing and jokingly mocking.

The witcher also told us about his two swords when I asked him what they were for. One was made out of steel, the other one had a silver blade. He explained that people thought that one sword was for monsters and the other one for humans but this was totally wrong. "Both swords are for monsters.", he explained. "A witcher isn't a hired murderer, a soldier or a professional duelist."

After we all ate it was time to go to bed and fortunately we were able to offer both of our unexpected guests a seperate bedroom to stay for the night. The children were already sleeping when we got in our bed and spent the time together until we fell asleep.