I Almost Do

i wish i could run to you

BROOKLYN'S POV

After being convinced last night that I wasn't going to sleep, I surprised myself by waking up much later than what's normal for me. I was clutching the pillow and the sun was beating through the blinds on my window, and when I checked the time, it was bordering on lunchtime. I figured since I had already slept so late I might as well just stay in bed until I feel like getting up. Which hasn't happened yet.

I'm staring at the ceiling again as I listen to commotion in the kitchen, but I don't know who's out there. It's just past noon so I assume everyone is back from their morning responsibilities, preparing for their afternoon responsibilities. Thankfully, I have none of those, so I'm still here. I suppose I could go to the rescue center like I planned to yesterday, but I'm not exactly compelled.

I spoke to my mom this morning briefly, but it was just our typical check in. I obviously didn't tell her about last night, mostly because I don't want to talk about it with anyone in any capacity and just move on with my life because I have better things to do. In retrospect, it was a mere hiccup in the game called life and I don't want to be dramatic and dwell on it. 

I also talked to the girls, but it was the same thing. Reagan had updated us on some stuff she has going on, Hadley told us about her crazy idea for her brother's birthday present, Devin sent us pictures of her breakfast for no reason, and I responded to all of them enthusiastically. I personally didn't share much, because there's not much to tell.

I have a bit of a headache. I'm also hungry, but I'm not in the mood to go into the busy kitchen and converse with people and be chipper or interactive. I'd much rather be alone, obviously, but that's not possible right now, so I either suck it up or wait it out. 

When I hear a loud crash, laughter, and yelling, I decide to wait it out.

Rolling onto my side, I bring the blankets up to my chin and bury my face in the pillow, refraining from letting out a groan. Or a scream. Maybe I should just go back to sleep. That would make everything a lot easier.

Is it too early for another drink?

A sudden but gentle knock on the door makes me roll my eyes slightly. I don't move immediately, contemplating pretending to be fast asleep if they decide to peek their head in or something. They knock again and I decide against the devil on my shoulder, slowly sitting up and swinging my legs over the edge of the bed.

I guess they get impatient, because the door is slowly opening and I can tell it's Kalani testing the water to see if she can come in.

"Yes?" I chuckle lightly when she pokes her head in and her eyes find me.

"Hi." She says. "I, uh, was wondering if you were hungry."

"I am actually."

"Okay good." She pushes the door open fully and walks into the room, carrying a smoothie in her right hand and a muffin the size of half my head in her left. "I figured you might want something, so I blended a double batch and Frankie was over in the dining hall earlier." She smiles.

"Thanks." I take both of them from her and put them down on the table.

"How are you?" She asks much more delicately.