Death By A Thousand Cuts

the only thing we share is this small town

BROOKLYN'S POV

Despite needing it, and despite my body wanting it, I didn't sleep last night. Maybe I fell into a very light sleep at different points, I don't know...but it doesn't matter.

It's not even seven in the morning right now and Harry is fast asleep next to me, but I know I'm up for the day. Except I don't want to be because the boys are leaving today and I'm mentally preparing myself for this to be the worst day ever.

I know for sure no one else is home, but I know everyone is going to show up sooner than later. But again, I don't want them too, because it means we're one step closer to the inevitable.

Or maybe we could go about this like a normal day. Hit the cafe and the beach and actually enjoy ourselves for a while before the time comes. That sounds ten times better than laying in bed all day and moping and complaining about how we wish it were different. It's not, so why don't we just accept it and make the most of it as best as we can?

I feel like I need to get up and do something or my mind will drive me crazy.

Carefully, I swing my legs over the edge of the bed and slip out from Harry's hold. I ignore the soreness in my legs and tuck him back in, pressing a light kiss to his nose before turning to grab some clothes off the floor and slipping them on. The stillness of the house makes me sigh, and I wander into the kitchen to busy myself with whatever I can find.

Except, after a few minutes, I can't find anything; all the coffee and tea has been used up in the past two weeks. I sigh, knowing the only other place that has what I want is the cafe. At least it gives me something to do.

I quickly go back into my room to grab a small scrap of paper and write Harry a note that I know he'll see before he eventually checks his phone. That is, if he even wakes up. I put on a proper pair of shorts and leave as quickly as I came, knowing I'll be back in less than fifteen minutes.

It's warm when I step outside and walk down the front path, and because it's so early, everything outside is just as quiet as it was inside. The birds are chirping above me and there's only a few wispy clouds in the pale sky as the sun continues to rise.

When I get to the cafe, it's empty, but I know Stevie will be here sooner than later so I go ahead and get a few things started for her. It's the least I can do because I know it's realistic that I won't be in today. I also know that I'll make up for it in the coming weeks because I'm going to need loads of distraction after today.

I turn on the ovens and start to brew the coffee so it's hot and ready for the first customer, all while stealing a bag of coffee grounds and a few frozen muffins to reheat when I get home and put those in a bag. I know the boys will probably want more, but we can always come back or go to the diner.

I'm inside for barely ten minutes before I'm outside again and heading back home; however, the sunrise on the horizon that I can see in the distance on the beach distracts me completely and I find myself wanting to get a look at it.

I approach the beach, kicking off my sandals and tucking the coffee grounds and muffins under my arm as I walk onto the sand and see the beautiful orange, pink, and yellow hues blending with the pale morning blue. I personally think sunrises are totally underrated. Sure, sunsets are just as stunning and perfectly convenient, but a sunrise represents a new day.