Jump Then Fall

I realize your laugh is the best sound I have ever heard

BROOKLYN'S POV

"Will she...be, like, okay?"

"Um...I will have to get back to you on that."

After their proper introduction, I could tell Harry was definitely actively trying to make Devin as comfortable as possible, which I appreciated. I think it sort of worked because as minutes passed, Devin's hands were less and less shaky. Although, it was still funny to watch her constantly glancing over at the table while we were eating, almost like she was constantly checking if he had disappeared into thin air.

I still feel a little bad for springing him on her. But I don't think she'll resent me for it for much longer.

The sun is starting to set as the early evening creeps in, and the clouds are also creeping in too, which is weird because it was so sunny all day today. That's what living on the coast gets you.

At this point, I'm scared it's going to get awkward with Harry because I have no idea what to do next. If he truly wants to spend two whole months here then we need to space our adventures out or we'll run out of things to do in about a day and a half.

"You said you lived here your whole life, right?" Harry says from behind me as we exit the cafe, and I subconsciously start to walk with no destination as I'm distracted by his question.

"A whopping nineteen years."

"I lived in Holmes Chapel until I was sixteen. I guess you could say it was a small town, but it was bigger than this." He chuckles.

"How often do you go back?"

"Whenever I can. Which isn't often, but I take what I can get." He shrugs his shoulders before continuing. "We're constantly on the go, so times like this when I can just do nothing are not to be wasted, like I've said."

"I can't imagine being so busy. The most I've ever had going on at one time is when I took AP Biology and played soccer at the same time my senior year of high school. It was back and forth between practice and homework but it was over in the blink of an eye." I tell him, kicking a stray rock on the sidewalk.

"I didn't even get to finish high school." He chuckles suddenly.

"Really?"

"Really. When I was put in the band on X-Factor it was like a switch flipped and nothing was ever the same."

"I guess that's not a terrible thing. Traded school work for being adored by millions. I'd say it's a fair trade."

"True. In hindsight, I can't really complain. I have my dream job and I'm only nineteen."

"If you did graduate and go to college– or uni, I should say– what would you have studied?"

"I honestly have no idea. Maybe sociology or business, but I don't think I would've lasted very long before I dropped out and pursued something in music. I just got lucky on X-Factor."

"Wow, okay, so I'm not the only one who's smart." I quote his words from earlier directed at me and he smiles.

"What about you? Are you in school anywhere?"

Oh, damn. I didn't think this through– that he might ask me that. How do I explain to a multi-millionaire that I didn't go to college even though I wanted to because I can't afford it?