peace

give you the silence that only comes when two people understand each other

BROOKLYN'S POV

"Last call for flight seven forty-five to Los Angeles International Airport, last call. All passengers need to make their way to gate twenty four D as the doors will be closing soon."

"Um, excuse me? Miss?"

I feel dizzy.

"Miss? Are you getting on the plane?"

I guess that's a valid question, as I've been standing here for ten minutes staring at the entrance to the jet bridge and contemplating...well, not getting on.

"Miss, the doors are going to close in a few minutes."

Jesus, Brooklyn, snap the fuck out of it.

"Sorry." I apologize to the nice employee who is just trying to help me out. "Um..."

Am I getting on the plane?

Yes. For the love of god, yes. I've spent a week mentally preparing myself for this and I'm not about to make like the Cowardly Lion and beg Kalani to turn back around and pick me back up.

I'm getting on this godforsaken plane.

"I'm sorry," I apologize again, "here." I hand her my boarding pass and she smiles, taking it and walking back around the big reception desk to scan it.

"You're all set. Enjoy the flight." She smiles as she hands the slip of paper back to me and I take it, forcing my goddamn feet to move so I don't embarrass myself more than I already have.

They probably think I have a fear of flying or something, but in reality I'm just nauseous beyond comprehension about the fact that this six hour flight is eventually going to lead me to Harry's front door.

Six hours to overthink this.

Oh boy.

The flight attendants greet me as I enter the plane. I smile in return, walking down the aisle and avoiding accidental eye contact with anyone as I find my seat. I'm walking for a while to the further end of the plane. I guess that's what I get for booking the flight mere days before, while most of these people have probably had it booked for weeks, maybe months. But it's fine. Maybe I'll be distracted by how uncomfortable I am and I won't do a lot of thinking. Or hopefully they have movies.

When I do get to my seat that's thankfully an aisle seat, I slide my backpack off my shoulders and sit down. The two other people in the seats next to me don't acknowledge me, already encapsulated by their phones and the screen on the back of the seat in front of them. 

The captain comes over the intercom and says that the doors are now closing and the flight attendants should make their way through the aisle to prepare for takeoff. I grab my phone, sending a text to Devin that we're taking off, and one to Kalani. I don't wait for their responses before I put the device on airplane mode and pull out my headphones, plugging them into the screen in front of me.

Yes, I do want to pass the time because long flights can be a pain in general, but I also want the captain to come over the intercom again and say the plane is broken so we're delayed for hours. I can't pick which one I actually want because I can't wrap my head around the fact that I'm actually doing this.