Chapter 4 - Lucy

Chapter 4 - Lucy

I heard a knocking sound coming from my door. As I was the only on here, seeing that my roommate sleeps at her boyfriend's more than she does here. I crawled out of bed and slowly opened the door; cold air blow lightly around my ankles. My eyes take in the shape that stood in front of me. It was Carlos. Witch means something happened at home, again. I became awake. Looking out from my door to make sure no one was watching, I let him enter.

Turning the light on. I see Carlos's face and pain takes over me, next filled with anger. His lip was all puffy and you could see that it has just stopped bleeding but that wasn't all. Under his left eye, he could easily make out a huge bruise. He wouldn't meet me in the eyes. No matter how many times he ha came to me, he never does.

Slowly walking over I yank him into a hug. I feel him freeze for a second, then flinch with pain. I quickly pull away and lift up his shirt. His whole right side is bruised as well. Still not willing to look me my eyes, I point to the couch. He goes and sits while I get ice, something for the pain and a can of soda.

I watch as he pops the pills. Place the ice on his side and then hold the soda to his face. I slowly move his face so that he's looking at me. I can see tears in his eyes. I set back and let him lay his head on my lap. We stay like this for a bit and quietness takes over. For over the last year Carlos has come to me every time his step-dad beats him. I beg him to tell someone, but he won’t. So, I made a deal that I won't tell if ever single time it happens he comes to me; I can take care of him. He has but lately he has been happening more and more.

"Carlos..."

"Please." He said.

I can hear his voice crack; about to cry. Instead, I tell him to go change into some clean clothes. He has his own dresser here, along with a few other person items. He comes out of the bathroom now holding the ice to his head.

"Come on, crash with me tonight." Sometime he crashes on the couch other times he crashes in my bed. The look on his face told me there was something was different about tonight he was in more pain, more sad, more hurt; then the other the time. Witch killed me.