《 talk too much - lasko oneshot 》

requested by a_lonely_simp <3
i love coin so ty for this xD

synopsis: coffee date with one anxiously talkative boi
-

lasko adjusted his tie for what felt like the thousandth time, nervously glancing down at the watch that adorned his wrist. it read 2:30 on the dot. precisely 15 minutes before you said you'd be arriving. surely, that would give him enough time to find a nice spot in the cafe and, hopefully, get his order in so you wouldn't fight him to pay for your drink.

he pulled open the door, welcoming the aroma of fresh coffee into his lungs with a calm smile. the coffee shop you'd picked out was quiet (thank goodness for that) and cozy.

string lights hung across the ceiling, shedding warm light that contrasted with that of the cold, winter sun coming in through the windows. patrons sat at the little tables scattered throughout the shop, sipping their drinks between conversations. coffee machines hummed away behind the counter and a handwritten chalkboard menu stood against the wall.

lasko took a breath and fished out his wallet from his pocket before stepping up to the counter. the cashier gave him a kind, though probably rehearsed, smile, "hi! what can i get started for you today?"

he swallowed, "h-hi, can i get a double shot americano and a [insert preferred drink order]?"

the cashier nodded, quickly typing the order into the register, "of course! your total's $7.45, and can i get a name for your order?"

"uh, lasko."

her nose scrunched a little in confusion, "like the fan?"

he tried not to sigh out loud, "y-yeah, like– the fan."

he quickly paid for the drinks and found a nice open seat by the window. now all he had to do was wait.

...

...

...

okay, he was mildly freaking out.

why? it was just you, and he'd never had a problem being around you if you didn't count the period of time where he was too embarrassed to be in the same room as you because he'd accidentally walked into the kitchen while you were dancing and you both just stood there and screamed. was he sweating? why was he sweating–

"earth to lasko? hellooo?"

your voice, and your hand waving persistently in his face, snapped him back to reality almost instantly, "freelancer–! h-hi, you're here!"

you chuckled, slipping your jacket off and sliding into the chair opposite of his, "sure am. did you order already?"

lasko sat up straighter, feeling the familiar warmth climbing to his cheeks the longer his eyes lingered on your features, "y-y-yeah, i-i ordered for b-both of us. i-is that okay?"

you nodded with a smile before your eyes landed on his tie, "is that the tie i got you for your birthday?"

"oh!" he laughed, "y-yeah! i-i-it's kind of my favorite tie, y-you know? n-n-not just because you got it for me, o-of course! t-though that was a pretty strong factor.. b-b-but gray's my f-favorite color and i-it has little d20's on it, s-s-so other dnd people t-think it's cool, b-b-but they're also small enough so i-i-i can just say i-it's just a funky little p-pattern to people who d-don't really know dnd and t-they'll say something like, 'oh, that's nice!' and i-i-it'll just be a whole lot easier than me trying to explain dnd a-and d20's because i tend to start rambling about it and they lose interest, but they listen to me anyways because they don't want to be rude and just walk away or interrupt while i'm talking, and i'm not even aware that they're not interested in what i'm saying, but–"

"order for lasko?"

lasko nearly facepalmed, his embarrassment burning bright red on his face, "i was doing it again, w-wasn't i?"

"yup," you just sat there resting your chin on your hand, an endeared grin on your lips and an amused twinkle in your eyes.

you were looking at him like he was the most precious thing in the world to you; like every jewel lost its sparkle, every piece of currency became worthless, every–

feeling his face burning at least 50 more shades of scarlet at his own thoughts, lasko sheepishly stood and nearly tripped over the legs of his chair, "i-i'm gonna get our drinks."

you just hummed contentedly, your eyes still lingering on him even as he walked away, "i'll be here."

he tried to ignore your gaze burning into his back as he shuffled over to the counter.