Chapter 8 - The Past That Keeps On Coming, This isn't Twice (Kaden POV)

A/n: Not Edited

Chapter 8 - The Past That Keeps On Coming, Twice (Kaden POV)

After the first date I had with Etta, I built a careful routine, one that made sure history wouldn't repeat itself. Sharing different pieces of my life with Etta, things that I had never once felt I needed to give to my family back home. The things I kept hidden, locked away inside my head, and continued to play the roll of son and brother all while sticking to what I knew.

What was comfortable to me.

Etta was a fairly open book as well, however I was beginning to notice a few things that really didn't add up. After three weeks it was of course still new, and I really wanted to spend much more time with her, but we'd hit the same roadblock. Her kids. We hadn't said or declared just what type of relationship this was, I had held her hand, wrapped my arms around her body, but we hadn't done more than that. I wasn't going to push.

I had plenty of playmates over the years to know that this was different; I craved to be with Etta in so many ways other than sexually.

There were times, sometimes where I would see her face, and over this short time, I could almost - it was as though I had, had Etta in my life previously and just couldn't remember. With the experimenting that the Elders had done on me, I was missing gaps of time, but I couldn't see just when or how Etta and I would've crossed paths.

Things just weren't adding up and while I wanted to ask her straight out, I hadn't. It was a double-ended sword in my own opinion. I felt it, when she spoke, little by little, after time; it was like she was talking about me to me. I didn't know, but it was all going to come to a head, everything was going to come back to me - the past was going to catch up.

Hopping from my boat, I docked and went up to Johns house, entering and heading to his kitchen sitting as he cooked, "You eating?" he asked not bothering to turn around at all, "Or you meeting up with Tink?"

Snorting at that ridiculous name, I answered, "Yeah, I could eat."

Tapping my fingers against the countertop I tried to think of reasons why Etta hadn't let me meet her children, why we were always at my island on walking around town, but not really including her children.

"John..." I started off, knowing he wouldn't bullshit me.

"I haven't met Etta's sister or her children," he glanced at me over his shoulder, turning back to the stove.

"That's not a question, Kaden."

I nodded, "Is - that's - I mean if she was serious about me... about us... that I'm her mate, she would let me meet them, right?" he didn't answer right away only sighing.

"When you look at her what do you see?" he asks instead of answering my question.

Puffing out a few sighs, I took his question seriously, John always had a reason for the things he said or asked. I tried what he said to do... closing my eyes I tried do what I had been doing since I met Elizabetta, but thinking of her, trying to place her in my life before I had come to the island seemed impossible, trying to reach to those memories that were just gone only made me grab my head in pain.

Groaning I pulled away, not trying to force myself to remember that time, "I - I have that missing time John, and I just can't - I-" he turned off the stove coming to my side, a disapproving look on his face.

"I told you not to force it," he muttered. I didn't even try to nod, knowing it would physically hurt me, "I just-"

"We decided Kaden, when you lose pieces, you let them come back to you on your own, we don't want to risk trauma," he said with utter compassion.