Chapter Thirty-Eight: "I will get over this, even if it kills me"

I sat on the ground outside the hotel, my back up against the wall, but my head in between my knees, my arms holding my knees together.

How can someone you love with all your heart make you feel an infinite amount of pain? I felt as if a lion had found me lying on the ground and just ripped at my skin, not even bothering to eat my heart because it’s already broken, and just continued ripping at me until there’s nothing left.

Niall, my Niall had cheated. The one thing he said he’d never do to me, he did. He knew that trust was a thing I didn’t give out easily but he just drove it right down into the dirt anyway. How can someone who you love with all your heart and soul, hurt you in the worst way imagineable?

Is there just something about me that means that people close to me cheat? My mum broke my family apart by cheating, Max cheated on me with my best friend, but none of that compares to Niall's betrayal. The love of his life he had said, that's how he'd described me. And I believed and loved him, I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Niall Horan. I still do. That's what makes me feel like an idiot.

I ignore the flashes and questions asked by the photographers, keeping my head in my knees and not looking up.

“Can you please just leave me alone?” I ask them, still not looking up. “I don’t want to talk, I don’t want you to take pictures all I want... is to be alone. You should at least give me that.” 

Every moment they're there, destorying my private life, destorying my relationships. Making me look like a fool. I don't want Niall to see how broken he has left me in the street. I don't want Niall to ever see me again. Or at least, the day he does, is a day I can prove to him that I don't need him, that I can be successful without him, I can be loved by another man other than him. I'll show him.

“Not likely princess.” A reporter shouts out to me. And another sob comes out.

“I just want to be alone!” I look up, glaring at the three men taking my pictures. “Have you had enough pictures yet? Have you got what you wanted?" I get to my feet, my back still leaning up against the wall, there's no escaping them, so I may as well give them what they want. "You want a statement? Fuck. Off. You have no right to know anything about my personal life. No one does! Except those closest to me. Now fucking fuck off!” I flip them off, leaning my head to face the ground again, only turning again when I hear a familiar voice shout my name.

“Lennox!” My head turns where Zayn is running towards me, picks up my bags and wraps my arm around my shoulder, pulling me into the hotel bar instead of taking me back upstairs.

“What the hell happened?” He asks me, guiding me towards a booth at the bar.

“What did Niall say happened?” I ask him and Zayn shrugs.

“Just that you broke up with him.” I chuckle bitterly, of course he wouldn’t mention that it’s his fault for the break up. Yep. Just make me look like the bad guy Niall. He can't even own up to what he's done. And I very much doubt he ever will.

“I’ll tell management about those pictures and they’ll get an injunction so that they can’t publish them.” He comforts me and I nod. Certianly don’t want yet another private moment of my life shown up in the public eye.

“Are you going to tell me what happened?” He asks and I shake my head.

“Nope.” I mutter. “He can bloody tell everyone.”

“That’s not fair, he’s crying his eyes out upstairs.” Zayn tells me. “So I want you to tell me why you suddenly broke it off with him.”

“If he’s not telling, then neither am I.” I tell him. He's crying? It should be me being comforted by my closest friends, whilst Niall is getting questioned about the break up! It's his fault that it happened! “But clearly you’re all worried about Poor Niall and bitching about me because I dumped him, so maybe you should just get back upstairs and leave me alone.” Zayn rolls his eyes, a scowl on his face, he gets up without another word.