Chapter 8 ~ Parker/Reid Household

Spencer's POV

Spencer planned to meet with Tony before the man and Peter got too close again. He knew that May had allowed the relationship, and he understood why. But he needed to be extra careful. That's why on Monday he planned a meeting with the man. What he didn't plan was bumping into an old boyfriend. Spencer left the coffee shop with his third cup that day, he opened the door just as the other man went to open it. Spencer was frozen for a moment, an old memory popping up as he whispered, "Stephan?"

Stephan Gideon stood there his hand still outstretched for the door handle, "Spencer." He replied, hoarseness in his voice.

Spencer had gone to college with the older man, he was the one to introduce him to Gideon. Jason Gideon, who took him in and brought him in to the FBI, his dream job.

Spencer sat in a chair listening to one of the only people he still talked to from college, play piano. He sat there relaxed but also very high. Glancing to the left he watched his mentor enter the bar and walk over taking a seat next to him. "How'd you find me?"

"You're not all that hard to profile," Gideon said, not looking at him but at his friend playing the piano. "Your friend is good."

Spencer knew Gideon wasn't here for pleasantries. He was worried about Reid's mental health after Tobias Hankel. "I missed that plane on purpose," He said before Gideon could say anything else.

"I know," he said and Spencer thought back to when he first met the man. How he took him in, like a son. Even though he was only dating Gideon's son.

"I'm struggling," Spencer admitted after a few moments of silence. The drugs in his system were making him more willing to open up.

"Anybody who's been through what you've been through would." Jason Gideon said so soft and so kind that Spencer felt another crack in the wall surrounding his emotions.

"This is all I was groomed for. I never even considered another option." He said softly, the weight of the job resting heavily on his shoulders. All the things he gave up to be here and he couldn't tell whether or not he was happy anymore.

"Now you're questioning whether or not you're strong enough to be here," He said quietly but completely accurately.

Spencer blinked away the memory of the man's father and let himself be guided out of the doorway. "So, what brings you to New York?" Stephan asks and Spencer looks away from his gaze.

"I um... I'm here with Peter. My Aunt passed away recently, making me his guardian." Spencer said as confidently as he could, but Stephan used to read him so easily - and he still could.

A hand rested on his shoulder, "how has it been working?"

His kind eyes made Spencer so mad at his past self for screwing it up. "I had to leave the BAU, I consult from my apartment, out of the field." He said so softly that he wasn't sure it came out at all.

"Wow," Stephan exhaled, and Spencer could understand the surprise. After all, they broke up because of the job. Stephan didn't want Spencer to grow up to be like his dad and Spencer wanted to be like his dad. "I never thought you'd give that up for someone." He eased out and Spencer winced.

They stood awkwardly like that for a few minutes until Spencer just sighs, "what brings you to New York?"

Stephan looks relieved at the new topic. "I live near here. Moved here two years ago with my wife, it's home now."