Chapter 34- Fire And Fury

Niki stalked off from Jack, not even looking back at him in spite. She was so angry, she wanted to set something on fire, but that just reminded her of the forest incident and her regret for it, and decided against it.
She wasn't going to have that happen again. Not again.

———————————————————————
With Dream

He clasped Sapnap's body desperately in the remnants of the burned forest, sobbing his fucking heart out. He'd got his hopes up again only to land down harder and way more painfully than before, and it was eating him from the inside.
Fucking hell, he was trapped in a world where nobody liked him, he'd lost his best friend, had enemies and was literally unable to die.
He didn't even have a last resort, since there was no way to kill a vampire that he knew of, so he was literally trapped forever in this hellhole of a world.
He screamed and sobbed and wailed over Sapnap, desperately wishing for him to come back, for that blessed normality that he'd been deprived of for so long to partially return again for the first time since he'd got turned. He'd thought all was lost, and then Sapnap had reappeared back into his life, and he'd seen a spark of hope. Small sparks can make big fires, but this spark died down, extinguished by the man he barely remembered that apparently wanted to take revenge on him for something he did three years ago.
Oh, how he wished he hadn't visited the Dark SBI's mansion all that time ago! Everything would be fine, the rest of the hunters would still be alive (probably) and he'd have Sapnap with him! Niki, Jack, Ant, Sam, Fundy, Sapnap... They'd all be alive if it wasn't for him. Three he'd killed personally. One by proxy. Fundy's death was unrelated to him, but Tommy had killed him so it was kind of related to Dream, since Dream had been there at the time, and he was kind of meant to be looking after Tommy and sticking with him, so it was kind of his fault that Fundy had kidnapped Tommy, tortured him, and then Tommy killed him in retaliation.
Kind of his fault.
Not all.
Still! All his hunter friends were now dead or vampires like him- not a single one remained. The other two accompanying him on the night he'd exiled Schlatt's friend had been killed in combat, killed in the Great Purge which he still had nightmares about- in which he would wake up screaming, trying to run, and find himself in his bed.
Or the forest floor.
Or wherever he happened to be sleeping that night.
He still got the default Great Purge nightmares when he was a vampire, but they were less frequent as they were replaced by nightmares of Sam and Ant's dead, bloody bodies coming back and stalking him, telling him that it was his fault, that he should have never have killed them. Their common phrases that they said in these nightmares were, "You betrayed me, Dream, you betrayed all of us" and "They've made a monster out of you, where is the man I used to know?"
He had nightmares about four out of five nights, and they wouldn't go away. Every time something bad happened again, there would be new ones that would spawn from its remnants and torment him further.

Yet here he was, in the situation that would undoubtedly create more nightmares for him. He sobbed and wept for hours on end, not even caring when the sky darkened. How many hours had he been there for? Who knows. He didn't. At least four, but it could have been seven, ah, fuck it, why did it matter? Sapnap was still dead. He could stay there as long as he liked.
Suddenly, he heard a rustling of leaves. A snapping of twigs. An all too familiar voice calling his name.
"Dream! Dream, oh my god, are you ok?" said Niki.
Dream backed up into a tree as he was still sat down, his eyes wide as he stared at her hatefully.
"You- you did this!" he said, indicating to the burned forest. "Why do you care now?! You're just here to finish the job, aren't you?! Why are you even here?"
"No, no, no, it's OK, Dream, I'm here to help you," Niki replied, putting her palms up defensively. "I left Jack. He was too controlling. I've come to help."
"Well you haven't fucking helped, cuz my friend is dead!"
Dream pointed at the body he'd been previously wailing over.
"He isn't burned though? How'd he die?" Niki asked suspiciously.
"Oh, uh, well, another guy came and found us. It turned out that I'd taken away his best friend when I was a hunter, and he wanted revenge. So he killed Sapnap."
"Wait, that's Sapnap? I didn't recognise him, oh my god."
"It is. He's face down, I see why you didn't recognise him. Wouldn't you have recognised him in the forest, though?"
"Well, sort of. But I didn't give it much thought. Jack, you know," she replied, shrugging.
"Oh."
"Are you sure he's dead?"
"Pretty sure."
"Well, I could try to resuscitate him, maybe, I know CPR."
"You do?!"
"And you don't?!"
"Oh. True. Well, you can try, but it won't work."
"Let's see how true that is," Niki said determinedly.
She walked over to Sapnap's body cautiously, crouched over it, held his nose, and started kissing him.
No- she wasn't kissing him, she was trying to pump air into his lungs, and must have forgot that she was a vampire.
Vampires don't breathe oxygen- or anything for that matter. And she also must have forgotten she had fire abilities...
"Niki!" Dream yelled. "You don't have oxyg-"