Chapter 41

Footsteps echoed around the dark stone hallways, shattering the silence, that resided.

Ruhi's heart hammered with nervousness, her gaze bouncing around the unfamiliar surroundings.

What was this place?

It was a dungeon, but with no occupants. The thought illicited a deeper fear.

Inky darkness cloaked the place, whispering tales of sins, never to be forgotten.

The temperature suddenly dropped several degrees, almost like from hot summer, ice cold winter had settled in.

Silvery strands of warm air puffed out with her each breath. Tremors passed through her body, wrecking her from within.

She rubbed her hands together, trying to reserve her body heat, but everything seemed in vain.

Ruhi tried to ease the organ in her chest, that furiously hammered against her ribcage. Following the two guards, who walked ahead, and two behind.

The only sound that could be heard, in the icy, dark dungeon, was drops of water hitting the stone floor.

A loud groaning sound, of metal rubbing against the ground, filled the air. As one guard, pulled a cell open.

"Walk in." He commanded in the gruff voice. A tremor passed down her spine, fear unfurling in her chest, but she held her head high, walking in.

"Why is that there is no one here?"

She wanted to pat her back, at how calm and collected she sounded, though from within, she was half scared to death.

"Because only worst of the offenders are brought here to rot forever." One stated emotionlessly before moving down the hallway, leaving her alone in the never ending silence.

Where she could only hear her breathing, and the distant sound of water hitting the ground.

Ruhi looked around, through the metal bars. Rows and rows of cells lay empty.

Thick metal shackles hanging from the roof, and the sides of the wall. Now lay innocently against the floor, darkened patches of dried blood stained.

Her heart sinked, noting the scratch marks on the walls around. Like someone was either trying to hold on it, or tear through the wall.

Every nook and corner spoke of horror of someone's life.

Not a flame could be seen around, just endless darkness. That her eyes seemed to have adjusted to.

Moisture was present in air, worsening the cold.

Ruhi looked around her cell.

The floor was made of ebony stones, and cold. Rough under her soles, the sharp tendrils of cold, passing through her.

Moving to a corner, she sat down, pulling her knees to her chest, resting her cheek on one of the knees sideways.

A lone tear traced down the corner of her eyes. A whimper passing through her lips.

Loneliness settled heavily on her chest, making it difficult for her to breath.

Did fate have some special hatred towards her? She wondered, first she lost her mother, and than she met the most beautiful family, that accepted her.

She met Krishn. Maiyaa Yasoda, Nand baba, Dau and everyone else, and they accepted her all so well.

Yet, destiny just had to make an appearance, and snatch her away from her family.