Chapter 34 (Part 1)

Rekha, Ruhi's step mother, gazed out of the window of her newly assigned room in the palace.

"Mother, what are you waiting for? If we waste our time like this, instead of ending Ruhi. Ashwin will marry her. And than, that good for nothing whore will be a queen. One that will make our life hell!" Pauravi complained, her voice laced with fury, while she glared at the ground.

Her jaw tightened, as she fisted her hand. Fury spread through her, a sparkle of flames of wrath burning her from within.

Seeing her mother smirk, Pauravi's fury kicked up a notch. As the inferno of anger set ablaze within her.

"Don't you worry dear. The problem is mostly solved." Barely veiled smugness laced her words, as she gazed out of the window. Time was right, and Ruhi's time would soon be up. . .

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"Rajkumari, the king has requested you be ready for the Shiv Pooja tonight. He said that it would be grand and people from different regions of Aryavart will be coming." The maid bowed, not waiting for a reply and left.

Ruhi frowned, why wouldn't anyone talk to her?

"Well, I am talking to you." Krishn's words floated in her mind, the sparkle of worry didn't go missing.

"Is everything okay?" She asked instead ignoring his comment, combing her hair, the repitative practiced movements of her hands undoing the knots.

"Sure will be." He answered vaguely, making her sigh. The man can never be clear about anything, but she had to trust him. Hopefully everything will be fine.

Her stomach crunched, feeling of foreboding setting heavily in her chest. While she looked down at her hands, something felt amiss, like somewhere something was going on wrong, but what?

Her eyes settled on the heavy blue lehnga, and jwellery that the king had sent out for the bride. It was so strange, that there was no female in the royal family, though the king had married multiple times.

Time and again, there would be a rumor about a queen going missing. But how much was it true? No one ever knew what happened to them.

No one.

Even prince Ashwin's mother for that matter, had gone missing one night, and none even blinked an eye. What happened to all those royal ladies.

Often maids working in the palace would go missing too, without a clue behind, it was one of the major reasons that people avoided working for the royal palace, but she wondered why?

Where did all those women go?

"Ruhi." The voice of Prince Ashwin startled her out of her stupor, as she blinked. Her eyes focused, as she straightened, bowing.

"Prince Ashwin. How are you doing?" She asked, her eyes lowering to the ground. She didn't know why, but this man aroused a fear in her like none other.

Initially she thought that she knew Ashwin, but now as she thought about the various incidents she was forced to think, that did she?

Was he pretending all the while?

How strange was it, that you spend an entire life with a person, and never know the real them? You never know what lurks behind the perfect masks that everyone holds on?