03 | The 23th

Through His Eyes✿

J A M I E

MY NOSE wrinkled in disgust as I concluded my make-up, I didn't want anyone to know I cried all night. It'd be so embarrassing if my employees were to see me like this.

Speaking of employees, It's rather embarrassing I haven't paid their salary for the month and it's almost Christmas.

I stared at myself in the mirror. "Jamie what are you going to do?" But my reflection stared back at me not offering any solution.

I slipped on my overall jacket and boots, holding my hair a slick ponytail before leaving the room. Then clogged down the staircase charged and elated for what was prepared for me. But I wasn't prepared for what was coming. We had visitors.

An older man dressed in a spotless blue suit and the lady in a peplum gown.

Unique looked up from the toaster smiling at me. "I'm making toast, come here." He whispered placing two slices on the plate.

I nodded. "Some other time." I tell him, more interested in the gathering than breakfast. He gave a sad pout and went back to what he was doing.

"Here she is." My mom announced walking to me. She smiled, dusting imaginary stray from my coat before she took me back to sit with them. I had no idea what was going on.

"She's beautiful." The other lady commented.

Of course I am.

"We met the priest." Mom continued making my brows furrow even more. "You guys are getting married before Christmas. You are getting married on the 24th."

They arranged a suitor without even discussing it with me?!

I pulled my hand out of my mom's, standing up in disagreement. It was suffocating and disgusting sitting among them.

"What do you mean I'm getting married?!"

* * *

Slumping on my neatly laid bed, I pulled my winter jacket tracing the ornate patterns on the bedspread with my fingertip. April sometimes shared the same bed with me, soft and new, neat as it was.

Staring at the engagement ring box, I recalled what my mom had suggested when she forced this on me. 'He can come pick her in the afternoon seeing the wedding is in a few days so they can get to know each other. I'm glad he's back from London.'  I ignored it thoroughly and went back to my closet. What bothers me was the fact that I couldn't believe I was doing this.

Few minutes later, I was downstairs in a fitted bronze silk gown, and an overall coat, a brand new stiletto pump and little makeup to doll my face. My hair perfectly brushed out and curled.

I found it difficult to breathe.

I've tried very hard to see myself as lucky. When my parents had first pushed me to go out on blind dates, I was surprised, surprised and then somewhat grateful. For with marriage, I had always seen a way out of the gilded cage. And April, with a man my father had borrowed money from, surely she could begin to live her own live.

I couldn't even believe I was seeing it from this perspective.

Staring at the restaurant in front of me, my grip on the wheel tightened. I don't need to be here. The last thing on my mind was turn the key and drive away. After all I was going to get married to someone I haven't seen before.