Chapter 5

Cato POV:

Marvel and I drive to my house talking about how he likes school. We met when over the summer because his dad works for my dad. When we pull into my driveway we run to the front door to make sure we have the door open for the guys.

After Marvel grabs a snack we hear a knock at the door. I go to get it. I expect it to be Finnick and Peeta, but to my surprise it's my neighbor, Ms. Higgins. What does she want? 

"Cato, I'm having an issue with my car. Come fix it," she says. She's like a million years old. Actually she is, like, sixty.

"I'm sorry Ms. Higgins, but I have company. I can't help you right now. Can it wait until tomorrow?" I say.

"No. It has to be now. I'm going on a date tonight. I need my car. Come fix my car," she says. How the hell did she get a date.

"You know what? My friend is good with cars. Do you want me to see if he can help me?" I ask.

"Will it be faster?" she asks.

"Yes," I answer.

"Okay," she says.

"I'll be right back," I say. I run into my kitchen where Marvel is getting soda. "Put down that soda and come help me." He turns around and looks at me puzzled. "My neighbor needs help with her car."

"Do I have to help?" he asks.

"If you do I'll buy you something," I say trying to convince him.

"Fine," he says. "But let me finish pouring my soda." I knew he would fall for the bribe. He can be so childish sometimes. That might be why we became such good friends in such a short period of time He finishes pouring his soda and we go meet Mrs. Higgins at my door.

"Ms. Higgins," I start, "this is my friend, Marvel. Marvel, this is my neighbor, Ms. Higgins."

"Hello," they both say. We walk over to her house and she leads us to her car.

"What's the problem?" I ask eyeing her car. There seems to be nothing wrong.

"When I go to shut the door it doesn't want to shut. After you slam it a few times it works. But it's too time consuming," she says.

"Which door is it?" Marvel asks. She points to the driver's door. "Okay. Is it unlocked?" She hit's a button and it unlocks.

"Let me see," I say walking over to the door. I open it and try to shut it. It doesn't work. I look around the door and see a wallet in between the door and the seat. "Ms. Higgins, there's a wallet right here," I say grabbing the wallet.

"Oh! That's where my wallet went," she exclaims. "Now does the door shut?" I attempt to shut it and it works. "Yay! It works! Thank you, boys." She walks over to us and hugs us.

"No problem. We better go, Marvel," I say. "Bye, Ms. Higgins." Marvel and I walk back to my house.

"She seems nice," he says.

"Actually, she's crazy. She was married. Her husband ran away screaming one day because she kept road kill in a box in her garage. Do you think she's nice now?" I challenge.

"Nice people can be crazy," he says. "You're a nice person that's crazy."

"Whatever," I say. When we get to my front porch, Finnick and Peeta are sitting on the chairs on the porch. "How long have you guys been here?"

"A few minutes," Finnick says. "Where were you two?"

"Higgins needed help with her car," I say. I open the door and we all walk in. "You can just grab what you want to eat. Marvel left a soda on the counter. So no touch."