Chapter 23

Kathlyn

It's been a crazy few weeks. Ever since the wedding, I haven't truly been sure which way is up. I was practically homeless and hotel hopping for four days before I caved and applied back at my old apartment building. But after living the high life for the short time I did, I decided to get something a little more, spacious.

I also made the hasty decision to take a well deserved break from social media. Marla advised me against it, because in essence, I am basically taking a break from my job, but I have enough saved to live comfortably for at least half a year if I wanted to, and I really just needed time to find myself.

I simply posted a picture of the word Hiatus in a pretty scripted font over a pink pastel background. It was as easy as that. No explanation, no long story about me being in a bad place, although I'm sure everyone knew by now how things went down.

I tried my hardest to avoid the never ending comment section, but I peeked anyway. Shockingly enough, my followers were incredibly supportive. They seem to love me much more than James ever did.

Speaking of James, his grand plan backfired. Shocking, I know.

He's currently getting all the attention he's ever desired, but it's so negative all of his current sponsors have pulled out of any and all business endeavors with him.

His brand launch flopped. Everyone boycott him and his merchandise the moment the news broke that he was a cheating scumbag. He's so hated, even old ad deals he's done have wiped anything James Bailey related completely clean from their history, even going as far as to deny ever working with him at all. It's made for quite the volume of entertaining conspiracy theory videos that I have shamelessly binge watched with a bucket of ice cream.

Looks like he'll be moving again sometime soon, perhaps to a small loft or a decent little penthouse or something.

As for Aspen and I, things have been odd, but I can't really be angry with her, despite how much I want to be. I'm grateful that she did what she did—deceitful or not. I just hope Aspen Bailey, is doing well in her new life as a real LA girl.

That's right. The show did indeed go on.

They're newly weds. And it looked like they at least had a good time on their honeymoon in Aruba.

Ashlyn finally decided she'd benefit from a change of scenery and left the shabby three-bedroom roommate situation she was in to move to New York to continue her studies...in my upgraded two-bedroom apartment.

Evelyn left the night of the wedding. I've been left to assume she's gone back to the old house in Pennsylvania because she's ignored mine and Ashlyn's constant attempts at apologizing to her.

As for me, I will go back to work when I'm ready. But I can never be ready until I face what's been eating at me.

And why's it so hard? Is it because everyone was right and I was wrong? Is it because he was right all along and I don't want to give him the satisfaction?

Well, that's Kath's way of thinking. But Kat was never so stubborn. She was wide-eyed and forgiving. A quality I lost when I lost my mother. When I lost my son. When I lost him. But he's here, wandering the same city as me again. He'd been in New York all along, that whole time and neither of us knew it. But I found him once, I can find him again. The internet is amazing. Needless to say, I didn't completely cut it out. With its help, and Simon's incautious sharing of his locations, I'm going to be Kat and tell him I'm sorry.

"You can do this, Kathlyn. I think today's the day." Ashlyn's voice was much cheerier these days. A new atmosphere can do that to a person, a new atmosphere and a new boo. She won't dish the details, but she's seeing someone and it's made all the difference in her life.