Chapter 4

Kathlyn

Twelve Days Until Wedding

Oh, James. I don't think I've ever adored anyone more—since Simon. But those were naive times. I was young. I'm not sure I ever even loved him, looking back on it now.

At least, not like this.

Not like two adults who know themselves. Who aren't getting in the way of each others growth. Someone who isn't witnessing me through the worst points in my life, but is here to embrace my best.

With his hands gripping my waist, he smiles down at me. James had these eyes that were entrancing, like light brown orbs that lit every time he saw me. The morning sun illuminated his irises.

He's perfect.

The way he looked at me made me believe I was perfect too.

He kisses my cheek once, and then again. I can feel whole only now when it's just us and a sunrise. A picture perfect view out at the calm tides in the not so far distance.

Maybe a cottage would have been lonely. Maybe an open loft would have been depressing. A mansion by the beach was what I didn't know I was missing.

This is the third day I'll be spending in our house and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life here.

I giggle as he spins me to face him, his gaze deepening like I'm the only one that matters. "What?" I smile, holding the front of his robe.

"I'm happy, Kathlyn." He shrugs, his hands sliding to the dip in my back. "Excited. This is a monumental time for me. For us."

I turn my head to stare out over the deck we're standing on in plush, morning robes after just sharing a shower.

"Today, you're joining my family—this is a big fucking deal." His breath breezes gently across my neck before his lips set there.

"And that makes me incredibly nervous, I mean what if your mom doesn't like me, or your dad thinks I'm not good enough for you, or..."

He lifts his head, jerking me playfully by my waist. "They're gonna love you, because I love you. They won't have a choice."

I nod as he comes toward me, kissing the corner of my mouth because I'm unable to control the crazy smile I can't get rid of—but I know it'll be gone as soon as the best-man makes another appearance.

How ironic. Best man...he's not even a good man. He's the fucking worst-man.

Simon made life so hard for me. We struggled the last two years together, the fights worsened. My intestines knot just thinking about it. But it's easy not to, because life is easy with James.

He's hired a team to put together this dinner for today. Everything's to be decorated beautifully in a woodsy, garden theme, food will be prepared and all that is left for me to do is put on my best dress and my even better face.

That would all be fine, if I wasn't expecting Simon to show.

And I'm not sure how it will go. I hadn't given my sister's the heads up and Aspen couldn't even remember his name so it was useless to tell her the truth. I'm in deep and all I can really do is hope for the absolute best and keep a calm face.

My best dress—that I spent early hours searching for at a mall since my things hadn't arrived yet—is red, ruched and backless. It stops above the knee, but it's not classless. I'd never want to look distasteful in front of James's parents.

A big breath leaves me as I bravely step out onto the backyard concrete.

Heels were not my thing. I'm normally running and climbing in tennis shoes and currently wishing I'd picked a shorter heel, but it's too late for all that. Everyone noticed me right away.