Chapter 10

Simon

I rush the revolving doors of our hotel. It didn't occur to me until recently that James had arranged for everyone in his wedding party to stay at the same hotel. His parents were even staying on the top floor in the more extensive suites. I ran into them on the elevator this morning.

I bypass the elevator, even though I'd just jammed my finger into the button five times, as I spot Ashlyn grabbing a plastic bag from the worker behind the counter of The Salad Bar.

I take a quick breath before hurrying over and watch her peek inside the bag before giving the cashier a nod.

"Ash," I call in a sharp whisper. Quickly enough I've got her attention. "Can I talk to you?"

"Um, yeah." She shuffles over to me, her arms tucked over her chest. "Are you really hooking up with Beth?"

I guess I didn't run Beth and I into her room quick enough that day, but that was besides anything that mattered. I grab Ashlyn by the elbow and lead her back up to her hotel room. I'm too paranoid that someone would hear from mine. Mainly Beth. She already thinks she's got leverage over me. I don't know what she'd do with this information if she got it.

I told Ashlyn everything. It came out of me so fast, like water shoots out of a bent hose that's just been freed. I couldn't hold it in. The whole thing made my blood boil. Kathlyn and I may have been done, but that didn't mean I wanted to see her fail.

"I didn't know who else to go to," I admit. Really I wanted to go to Kathlyn, but that would probably only result in her hating me even more.

She holds her hands over her face, exhaling with her eyes closed tight. "Simon you have to tell Kathlyn."

"I can't—"

"You have to, I mean you can't let her go through with this if that's going to be the outcome."

"She's not going to listen to me, that's why I'm telling you."

"But he's the one who told you. You heard it directly from his mouth."

"He's right, Ash," says Evelyn, strutting in slowly with a bag of popcorn. She's in a full green, mud face mask and silky, black button up pajamas.

"Damn it, Evelyn. This was a private conversation." I clench my jaw. Evelyn's got the biggest mouth. If I'm not the one to tell Kathlyn, she definitely will.

"Nothings private around here." She plops down on the couch. "Anyway, Simon's right. If he tells her that, she's gonna think he's the jealous ex grasping at straws to keep her from marrying his best friend."

Before I can process the fact that she actually was speaking sensibly, Ashlyn's wide eyes set on me.

"Well, aren't you?" She speaks like I'm going to back up that claim. "Isn't that true?"

It was half true, but I don't have to admit whether it is or isn't to these two goobers. I rake my fingers through my hair and let my hands slam down onto my thighs in frustration.

"It's obvious, Simon. We can stop pretending," says Evelyn over a throaty laugh.

"No. It's not true." I begin picking my fingers, I'm not a good liar. Truth was, I hated that she was marrying James. I wish I had enough nerve to tell him who she is to me and all she once meant to me, but I can't. It feels like it's too late anyway. "I've accepted that she's moved on and I'm just looking out for her."

"BONK!" Evelyn laughs. "Come on Simon, at the fucking dress shop? The way you were looking at her, we all caught it. You're a sore thumb."

"Fuck this." I roll my eyes, brushing my hair back again. Evelyn always knew how to piss me off. "I was just letting you know, Ash."