Chapter 9

Simon

Nine Days Until Wedding

"Simon the Sly-man!" James shouts as one with the five other men scattered around behind him, almost like they planned it beforehand. I give him a smile and a friendly handshake as he lets me in. I had quite a few nicknames. That one was coined way back in middle school.

Tonight was supposed to be just us guys hanging out together, smoking cigars and drinking whiskey while we played pool.

Since we reunited, James had been telling me all about this penthouse he'd bought and was having renovated. He described it as what would be his home away from home. When I didn't know he was with Kathlyn, it was easy to laugh about, but it's obvious what the penthouse is for. Nothing good.

The guys all nod at me as I venture deeper into the room. I'm familiar with them. One of them, I used to be decent friends with until time changed that, and the other four I only just met at the engagement party a month before.

They're already sitting around a small, but fully stocked bar. Pint glasses sitting on the sleek black countertops. The cabinets and appliances matched. I glance up at the high ceiling and then down at the shiny floor that looks like it would make footsteps echo if there wasn't any furniture. Some Travis Scott song is playing on his impressive stereo system, the pulsing bass sending sonic booms through the room.

I'm standing in the ultimate, LA bachelor pad. It's pretty sweet, I have to admit. But I have some reservations about it, considering his fiancée and whether or not she knew he had this.

I brush my finger tips over the edge of the pool table. It's immaculate, untouched. Brand new and none of these guys even seem interested in it. Not even James, the one who insisted on having one. They are all huddled up on their phones, babysitting five Highball glasses.

James takes a seat on the black, leather sofa, his arms out and resting at level with his shoulders and he kicks his feet up on the coffee table. The couch is overly large, like two sectionals pushed together—like the only thing missing is a stripper pole at the center. I wouldn't put it past him to already have an appointment to get one installed.

It's set in front of the panoramic window, giving us a breathtaking view of the city. I'm drawn to it and stop to look out for a moment, standing close enough to look straight down at the street far below.

"So? What do you think of my little penthouse?" I can hear the grin in his voice, although I keep my eyes out on the thousands of lights across the city.

"It's pretty fucking awesome." I finally pivot around. "Must have broke the bank."

"Nah, not even a dent, bro. I been pulling ad's the past couple of weeks. Money's been great."

"A little far from home, ain't it?" I keep my head down as I ask, actually embarrassed that I'm getting myself into a conversation about Kathlyn and I can't even stop myself. "What does Kathlyn think?"

James lets his tipsy head fall back and a throaty laugh coats the air between us. He wrinkles his forehead and admits, "Nothing. She doesn't know about it, man."

I shove my hands in my pockets, looking over at the other five who, for some reason, find that funny. I'm failing to find the humor in keeping things from a woman you haven't even married yet, but call me honest.

"Have a seat." James drops an arm to pat a spot on the cushion beside him. "Entertainment's coming soon. You seem kinda tense, what's up?"

I take slow strides to the seat. "I'm cool."

"Nah." James grabs my shoulder, taking a longer look at me. "What happened? Did someone die? You've been like this since you got here. You're being a downer."