Chapter 24: Hello Young one

word count is 4733

Few hours earlier

Alia had just walked out of the meeting. It was quite an arduous task for having to sit for hours to establish a way forward and coming up with more lethal ways on how to deal with vipers such as James and his crew. It no longer mattered whether the share price was dropping or not because of the recent scandals she just needed some peace and quite. Had Mark not been doing the heavy work load she would have dropped dead. Being in charge of a company merged that was in shambles was hectic. It was all too much to deal with emotionally or physically. She rubbed her neck. It was a little sore. She felt weak and tired. She started noticing the brief changes happening to her body. They were not there before but after the gynaecologist approximated the pregnancy she feared the worst. She did not know Nicholas for that long and was already expecting. She was scared to go for the ultra sound. With all the stresses around her and the media that seemed to be watching her every move she was not ready to expose their secret affair. It was ok when they speculated than when they confirmed.

Her stomach was bloated and seemed like the drugs the doctor prescribed were not doing much. She was scared to be alone but most of all she was scared that she had tried so hard not to be like Andrew but in the end she was him. Worse even. She had lied to her mom that she had been given the ectopic drugs. She was not ready to terminate the foetus. She was prescribed pain meds instead. Those that were anti inflammatory. She had no idea why she had chosen to keep the baby at that risk. She did not even allow the suggestion of a laparoscopy. Why was she going the extra lengths for one kid when she already had two? The one who will always be a reminder of her infidelity?May be it was the fact that she had the kid out of love even if it was not mutual. May be it was the fact that Nicholas taught her how to love herself and did not stay with her out of pity. Or maybe it was the fact deep down she liked him way too much and wanted a souvenir should they ever part ways.

When did life get too complicated? Her life had been nothing but pain and turmoil. Every time she moves forward something is always there to pull her back. Her heart is always bleeding. Why was there no easy way out? Where anguish and torment are just stories of the past? Here she was struggling to keep afloat while everyone was stuck on sinking her. Why was she the only one who had to suffer through and through? It seemed like her fate had been sealed the day she took her first breath. Good thing is she had made a name for herself when she could. She was a boss whose life had been nothing but bitter. Whose marriage had been nothing but pain and every night was a tear night. Her bed room knew of wails and silent battles. Yet she was expecting another kid. She rubbed her belly lovingly.

Her stomach churned and she rushed to her private bathroom to throw up. Some sharp pain pierced through her abdomen and she clutched it tightly as she tried to get air to pass through her lungs. Why now? She needed to be strong to survive this war that had been declared when Andrew and Nicholas had been arrested. Where was Edmund at? He was quite and that did not sit right with her. It seemed as she had deviated the pain seized a little. She stood from her crouching position and stood in front of her mirror by the sink. She was pale and her eyes were sulk-en. She was growing tired by the minute. She just needed her rest to boost her energy and her old self would be back.

"You know, I never saw that coming." She screamed when she walked back in her office. How was he even in there. Did her assistant fail to alert her? Then she remembered she had asked for some fruit juice that could only be fetched from across the street.

"What are you doing here?" She recovered her strength and took her seat behind her desk. This was definitely not the time to cower away.

"Congratulations with the board. I must say I did underestimate you." He said again as he made himself comfortable in one of the sofas facing her. This man always rattled her and made her shiver in the wrong way. It was the vibe he always got going. His edgy voice and his authority. The eyes that always seemed to be calculating moves. His shrewd appearance and his appearances whenever he is not needed. Not today, he would not intimidate her and especially in her own space.