Chapter 11:Old Habits

Nicholas had really tried to escape his father in law at all costs but his efforts bore no fruits. Edmund finally caught up with him at the bar.

"Well well if it isn't my son in law Nicholas. It is always nice seeing you." He patted Nicholas' back as he took a swig of his whiskey.

"Edmund. I wish I could say the same but unfortunately it is not the case." He said with so much contempt.

"Come on that is surely not a way to greet your father-in-law now is it?" He huffed.

"I don't know and clearly I don't care. What do you want?"

"I had you made quite some fortune for yourself from the deal you signed."

"Clearly not any of your business and if you have nothing constructive to say I will be on my way out." He was about to walk away when he said.

"Am vying for presidency come next year and it would be best for both our interests that the public does not find out about our bad blood and with your support all will sure get a chance what do you say?" Nicholas gave him a hearty laugh that somehow caught the attention of the other guests.

"That is a nice dream hell I will help you accomplish it but I am wondering where you will get the funding from or if the people will be stupid enough to vote for you but then again I forgot that hell will have to freeze over before you get my support."

"Don't worry am all sorted just thought that I should tell you in person. That is why I invited the lot to garner more support." He beamed as he turned towards his guests.

"Mhhh interesting. While we are at it could you tell me what Andrew is doing here? It was said he was your guest."

"Bad blood already and here I thought here you were playing his wife like a charm. Too much beauty or feisty for your liking? At least she saved you from drowning." he mused.

"That is far from the point. Stop being evasive and answer the damn question." Edmund finally pulled the serious face and answered the question.

"Well he is a great friend of mine that is all. We come from way back."

"Interesting. Is that why Alluxuries were not invited? Because that is surely painting the bad image to the media already unless you are blind."

"Naah not my problem. It was the boy's problem because he got two invites one for him and the other for his wife he just chose his good lay instead." He laughed.

"well I believe PR works in the essence that since I am now working with Alluxuries they should have been represented today but no you had to be you, selfish and greedy but congratulations because I will un-invite myself and lets see how the party works when the host walks out." He narrowed his eyes at him.

"You wouldn't dare." His voice was laced with so much venom.

"oh watch me it is my house I can do as I go-damn wish."

"What are you guys talking about?" Jasmine chimed in all smileys.

"My campaigns and the kind of strategy to be used. Any suggestions?" Nicholas had tolerated just enough.

"Excuse me." he retracted himself from the group and Edmund kept his gaze on him to make sure he did not screw things up. When he was satisfied he went on his usual talks with Jasmine. He gave her a run down of things on how she will be handling his campaigns and all the necessary equipments. They were so engrossed until they heard the clanging of a glass. Edmund dreaded what Nicholas was about to say. He was standing at the staircase just three stair up so as to address the crowd.

"Good evening ladies and Gentlemen As we all know Edmund is in town and I for one did not want to steal that spotlight away from him." He chuckled and the guests too joined him. He was a people's choice and knew how to work his crowd. " You are welcome into our house but since I was not invited by him I will take my leave. Do enjoy your evening."