Chapter 21: Power Struggle

"Father is everything alright?" Stephanie asked as she rushed towards her father in the waiting are in the hospital. He was about to answer when the operating doors opened and the doctor in scrubs walked towards them.

"She is stable now. Minor injuries but had a fractured rib. She needs constant monitoring. The surgery was a success." With that he walked away. Stephanie just turned to her father and embraced him heartily.

"Can we see her?" Her father asked and the retracting surgeon stopped mid step and turned to them.

"She is being transferred to her room. She is still unconscious so it may take about ten minutes to wake up. You can see her then." They all drew breaths of relief before her father turned to her.

"Stephanie, we cannot afford the bill but we had to bring her in she needed the emergency surgery."

"It is ok dad. I will settle it. There is something I need to tell you." She looked at her father to gauge his reaction. When he seemed less threatening she went ahead in explaining.

"I understand mom is in critical condition but I need to relocate you to somewhere safe. Might be somewhere far but at least you will be ok." she fidgeted. Twenty fours years and she is still scared of this man.

"Are you in trouble Stephanie?" He asked in the no nonsense tone. He may be old but he was still the king in the jungle ready to protect his cub named Stephanie.

"Sort of dad." She wept.

"Who is threatening you?" He asked again.

"It is no biggie dad just got into trouble with the big dogs. Am working with the Directorate of Criminal investigation am sure I will be safe then maybe I will tell you the whole truth. I can't right now."

"you are crying how am I to trust you to be ok?"

"Because I will be ok. You raised this girl remember." she smiled sweetly at him.

"Oh I did and if they persist knock them out." He said embracing her.

"I will. Can I also tell you something else?"

"Go ahead am your father." He reassured her.

"I aam p.ppregnant."

"WHAT!!!?" he was perplexed and moved slightly away from her. He was furious. He was a firm believer in traditions. Civilisation did not matter to him.

"How did this happen?"

"I got careless and slept with a married man. Dad am sorry."

"Oh wow he is married. Were you short of men?" She was quite.

"Answer me." he roared.

"It was supposed to be part of the job." she said timidly.

"What kind of job? One that you have to whore your way out?" Stephanie drew in a sharp breath before she answered.

"I promise to tell you everything after the war is over."

"Is he the reason you are in trouble?" She nodded her head yes.

"Where is he?"

"He is in jail?" He seemed more confused.

"Why is he there. You got pregnant with a felon?"

"No am the reason he is in jail. I was supposed to trap him."

"My goodness Stephanie. Did I raise you to be a home wrecker? And what charade is this that you have going on? And this war what is it?"