A Coffee Date Postponed

Briar's POV:

The last two weeks were stressful to say the least. Wan was still so small and needed a lot of attention. Calling my little one Wan was of course a credit to my native roots. Wanageeska was the full name meaning white spirit, due to the blonde hair. Wan for short, which I found cute. I was just glad that my mother was so all over him and helped me a lot out to keep an eye on him while I was working.

Wisapa was also a bit of a struggle. He was way less energetic and moping around a lot. I mean I get it. His daddy wasn't around and that made him feel lonely. The first few days he barely even ate. I was at a complete loss about how a ruthless man like Zane could be so caring and gentle with him. I full on expected him to do some kind of spec ops training with him. Then again he also was always gentle with me, save for his occasional rage fits. But he never actively tried to hurt me neither physical nor emotional.

And of course there were also the problems that came with running a business someone takes out of your control. My former partner's son was so angry that he didn't inherit it he almost managed to drive a rift between me and most of the important business partners I have. If it wasn't for Mr. Gaberotti I would be left without any mayor ones. Just glad he likes me almost as much as he liked Hank. Could go without him wanting to get me together with his son though.

I sighed and took a sip from my coffee while typing away on my screen, "Still too bitter Molly I need more sugar next time."

I know she wasn't here, so I just muttered it to myself. She always refused to get me the whole sugar dispenser since she was worried about my health, but seriously I can't live without my sugar rush. The knock on the door ripped me from my thoughts and I called the visitor in.

"Wayne. How can I help you?" I asked courtly.

"I'm sorry for the interruption Briar but ... Well ..." he rubbed his neck nervously.

"Out with it. I don't care for wasting time." 

"There is a situation. I normally have a protocol for it, but I think you might want to handle this one yourself." he said.

"A situation?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Just come look for yourself." He said and gestured for me to take the lead.

I passed him and gave him a questioning look while doing so.

"Black jack." he just said and followed me.

As soon as I entered the area with the tables I noticed a large crowd gathered around one table in particular. One of our bartending girls kept offering a man playing drinks he refused, and the dealer seemed rather nervous as he spotted me. When I spotted Zane sitting at the table with a rather sizeable stack of chips beside him, I cast Wayne a glare.

"He's been here for about two hours now and barely lost any games." he explained.

"Two hours? Why the hell is he here for two hours, and I am not informed about it? And of course he barely looses. He spent months watching every single dealer through the cams. Hell he probably knows better how they shuffle than they do themselves." I didn't wait for a response and made my way to the table.

The crowd parted, and I subtly gave the dealer a signal to make this his last round. He nodded and slipped the cards over to Zane. The first one was an ace of spades landing him on 11, the second a queen of hearts. Of course, he would get a blackjack in the one game I'm witnessing. I didn't realize he noticed me when he stood up and began gathering his chips.

"Don't bother." I told him and gestured for Wayne to take them. "Please come to my office sir."

He eyed me curiously and nodded.