Lone Wolf

Andrei's POV:

I. Don't. Like it.

As I was busy loading my golden handgun, I cast a sideways glance over from the passenger seat to the man driving. It was unusual that he would even be here on such a mission. Normally, his damn boss considered him much too valuable to send him to do the dirty work. What changed? What was going on here? Something had to be off.

Casting me a glance too, he scowled, "Would you stop staring at me? It's kind of unnerving, Z-"

"I told you to not call me that you fucker. Just call me Andrei. That's the alias I'm going by for now, anyway." I interrupted Mick.

Turning a bit, so I could look him in the eyes, "What the hell are you doing here, anyway? Is your boss not happy with your performance lately?"

He just gave a small chuckle and a confident grin, "Maybe I am here because you are slacking up lately."

"Bullshit. If I was slacking up, your boss would not pay me that well for a simple drug job." I answered while rolling my eyes and tucking away my gun.

His face became obviously more annoyed, "Then maybe I'm just here to keep you on a short leash, so you don't go overboard."

I leaned back in my seat and put my feet up on the dashboard, "Then he sends you? He knows I fucking hate you, Mick. If anything, you're driving my temper up and not calm it down."

He looked over at me and scowled, "Well, he has his damn reasons. It's not your place to ask, anyway. So be a good boy and keep your trap shut. And get your damn feet off my dashboard."

At this, I raised an eyebrow, "Your dashboard? Like this is your car. It's just one your boss gave you to keep playing chauffeur for the really important people."

"Ha. Important people? Like you? I don't think you should flatter yourself that much. We both know that you'd be long dead if you weren't so useful as his lapdog." he replied with a scoff.

"Besides, you are starting to slip up. Likely cause of that bitch you're dating. You should focus more on-"

He stopped when the barrel of my handgun pressed against the side of his head, "You should really watch your damn language around me, Mick. Keep talking like that, and you will regret it."

Mick shook his head, sighing, "You're not going to shoot me, Andrei. Not only would you know the consequences of it from my boss, but I'm also currently driving. And shooting your driver while your moving with the car is hardly clever."

I just scoffed and gave him a glare. Oh, how much I would enjoy putting a damn bullet in his head. But as much as it infuriates me, he was right. I could not afford to take steps the big guy doesn't like. True, I was also one of his more important assets, but that slick bastard was closer to him, which meant he was less easy to replace. I tucked the gun away again and turned to face out the window.

A distant thunder could be heard from the slowly approaching storm clouds that slowly crept towards the city.

After a few minutes of driving he broke the silence again, "You know ... If you like her that much, you should stay away. In your line of work, it's bad to associate with people that public. Briar Ray is a real big shot in the business world. If people knew you're with her, it would-"

"Mean they know to stay the fuck away, or I am going to raise hell on each and every single one of them." I ended his sentence, still staring out the window.

He didn't bring up any more conversation for the rest of the drive. As he pulled off the main road into a barely lit industrial area, I closed my eyes for a second to focus on the job. It still was weird for me. It was a simple job to deliver a contract for establishing a business connection with some local dealers. Apparently, they wanted to get a piece of the cake and the big guy was willing to share to strengthen his grip on the city.