back to reality

✧

(a/n: the words italicized mean they're talking on the phone.)

Evelyn sat at her vanity opening her laptop up, awaiting a call from her boyfriend. Ever since the championship game and since the news of his heart condition, he had been away talking to a bunch of different doctors in the state. The couple hadn't really spoken much since the game either, the night in the locker room basically consisted of him yelling for her to get out because one, he didn't want to see her crying his eyes out which by then was a little too late for that and two, because he didn't want to take all of his anger out at her.

A small smile came across her face once the call connected and she saw him popping into the screen. "Hey, Ash."

He looked a little defeated, but he wanted to try his best to keep a small smile on his face as he talked to his girlfriend considering they hadn't talked in a while. "Hey, babe. How are you?"

"I'm fine," she answered, shrugging her shoulders. "I've seen Layla a few times...she looks about as good as you do. Um, Coop's still in the hospital. But, uh, how are you...Have the doctors said anything good?"

"I don't really want to talk about doctors, right now," Asher spat, narrowing his eyes through the screen of his phone. "Can we please talk about something that doesn't involve my heart or the doctors?  What do you have planned for the day?"

She widened her eyes at the harshness in his voice. "Um, Ricky wanted to go to the football field. He said he wants to stay in shape for the All-American game and he asked me to tag along."

"Look, Evie, I gotta go," Asher said, slightly frowning once she mentioned football. "We'll talk later, I guess."

"Ash, I'm sorry," she sighed. "I shouldn't haven't mentioned football considering what's going on with you right now. But, you know you can talk to me, right? Tell me how you're feeling, please?"

"You wanna know how I'm feeling?" Asher sarcastically stated. "Like I don't want to talk about this, Evelyn!"

Before she could even utter a word, he had ended the FaceTime, making the screen go blank and all Evelyn could see was her shocked expression staring back at her. She and Asher didn't argue much, in fact, sometimes it kind of bothered her how normal their relationship was. But, him losing football could potentially be something life-altering. And not only for him. But, for their relationship as well because she had no idea how he was going to handle this.

☆☆☆

Enrique had been running through some old plays on the football field, his sister's job was to record so he could see the mistakes he was making and so that he could improve on them. He knew he screwed up when he took Asher up on the whole, let's do steroids thing. But, the All-American game was his idea of redemption and although he had been playing many games and even won a championship since then, he still felt the need to prove himself.