bits of inspiration

✧

Evelyn's eyebrows were pinched together in frustration as she scrolled away on her computer. The Hernandez girl had been doing extensive research on what to major at once college came around, she knew that as much as she loved volleyball, she needed something to fall back onto when her sports career was over. Especially with Asher's life-altering news about football, something like that could happen to her in a heartbeat and she wanted to be prepared for it.

"What's got you frowning?" Asher asked. He had been sitting across from her at a table and annoying her by all the furious taps on the keyboard he had been doing.

"Got to find a major," she sighed. "And I don't know what I want to do. I don't think I can be a doctor, I probably can't be a lawyer 'cause whenever I argue with someone I cry, and I definitely can't play volleyball until I'm all old and gray. My knees crack whenever I bend down!"

"Hey, it could be worse," he sighed. "You could be stuck typing a college essay about a passion that is so meaningful. I am blank."

"You know, Ash," she smiled, propping her chin in her hand. "You're taking this a lot better than I expected. I mean I love you but as your girlfriend, I am allowed to point out your flaws, and you kind of spiral when things go bad."

"Yeah, my brutally honest girlfriend," he rolled his eyes, continuing to type away on his computer. "But, you're right. Trust me, I had my moments but I remember that self-destructive crap is what got me here. Tough lesson to learn."

"But, you learned it," she smiled softly. "That's what matters."

"Babe, in the past 18 months, I got a scholarship to my dream school and then I lost my dream of playing football at Coastal forever. Oh, and I almost lost you. Twice," he sighed. "I think I'm good on lessons learned."

"You could never lose me. But, fair enough," she nodded, reaching over to close his laptop. "Let's go."

"What?" he questioned. "You're trying to figure out what you want to do with your life and I'm typing this essay."

"Yeah, and so far, you've gotten nothing done," she retorted. "And I've got no idea on what I want to do. So, get up. We're going to my place."

He let out a small chuckle. "You're bossy."

She sent him a mischievous grin as she packed up her belongings before pulling on his hand and running out of the cafe. Asher was caught off guard by her sudden need to leave the establishment but he didn't care, he was clearly not getting any work done, and neither was she.

☆☆☆

Once the couple arrived at her house, she quickly took her surroundings in and took note of the lack of cars in the driveway. Meaning her parents were gone and so were both her brothers. Asher dropped his things off at the front door before she tugged on his hand and pulled him towards the bar that her parents had located near the living room.