blindsided

✧

After she had told her dad, all hell had practically broken loose in the house, her mom flew back from New York and cussed her brother out in Spanish for being idiotic. They attempted to ground him but his anger got the best of him and he stormed out with his phone and car. But, they managed to find him and dragged him back to the house and sat him down, practically yelling in his face that they'd be hauling his ass to the doctor no matter what he said.

"You're a nosy bitch!" Enrique spat, storming into his sister's room. "You had no right to go to dad and tell him that."

"I had no right?" she retorted, pushing herself off of her bed and racing up to him. "You could've killed yourself by playing football if you never got checked out! As your sister, I think I had the right!"

"No," he argued. "You had no right. I'm 18, I'm allowed to do whatever the hell I want to do with my life, Evelyn! We're not kids anymore, I don't need you always in my business going to mom and dad about shit! So, stay the hell away."

"We live in the same house, dumbass," she scoffed. "What do you want me to do? Avoid the kitchen if you're in there."

"Yeah," Enrique shot back. "You're such...such an annoying bitch! We've been stuck to each other's side since we were literally born. But, when I'm off in another state playing football I won't even have to worry about you because you'll be here at Coastal. You're the whole reason why I chose to go to Texas because I hate you, Evelyn! You're always in my business, and I'm sick of it. So, stay the hell away from me."

Evelyn's jaw dropped in shock, tears welling up in her bottom lash line. "You're an asshole, Enrique. Get the hell out of my room!"

☆☆☆

Evelyn looked across the table in confusion. It was no secret that she had committed to Coastal California once she told Asher it kind of spread around, and then she and Destiny had their whole official signing day at school a couple of days later. But, when Spencer asked her advice on picking a college, she couldn't have been more confused. Plus, the way he and Liv were staring at her made her feel cornered.

"Well?" Liv raised her eyebrow. "Are you gonna answer him?"

"Sorry," Evelyn shook her head, snapping herself out of her daydream. "I'm just confused. Why are you asking me?"

"Cause you're my only friend that committed to a D1 school," Spencer said. "And I just found out Coach Dante, he's the one who recruited me, quit. So, how'd you choose Coastal?"

"Didn't Darnell commit?" she questioned.

"Correction, his only friend that is in the same state as him," Liv spoke for her boyfriend. "Come on, just answer the question."