teenage fever

✧

"A toast to...Bellas before fellas."

Olivia, Layla, and Evelyn all clinked their glasses against each others. The three had decided on a small brunch at Liv's house to catch up. Something that the three of them hadn't been able to do in a while. With Liv, distancing herself from the two, Evelyn being occupied with her ongoing volleyball season and Layla in the studio with Coop.

"Cheers to that," Evelyn said.

"I'm surprised you weren't holed up in the studio this weekend," Liv pointed out to Layla.

"Yeah, I'm taking a break from the studio," Layla admitted as she sat down. "Things got weird between Spencer and Coop last night, and now I'm worried that things are gonna get weird with me and Coop, so—"

"So, you're hiding," Liv finished for her. "You hide and Evie avoids."

"Hey!" Evelyn defended. "We do not!"

"We so do," Layla sighed. "What about you, Evelyn? Any big plans with Asher?"

The girl had visibly winced at those words. She still hadn't told her friends what went down between her and Asher. Things between the couple still weren't good even after her game.

"What's with the face?" Liv asked.

"Asher knows Vanessa," she confessed. "Like, he knew her before she came to Beverly. They apparently met on some beach in Mexico and formed some strong friendship. Me and him are still together but, I told him I needed space it's been like a week or two. Oh, and he didn't bother to tell me until weeks later."

"Oh, Evelyn," Layla's shoulders sagged. "I'm sorry. I know, that night at the cafe we had that talk and you were so sure that there was something up with them."

"Wait, you two talked about this?" Liv asked, suddenly feeling like a third wheel.

"It was that night of the failed attempt of a triple date," Evelyn told her. "I left like, right when you arrived so we didn't get to talk."

"Oh, right," Liv faked a smile. "Any plans with Spencer, Layla?"

"He went to his family's cabin," Layla said. "This morning, to clear the last of the boxes and his head, I guess. I offered to go with him but he said he wanted to be alone, so—"

"Well, this is the first time he's been back since he lost his dad there," Liv pointed out. "I mean, is it really a good idea for him to be all alone?"

"Hmm," Evelyn raised her eyebrows. "All of us at a cabin. Sounds...thrilling."

☆☆☆

A line of three cars followed each other on the highway as they made their way up to Spencer's family's cabin. Enrique, Evelyn, and Asher had gone in her car, Simone, Jordan, and Liv crammed into Jordan's convertible, while JJ, Layla...and Vanessa went in JJ's SUV.