sweet gestures

✧

"I'm surprised you're not at the football game. It's Friday night."

Evelyn lifted her head from her computer as she heard the voice of her father's and watched as he peeked his head into her room. She gave him a shrug while she tended back to her homework not in the mood to explain why she didn't go.

Her father entered her room and sat on her bed as he awaited an answer. "Evelyn, I'm waiting for an answer."

"Why aren't you at the game?" she asked, closing the lid of her computer. "Shouldn't you be there supporting Ricky?"

Enrique had surprisingly gotten the okay from Coach Montes. She was finally letting up and allowing him to play in the game that was occurring that night. But, only because their backup runningback was injured so she didn't have much of a choice.

"Your mom and Ale are there," he answered. "I'm on Evelyn watch."

Her eyebrow lifted up at his response. "Evelyn watch?"

"I need to make sure you don't throw yourself off of your balcony," he chuckled, pointing at her balcony doors. "You've been moping around and you're making everyone else around you depressed. I got an email from your coach telling me how miserable you've been looking at practice."

"If I told you I was fine. Would you believe that?" she asked.

He shook his head. "Nope."

Evelyn closed her eyes debating on whether to tell her father the truth or not. Compared to her last relationship, Asher and her dad had a pretty good bond with one another, and if she was just overreacting she didn't want things to change between them. Her father's approval of her boyfriend meant everything to her.

"It's about, Asher," she confessed.

"I figured," Joaquin said. "Continue."

"Um, there's this new girl at school. She's actually Coach Montes' daughter but, Asher met her before she came to Beverly," she sighed, fiddling with her comforter. "He said they met on some beach in Mexico and apparently, they became like besties or something stupid like that."

"You sure do know how to pick 'em. Huh, Evie?" he joked.

"Dad, this isn't funny," she grumbled.

"It was a joke," he chuckled, raising his hands defensively. "Look, I don't usually like to give my opinion on your love life because I'd rather not fight with you. But, I hated Jordan as your boyfriend—"

"What?" she cut him off. "Dad! I dated Jordan for a year and you wait until now to tell me you hated him."

"You didn't let me finish," Joaquin held his hand up to her face. "I didn't like him as your boyfriend, I thought he was a bad guy, and clearly, I was right. You were always unhappy in that relationship. Arguing, making up, arguing, it was just an endless cycle. You know, Asher came to me and your brother before you guys started dating and asked if we were okay with him asking you out. I see you and Asher together and he makes you happier than I've seen you in years."