xxxvii.

chapter thirty-seven.

Matthias and Klaus have been on the road for days.

After Matthias let Damon take Elena, he then grabbed Klaus and the two fled from the scene. They're traveled for days with Klaus turning every single werewolf they've met so far, but only under Matthias' way of doing it.

Matthias had to remind Klaus that people deserved the choice, so they gave the wolves one. If they wanted to stop being chained to the moon then they would be changed, but if they didn't want to be immortal, then they didn't have too. It was safe to say that every wolf jumped at the opportunity not to turn anymore no matter the consequence.

Matthias had told Klaus about Katherine leading them to Mikael, because Stefan was going to do it anyways, so she beat them too it. Thankfully, with Stefan's humanity off and his only thought being to do what Klaus told him to do before they left, he's failed to mention that Katherine was never going to be on their side.

Not that it mattered, it gave them an upper hand, one that Katherine enjoyed having.

"You know, you would be more attractive if you smiled more." One of the hybrids, Gen, pointed out.

Matthias looked at Gen and smirked at her. "And why would I want to do that?"

Gen felt her cheeks up and Matthias knew of the affect that he had on her. He knew that she had feelings for him, but he didn't feel anything for the wolf. He still wanted one person, even if that person didn't want him. That didn't mean that he didn't enjoy teasing the wolf in front of him, he just found it as a source of entertainment.

"Matthias." Matthias tore his eyes away from the wolf and looked over to his brother. "Come."

Matthias nodded at Gen before walking over to his brother, he took note of how Klaus was fidgeting and seemed to be on edge.

"What happened?" Matthias asked him with furrowed brows.

"You were right." Klaus told him with a shaky breath. "Katherine made Mikael appear, the Salvatore's believe that they can get him to kill me and in turn kill you."

Matthias' jaw clenched, "No one will hurt you especially Mikael." Klaus nodded his head, his eyes glossed over as his childhood moments with Mikael came forward. Matthias noticed this and placed his hands on Klaus' shoulders, making the hybrid look at him. "I will never allow him to touch you again."

"Then let's go kill our father." Klaus told him and Matthias nodded his head.

Looking at the hybrids with them, Klaus let out a sigh as he realized that he actually enjoyed his time away from Mystic Falls.

Though he wouldn't dare say it aloud.

⨳ ⨳ ⨳

Matthias and Klaus took separate cars back to Mystic Falls while their hybrids followed behind them. Matthias was listening to a random song on the radio when his phone began to ring, he looked at the screen in his car and was surprised to see Bonnie Bennett calling him.

"Ms. Bennett, to what do I owe the pleasure?" He asked her with an amused smile.

"Wipe the smirk off your face Matthias." Bonnie demanded as she knew that he found this funny.

Matthias chuckled, "Sorry, kind of." He told her and she rolled her eyes. "Why are you calling me? We've never actually spoke to one another much."

Bonnie let out a loud sigh, "It's not that I hate you, but you're Klaus' brother and that means we can't be friends." Bonnie began to rant, "But no one here understands me, and I just need someone to rant too that I know will be honest and upfront with me."

Matthias nodded his head, "And you chose me? The backstabbing Mikaelson?"

"You were nice to me, to all of us before Klaus came to town." Bonnie reminded him. "I know what you've done and right now, I don't care. I just need you to listen."

"Okay." Matthias nodded with a shrug.

Bonnie sighed in relief before she started ranting to Matthias. She told him about how Jeremy had died and she brough him back to life, how that had consequences where he could see the dead, his dead ex's to be exact. She told him about the other side coming down for a moment and how the dead were able to be seen, and how she made sure that the ghosts were gone but that she and Jeremy broke up.

Matthias listened to her rant to him about how she felt betrayed and hurt. She loved Jeremy, she had risked her relationship with the witches for him and he went and fell in love with his dead girlfriend all over again. She was holding in a mixture of emotions whenever she thought about him, and she hated how she was angrier than anything else.

"Thank you." Bonnie said after her rant.

Matthias was shocked at this revelation. "So, what have you done to help yourself?" He asked her.

Bonnie frowned, "Help myself?"

"Yes." Matthias nodded, "Like have you spent time alone doing things that make you happy. Have you taken time for yourself? Or are you there whenever they need a witch?"

Bonnie couldn't help but feel slightly offended, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"What I mean, Bonnie Bennett, is that you do everything to keep everyone else alive or safe, but you haven't put yourself first." Matthias told her seriously. "You keep running to them, but who's running to you when you need someone?" Bonnie bit her lip as she took in his words. "Okay, answer me this, where are you when they need you?"

"I'm there." She told him.

"And where are they when you need someone?" He asked her.

"With Elena." She breathed out softly.

Matthias nodded his head, "So again, you need to take yourself out of the equation and make time for yourself."

Bonnie nodded her head, "You're right."

"I always am darling." He told her with a smirk. "I'll see you soon."

With that he hung up the call and Bonnie was left with conflicting feelings about whether or not Matthias was actually as evil as they made him out to be.

thank you for the Bonnie idea!
I love the idea of Matthias and Bonnie possibly being a thing while he has his humanity off, ah such a perfect idea but I'm actually going to make them friends!

but next chapter, Homecoming!
let's go!

- M A R I E