xiv.

chapter fourteen.

Matthias spent the rest of his day drinking at the Grill, he had gotten a text from Klaus telling him that he was arriving, and it was enough to kill his mood. He just wanted to be rid of Mystic Falls already, but now that wasn't possible.

Every inch of his body burned for her, he wanted her, but he didn't want to lie to her either. He hated lying to Elena, but he knew that when she found out everything then there was no way that she would want to be with him.

With a sigh, he downed another shot before looking around.

He hadn't realized how packed the place had become, hell he didn't even notice that the sun had gone down at this point as well. Shaking his head, he ordered another drink before standing and moving away from the flooding people there to see the live band.

He froze in place when he spotted Elena in the crowd with her friends and Aunt. His heart sunk at the thought of having to speak to her but when their gazes met, he simply raised his glass before downing it and moving out of her eyesight.

"Was that Matthias?" Bonnie asked her.

Elena nodded with a sigh, "I know that he lied to me, to all of us, but I can't ignore what I feel." She told her best friend. "He makes me feel like no matter what I do, no matter what choice I make no matter how bad or crazy it is, he's going to be there every step of the way." She confessed to her. "I just... I wish it was easier."

"I say go for it." Caroline said as she listened in. "Elena, I know that you love Stefan but with Matthias it's different. Even Bonnie and I can see that it's different." Bonnie nodded her head in agreement. "So, I say go for it."

Elena was about to say something when Jenna spoke up, "I need a drink." She muttered before walking off after spotting Alaric.

The three girls watched her walk off before Caroline spotted Matt and a large smile appeared on her face. "Hey, Matt." She greeted only for him to walk past her.

Silence and awkwardness engulfed them, and Caroline felt her heart sink at the fact that he was ignoring her. She knew that she loved him, that she wanted to be with him, but this secret was something that could either make or break them.

"Things just got real awkward." Bonnie commented as they watched the band from their spot before she looked to Caroline. "He said the ball's in your court."

"Yeah, but I can't do anything about it." Caroline told her dejectedly.

"Why not?" Bonnie questioned her, "All you do is talk about how much you care about him."

"Yeah, but I am still keeping so many secrets." Caroline told her.

"Alaric's in the same boat with Jenna and maybe that's our mistake. We're trying to protect the people that we love by keeping them out of it, but in the end, we're hurting them anyway." Elena told her after glancing at Alaric who sat at the bar alone.

Caroline remained silent for a moment, allowing Elena's words to sink in as she glanced at the band that was ending their set. She knew that the idea forming in her head could end badly but she was willing to take that risk.

She glanced at Elena and Bonnie before shaking off her jacket. "What are you doing?" Elena asked her confused but took the jacket from the girl anyways. "Where are you going?" Elena called after her when she took off towards the stage.

"What is she doing?" Bonnie asked Elena but the two were both just as confused.

Caroline climbed up on stage and took the microphone. "Hey, everybody." She was greeted with silence. "Let's hear it for the band!" Everyone cheered and started clapping.