xlvii.

chapter forty-seven.

Elena's head was spinning after Stefan had snapped Damon's neck, she felt back about it, but she knew that it was the only choice that they had. She felt even worse when Elijah approached her and asked for her to tell him of what she said, which she knew that she wouldn't do.

With a racing heart and body full of nerves, she knocked on the door.

Finn opened the door and was pleased to see that she was alone. "You're alone." He noted. "Wise choice."

Elena eyes the burning item in Esther's hand, something the witch noticed. "It's only sage." She reassured the girl. "I've spelled it so we can speak freely without fear of being overheard. That'll be all, Finn. Thank you."

Elena didn't miss how Finn's jaw clenched in anger as he closed the door along with his departure.

"Don't mind him." Esther told her. "I've cast a spell on him, demanding his loyalty to my cause but you must have a million questions for me, Elena. Please." She motioned towards the couch.

Elena walked over and sat down, Esther doing the same as well. "How are you alive? Are you a ghost or...?" Elena trailed off.

"Not exactly. When I died, the witch Ayana preserved my body with a spell. She was a close friend of mine, an ancestor of your friend Bonnie." She explained.

"So that's why only Bonnie and her mother could open up the casket." Elena realized.

"They complete the Bennett bloodline." Esther told her. "I drew power from them and their ancestors, who were with me on the other side."

"So, you've been on the other side for a thousand years?" Elena questioned.

"Nature's way of punishing me for turning my family into vampires. But there is a way for me to undo the evil I created." Esther told her.

"You're here to help us kill Klaus, aren't you?" Elena asked her, a tinge of hope building inside of her.

"One thing at a time, Elena. For now, I simply need your help." Esther told her.

"How?" Elena asked her.

Esther stood up and walked over to where she was prepared to cast a spell. She lit the candles as she spoke, "I understand Rebekah shared the story of my family..." She blew out the match she lit. "How I upset the balance of nature by turning my children into vampires."

"She said you did it to protect them from the werewolves." Elena told her.

"It's true." Esther agreed before pouring liquid into a cup. "But in no time at all, they began to feed on human blood. They ravaged the town with no remorse. Eventually Niklaus and Matthias turned against me."

Elena took a breath as she approached Esther. "How are you gonna kill him? He's immortal and he's linked to Matthias."

"It will take time, magic, and your assistance." Esther told her.

Elena gave her a confused look, "What do I have to do with it?"

"My children believe I'm holding this to celebrate our reunion. But in truth, I've gathered them together to perform a ritual. The first step requires blood from a doppelganger." Elena was alarmed at this. "Only a drop." Esther reassured her. "Its essence will be in the champagne toast later on this evening." Esther then grabbed the needle from the table, "Will you do it?" She asked while cleaning it once more before looking to Elena. "Or shall I?"

Elena didn't miss how she ignored her question about Matthias as she took off her glove and held out her hand to Esther. Esther took her hand and pricked her pointer finger, Elena made a face at the feeling before Esther set down the needle and positioned Elena's hand over the liquid and allowed several drops to fall before letting go.