xlviii.

Matthias wasn't involved much in this chapter since he would 100% be against Elijah's way of doing things and I am convinced that he would've done everything differently.

chapter forty-eight.

Bonnie was sitting with Elena as she rambled about Damon, which irked her, but she bit her tongue.

"He was gloating, like actual gloat. Like he was proud of himself for sleeping with her." Elena scoffed before sighing and looking at Bonnie. "Is it working?" She asked.

Caroline then walked into the room. "It's not working." She told them. "I can hear every word you're saying about Damon, the vampire gigolo."

"I don't know. It's a tricky spell." Bonnie told her.

"When Esther did it, she kept the sage burning. There was a lot more smoke." Elena explained to her.

Bonnie shook her head and sighed, burning the sage again. "All right, try it again."

Bonnie waved around the sage before she and Elena looked at Caroline. Caroline huffed before closing the door once more and standing on the other side to see if the spell was working.

"About Matthias." Bonnie spoke up and Elena tensed. "You should know that the only reason he and I kissed is because of you."

Elena looked confused by that as she looked at Bonnie. "What?"

Bonnie sighed, "Elena, what did you feel when Matthias let me kiss him?"

Elena was quiet as she searched for an answer, Caroline was on the other side of the door still able to hear everything as she was anxious to know Elena's answer as well. Caroline didn't like that Elena was dating Matthias, but she also didn't like that Elena cheated on him with Damon.

"I felt hurt and betrayed." She sighed out.

"Just like Matthias felt when you let Damon kiss you." Bonnie told her and Elena realized that this was what Matthias felt. "You weren't hearing him Elena when he talked to you about his feelings, sure you understood but did you really?"

Elena ran a hand through her hair, "I really fucked up, didn't I?"

Bonnie shrugged, "Maybe but he loves you and he wants this to work between you two." Bonnie told her softly. "But speaking of Esther, you should know she came to see me and Abby this morning." Bonnie confessed to her.

"And all this time, you let me vent about Damon?" Elena asked her.

"I don't want you to worry." Bonnie told her.

"Ok, well, what did she want?" Elena wondered.

"She wanted to introduce herself." She told Elena. "Abby and I helped bring her back. She's channeling our entire ancestral bloodline for power. I think she thought she was being polite."

Elena sat on the edge of the bed, "Ok, well, is there a way to stop her from channeling you?"

"Even if there was, why would I want that?" Bonnie asked her confused. "She's going to unlink Matthias from Klaus and then kill everyone, but Kol."

"Wait what?" Elena frowned. "She had to link them all together last night."

Bonnie bit her lip, "I kind of stopped Kol and Matthias from drinking last night." She confessed and Elena's eyes widened. "They're my friends and it felt wrong, I didn't know what she was doing plus Matthias adores Kol."

Elena sighed, "I just keep thinking... Before the sun and the moon ritual, Elijah found a way to keep me alive." She explained. "And now I'm in the exact same position, and I'm just gonna let him die? It just doesn't feel right." She said with a shake of her head.