xxiv.

chapter twenty-four.

Matthias was back at the apartment, a hand wrapped around Klaus' throat with a deadly look in his eyes. Greta and Katherine stood in the kitchen together, a glass of wine in their hands as they knew not to intervene.

"You threatened me?" Matthias snarled and Klaus looked at him with a bored expression. "You dare threaten to hurt Katherine if I didn't come back?"

"While you've been off playing house, I've been preparing." Klaus snarled at him while removing Matthias' hold from around his neck. "It's only natural that you be by my side when the time comes." Klaus told him nonchalantly.

Matthias scoffed, "Please you want to know what I know." Matthias told him. "Without me, you'd be in the dark."

Klaus had never heard Matthias be so defiant about this, Matthias had always listened to Klaus with ease, but ever since growing attached, he's changed. Klaus hated it. Klaus preferred when Matthias didn't have emotional connections unless it was towards himself and Katherine. Now, there was other people involved.

"Do my ears deceive me brother or do you actually care for them all?" Klaus asked him and Matthias knew what Klaus was doing.

Loyalty check.

The look in Klaus' eyes were daring Matthias to say yes, Klaus was practically edging Matthias on at this point and Matthias hated it. His loyalty was not to be bound to Niklaus and Niklaus alone, it shouldn't be like that.

"Careful Nik." Matthias snarled. "You forget that I am the only one who stands by your side out of loyalty and not fear." Matthias reminded him and Niklaus looked away from his gaze. "Yes, I care for someone other than you and Katerina, shocking, but that is my sin to bare."

Klaus was about to respond when Matthias' phone rang. Matthias didn't spare Klaus another glance as he was answering the phone and walking out the apartment door.

Not before both Katherine and Klaus heard that Damon had fed Elena his blood and the girl was in hysterics not talking to anyone.

⨳ ⨳ ⨳

Matthias arrived at the Salvatore Boarding house to find Damon and Alaric gone. He could hear Stefan trying to coarse Elena out of the room, pleading with her to let him in and to talk to him, but she remained silent.

Matthias rushed beside Stefan, the male sighing in relief when he appeared. "She won't let me in."

Matthias nodded and waited for Stefan to leave before he knocked on the door himself. "Lena, it's me."

Elena felt relief flood her veins at the sound of Matthias' voice, before she opened the door and crashed into him. Matthias held her close to him as he backed them into the room and closed the door behind him.

"Why would he do this to me?" Elena cried softly while clinging onto Matthias.

Matthias ran his hand through her hair and rocked them. "I don't know baby." He told her. "I don't know."

Any other time, Elena would be swooning over the endearment that left his lips and while her heart did go whoosh, she was still heavily distraught right now.

"What am I going to do?" She asked him softly. "I'm going to become a vampire."

Matthias had never wanted to kill Damon more than he did right now, sure there were other instances but this one topped the cake.

"I'm sorry." Matthias apologized. "Do you want me to distract you?" Elena looked at him confused, "Come." He took her hand. "Let's go on a walk."

Elena let Matthias lead her out of the room before out of the house entirely. They headed out the front door and Elena gasped when Matthias scooped her into his arms and then sped off. A laugh left her lips as she clung onto him for dear life, and everything passed by them like a blur.