i.

Matthias' outfit for when he meets everyone is up above!

chapter one.

Katherine had been gone for almost a month now, the full moon had come and gone and after she confirmed the doppelganger, Klaus and Matthias agreed they weren't going to wait another second. Well, Klaus decided, Matthias didn't care much about the curse place on him and his brother aside from the loophole that was possibly there if they broke it.

Klaus left Matthias to his own devices while he tied up some loose ends before their departure to Mystic Falls.

Matthias flipped through the pages of his mother's grimoire before finding the spell that he was looking for. A frown was settled onto his face as he looked it over for what could be the thousandth time. Matthias was riddled with uncertainty, he was sure that his mother hated him and his brother, or more so what they were, and he was positive that she had something up her sleeve.

Matthias sighed in annoyance, hating how he wasn't getting anywhere with the spell. He's been looking over the spell for loopholes or tricks for centuries now. Just like every other time, Matthias wasn't entirely sure what he was looking for, yes, he knew that he was looking for loopholes but just what kind of loophole? What was the trap that his mother placed on the spell?

He reached for his mug again only to still when he heard someone approaching the door. Not moving an inch and holding his breath, he waited until the door was opened before he set down his cup and rushed at the culprit. His hand wrapped around their throat as he pushed them against the wall, a snarl left Matthias' lips at the sight of who it was.

"Nice to see you too Matthias." Elijah greeted making Matthias tighten his grip around his neck.

"What are you doing here Elijah?" Matthias questioned with a deadly glare. "You're not welcomed here, not anymore."

"First, if you would be so kind as to release me." Elijah choked out.

"Why?" Matthias snapped at him. He was more than ready to snap Elijah's neck for hurting his best friend.

"It's about the doppelganger." Elijah breathed out before Matthias let him go. Elijah gasped for air as he glared at his brother before he fixed his suit jacket. "I would think that being family would grant me a warmer greeting."

Matthias scoffed and walked away from him. "Some family, you're looking for ways to kill Klaus." Matthias growled. "That's no family of mine."

"He dumped our family at sea!" Elijah snapped at him, the rage evident in his eyes as Matthias turned to face him. "Death is mercy instead of what I'll do to him."

Elijah's threat only angered Matthias more but he bit his tongue. Elijah had left because Klaus lied about dumping their family at sea, Matthias played dumb and pretended not to know a thing. When in reality, he knew very well that his family laid in a unit locker not too far from their penthouse apartment, but Elijah didn't need to know that.

Matthias would always protect Klaus, as his older brother, Matthias swore to it after they had changed. However, Matthias realized the opportunity that this gave him. Elijah believed that Matthias was left in the dark, that Klaus would actually lie to him in order to manipulate Matthias to his will.

However, Elijah had no clue just how much Matthias really knew.

"I still don't believe you!" Matthias told him sharply. "Klaus wouldn't do that."

Elijah shook his head with a bitter chuckle, "You're still so naive to protect him. Help me take him down Matthias, and I will prove to you that he's been deceiving you."