THIRTY-EIGHT

ZANDILE MOTAUNG

Five years later

“Musa, if you don't wake up you're going to be late for work.”
“Two more minutes baby, just two more minutes.”
“You've been saying that for the past thirty minutes, vuka!”
“Is Junior awake?”
“A long time ago, now go and bath.”
He woke up and rubbed my tummy. “I can't wait for you to start showing.. thank you for making me a father again.”
“As if I had a choice. If you get me pregnant again, I'm leaving you!”
“Kodwa, MmaMotaung.” he went to the bathroom. I opened my closet to see what to wear today.
I settled with an asymmetric, mustard jumpsuit with wide legs and black block heels. I used my fingers to brush my short fade cut.

While Musa showered, I dressed Junior and fed him. “Baby, we're leaving now!”
He came out with a towel on... “Why are you leaving so early?”
“Today is my first day as a junior designer at House of Perez, I can't afford to be late. Do I look the part?”
“You look hot in anything you wear muffin.”
“Must I leave with Junior, or you will drop him off at daycare?”
“Leave him, I'll take him.. have some father and son time.”
“Whatever.” I gave him and Junior a kiss then left.

I called Kaitlyn on my way to work.
“My lief!”
“Hey babes.”
“You don't sound fine, what's wrong?”
“I broke up with Katlego.”
I stopped by the garage to fill some petrol, went inside the shop to buy some sweets and bottled water.
“You two looked happy, what happened?”
“I think we have been lying to each other for a while now.. we have not been happy. I think we stayed together for Olerato, otherwise we were not happy.”
“I'm sorry my love. It must be a bit hard for you.”
“It is but eventually I'll be okay.. one day at a time.”
“That's the spirit my love. You can bring Olerato to us when you feel like crying.”
“Thanks, I'll bring her tomorrow morning. I need to go and see this bride who doesn't know what she wants. The drama, I might return late.”

            KENEILWE MORAPEDI

I was on the phone talking with the catering company. Everything needed to be perfect for tonight. Zakhele, walked down the stairs holding Zendaya.
“Look at my favourite niece! Come here baby.” she ran to me and I picked her up. “How are you baby?”
“I'm okay but I'm hungry.” she made cute puppy eyes. Zendaya, was Khumo’s photocopy.
Zakhele brought her oats and took her from me to feed her. “Is everything okay for today?”
“I just spoke to the catering company and they assured me that everything would go well. I just need to go to Sandton, to see if everything is okay.”
“Thank you so much for coming here to help.. are you sure you were not busy at the nursing college?”
“I promise.”
“Good, I don't want Khumo to have my head for dinner.”
“She loves you, don't worry.” I looked at Zendaya, dancing along to the cartoons on the television. I took out my phone and took a video, she was just too adorable. “Zenda, look at me..” she turned and had a huge smile on her face.
“Are you taking pictures?” I nodded. She gave me a few poses. Definitely going to be a model. “Let me see aunty.” I gave her the phone to look at her pictures. Five year olds of today! They could operate phones.
“Zakhele where's Khumo?”
“She was still on the phone when I came down with Zenda.. a rich client.”
“My poor sister.” we both laughed.
Zendaya gave me my ringing phone... It was Tidimalo.
“Hey you.”
“Hi, Neilwe, sorry I missed your call.”
“It's fine, did you get my message?”
“About the surprise?”
“Yes, will you be able to attend?”
“The story I was chasing in the Middle East, I was told to give to someone.. so I'll be able to attend.”
“I'm sorry about your story but Khumo will be very happy to see you.”
“I miss her too. Where's Zendaya?”
“She's eating.”
“Send everyone my greetings.”
“Don't forget that it's a surprise!”
“Shut up Keneilwe!” I laughed before hanging up
I looked at Zakhele, “that was Tidi, she will come.”
“Khumo will be so happy since Itsanang can't travel because of her pregnancy.”
“I hope the dress fits..”
“Don't worry, Evelyn and Kaitlyn helped me out. All she knows is that we're attending Evelyn's engagement party tonight.” we laughed some more, Zenda looked at us with squinted eyes.
“Why are you talking about my mummy?”
“We're not talking about mummy, cupcake.”
“I heard you!” she folded her arms and pouted.
I saw Khumo coming down the stairs, I looked at Zendaya.. “okay Nana, please forgive me, I won't talk about mummy ever again.”
“Pinky promise?”
“Pinky promise cupcake.”

“Good morning, Neilwe.”
“You look gorgeous.”
“I always look gorgeous honey!” she gave me a few poses. Me and Zakhele laughed. “You see Zakhele, I told you that Zenda, is her mother's daughter! Just look.”
“Hey! Don't talk about me as if I'm not here.” she looked at the time on her phone. “Shoot, I'm going to be late!” she looked at her husband.. “baby can you drop Zenda at daycare? I'm going to be stuck in traffic if I don't leave now.”
“Just go, I'll drop her off.” they shared a kiss, Zenda, clapped her hands happily.

Once I was sure that she had left I looked at zakhele.
“What is it Keneilwe?”
“Do you think it was a good idea to invite mama as well?”
“It's too late for that now.. she's already on her way here.”
“Yeah, you're right.”

        KHUMO MORAPEDI-KHOZA

I had not been well the past week. I made an appointment to see our doctor during lunch time.
I looked at the few designs I have worked on for my client. Is she doesn't like these as well, I wouldn't be Khumo Khoza! You can be the best designer in the entire universe but some clients don't know what they want. That's why I'm not a huge fan of designing wedding dresses. Brides are just the worst!
I looked at the time then drove to see the doctor.

I knocked before entering. “Hi doctor.”
“Mrs Khoza, please have a seat.”
“Thank you..”
“What brings you here today?”
“I haven't been feeling well for a while now.. I just need to make sure that everything is in order.”
“What are your symptoms?”
“Weird symptoms.. nausea and dizzy spells some days. Mild headaches, painful back.”
“How are your periods?”
“Periods?”
“Yes.”
“You think I'm pregnant?”
“Whenever a female is sick, that's usually the first thing that comes to mind.”
“Wow... Well I have not missed my period. I didn't bleed a lot this month though, just a few drops.”
“Just to be safe, I'm going to send your blood to the lab but first I need you to take the regular pregnancy test.”
I went to the bathroom to pee into a cup, then inserted the stick into the cup.. then went back to the consultation room
“Okay Mrs Khoza, what does the test read?”
I turned it around and it was positive. Both of the lines were very visible. I showed the doctor.
“Those lines are very clear but we'll wait for the blood results. You can go and wait at reception as I see other patients.”

I couldn't sit still at the reception, I stood up to get a chocolate bar at the vending machine. I bumped into someone holding a toddler in the hallway. “Sorry!” we both said. I looked up and it was Zandile.
“Hi Khumo.”
“Zandile, how are you?”
“I'm well thanks and you?”
“I've been better. Is he yours?”
She looked at the toddler with adoration. “Yes he is mine, he had a fever.”
“Hope he gets well soon.”
“Thank you.”
Silence
“I better get going then..” before I could leave Zandile held my hand.
“Khumo, I'm really sorry for what I did. I know I hurt you badly but I really miss you. I'm not saying we'll be that close ever again but I'm really sorry.” she turned to leave.
“Zandi, wait!”
“Yeah.”
“Look I won't lie and say you didn't hurt me because you did.. I know you didn't force my husband to sleep with you. As you said things could never be the same between us again but for the sake of the friendship we shared, I think I'm willing to give you another chance.”
“Really?” she had tears in her eyes. “Thank you so much Khumo!”
I gave her a hug... “Zendaya is turning five next week Saturday, maybe you could bring your son to her birthday?”
“I will, once again thank you so much.”