FIVE

KENEILWE MORAPEDI

I felt a vibration underneath the pillow. I rolled my eyes after seeing who it was. I touched the other side of the bed and Khumo was not next to me.
“Baby.”
“How are you baby? Did I wake you up?”
“No my love. I was actually about to call you.” the lies!
“I'll be seeing you later today right?”
“Yes.”
“Okay. I love you baby. Bye.”

Yoh Robert! How am I getting rid of you?
I tried sleeping but I felt bad about what happened last night. I know Khumo means well but she can be a bit overbearing. I just want her to start acting her age. I didn't mean to be rude but it happens without any hesitation. I'll ask for forgiveness later. I went back to sleep.

            KHUMO MORAPEDI

I slept very late last night after that fight. I was hurt that my own flesh and blood, would say such. I tried studying but that didn't work. I had to sleep in my parents room because of her. After tidying up the room, I went to the kitchen to make myself some breakfast. I heard a knock on the door. So early in the morning?
“Aunty Dorris?”
“Hello Khumo.”
“Is something wrong?”
“Batho Khumo! Can I at least come in?”
I moved aside so she can enter. “Can I make you a cup of coffee or tea?”
“A cup of coffee would be nice. Where's Neilwe?”
“I don't know.” I walked outside to get the hot water.
“What do you mean you don't know?”
“Exactly that. I slept in mama’s room. I wanted to study.” I brought our coffees and sat opposite her. I looked at her waiting for her to tell me why she's here.
“Khumo, you know if you and Neilwe need anything you can ask?”
“Yes I know.”
She looked around the house with disgust. I couldn't help but chuckle.
She placed her cup on the table and got up. “Thanks for the coffee, I have to rush somewhere.”
“Okay.”
As soon as she left I burst into laughter. Aunty Dorris! She didn't even drink her coffee. As I was washing the dishes I used for breakfast, Neilwe walked in.
“Good morning.”
I just looked at her then went to our room to fetch some clothes. She followed me.
“Khumo I'm sorry.”
“Okay.” I tried to leave but she grabbed my arm. I looked at her then she left my arm.

After getting dressed I walked to section B. I found Tidimalo still getting dressed.
“I'm almost done mmata.” she said while running around like a headless chicken.

Thirty minutes later we left. On our way to get taxis to town, TK and his friend stopped us. People from this village are irritating!
“Keng TK? We don't have time for nonsense.” Tidi said annoyed.
“I don't want you, I want to talk to Khumo.” he walked to where I stood.
“Do I look like someone who wants to talk to you? Just leave me alone.”
We tried to walk away but they blocked us from leaving...

            KENEILWE MORAPEDI

Khumo always forgives me after our fights but today, she was not interested in what I had to say. Maybe if I buy something for her she will forgive me. My bathing water was ready. After bathing, I got an idea how to get Khumo to forgive me. I called mama.
“My favourite baby.”
“Mama!” I faked a cry.
“What's wrong? Why are you crying my baby?” I could hear my dad asking my mom what's wrong in the background.
“Khumo.”
“I should've known! What did she do to you?”
“I came home a bit late last night because I was doing my assignment at Aunt Dorris. When I arrived she started shouting and saying hurtful words to me mama. I don't want to stay here anymore.”
“Don't cry my baby. I'll talk to her. Where is she now?”
“I don't know. When I woke up she was not in the house.”
“I'm going to kill that child!”
I dropped the call. Mission accomplished. I remembered a jacket I left at TK’s. I got dressed and walked to his home. Just a distance from where he lived, I saw him holding Khumo by the waist. I felt my chest tighten. Why must Khumo want every guy I like? Didn't she say she's a virgin? I felt like going there to confront them but knowing TK, he would embarrass me in front of that loudmouth, Tidimalo.
I didn't bother myself going to fetch that jacket. I furiously walked home. Khumo will regret this! She won't get away with this.

               KHUMO MORAPEDI

We managed to get TK to let me go. He annoyed me to the core. I don't know why he thinks I would date him. Tidi was just quiet throughout our ride. She noticed how angry I was. To make matters worse, my mom called me breathing fire! Just when I thought we were making progress, ten steps backwards!
I know Keneilwe is sneaky, but this was too much. How can she lie like this? I looked at Tidi.
“Mmata, are you still going to the party?”
“Yes.”
“Okay, what time must we be there?”
She looked confused. “What you mean by ‘we’?”
“It means that I'm also coming to the party. I need something to wear.”
“You know you don't have to come right? I wasn't forcing you.”
“This has nothing to do with you. I'm done living my life for anyone. No matter how hard I try, it's never enough.”
I'll use the money my dad gave me, the last time he was here. If Motlalepula wants to beat me up, I'll give her a reason to. We arrived in town and explored different stores to find outfits for tonight.
“Khumo?”
“Yeah?”
“Can I tell you something but please don't be angry.”
“Okay.”
“I know you said you won't interfere in Keneilwe’s life anymore but..”
I stopped her from going any further. “Mmata I love you so much. I don't want us to argue because of Keneilwe.”
“I love you too but listen!” she dragged me to the fitting room. “Listen, I saw her getting into TK’s room yesterday, and she only left late at night. The weird thing is that, after TK left, his brother Tumelo went in and only left late at night.”
“Are you saying what I think you're saying?”
“I don't know who she is sleeping with between TK and Tumelo but she's sleeping with one of them or both.”
I burst into laughter. I looked at Tidimalo and she had on a serious look. “You're not joking?”
“Khumo, why would I joke about something like this? Me and you both know that TK is a man whore! I've lost count of the females who enter that room.”
I sat on the bench that was in the fitting room. I was trying to make sense of what Tidi just said. It made sense why she came in looking the way she did last night. “The pads!”
“What pads?”
“Oh, ntate modimo!” I stood up and paced around in that tiny room. “That would explain why she has not used the pads yet.”
“Your sister is going to give you grey hair before your time. Let's go to Mr Price instead. There's nothing interesting in here.”

             KENEILWE MORAPEDI

I was running late! Knowing Robert, he is going to bite my head off. I looked at myself on the mirror and my makeup was perfect! I have improved. I wore a pair of high waist shorts and a string top, with thigh high heels. I looked like a matured woman. I didn't tell Robert my real age. All he knows is that I'm seventeen, soon to be eighteen.
Now I had to walk all the way to Aunt Dorris, to leave the key because Khumo is gallivanting with TK. Just thinking about him on top of her, makes me nauseous!
Aunt Dorris likes acting like she is better than everyone else, especially us because she has a bigger house and running water in her yard. She thinks I don't know that her daughter Kalanyana, works as a stripper in Johannesburg. She's always bragging about how, her daughter works so hard as a personal assistant for some rich guy. I know this because I once saw her when Robert took me to his house in Johannesburg. The first time I left this village. No one knows that I've been there. Even our town is not hectic. At least it has the basic shops.
When I opened the gate, I saw her watering her flowers.
“Aunty?”
She turned and looked at me. “Neilwe? O ya kae o le montle jaana ausi?” (where are you going looking so beautiful?)
“I need something in town, for the school trip.”
“You shouldn't be going by yourself it's dangerous.”
“Please give Khumo these keys if she arrives before me.”
“Where is she?”
“I don't know.” before she could open her mouth, I ran out of her yard.
I managed to get a taxi to town. I read messages from Robert, he was furious! Timing is everything to him. After an hour and thirty minutes we finally arrived in town. I knew where he had parked his car. I immediately made my way there. I found him giggling with another female.
“You finally made it I see.”
“I didn't know you had company?”
He opened the front door. “Get in.”
“Why? You already have company. I'll just go back home.”
“Keneilwe! Don't make me drag you inside this car.”
If it wasn't for his money, I would have left him a long time ago. This disgusting pig!