Illicit Affairs

This is something a Queen oughtn’t to do. 

She should not be sleeping in bed with another woman (her husband’s mistress no less), she should not have to deal with this from her husband, she should not be cuddling with said mistress, and she most certainly should not be kissing her.

(Catalina was doing it anyway.)

There’s something poetic, or perhaps idiotic, about taking a mistress who also happens to be the mistress to your cheating lover. Probably idiotic. Alas, Catalina couldn’t really stop herself now, she was cradling to raven-haired beauty in her arms, waiting for her to wake and further wreck her precarious control over her life.

Almost as if her thoughts had caused the events, Anne stirred. (Anne, who was beautiful, and smart, and could be kind if she felt like it, and charming- has Catalina mentioned beautiful?)

(She’ll say it again just in case.)

“The sun has risen mi corazon, it is time to wake.” Catalina gently reminded as Anne attempted to go right back to sleep. “What if the sun has merely peaked its head? And instead wishes to fall to sleep again as well?” 

Amusement filled within Catalina at the petulant tone, however, she still conceded, kissing her head and allowing her at the very least another hour of rest. And another hour passed before Lady Jane knocked, Catalina allowed her in not missing the amused smile on her face as she took note of Anne’s position.

“There are rags to be washed in the washroom.” she hummed to the lady, and she nodded dutifully, always dutiful. 

“I see Lady Anne is rather expired, was the night long?”

She was teasing Catalina, her queen. 

(Offended, Catalina was offended, not refreshed by her bravery.)

“Perhaps.” is what she offered back instead, and she pretended to not hear the sharp huff of laughter from the blonde, they were not friends.

(They were friends.)

Lady Jane went quiet as she collected the assortment of rags that were in need of washing, giving Anne plenty of time to wake and notice the blonde’s presence.

“Hello, Lady Anne.” Lady Jane hummed respectfully as she made her way out, the two making eye contact and saying something to one another that caused Anne to gasp in mock offense and Lady Jane - the quiet, demure woman - to cackle before disappearing.

Catalina didn’t want to know.

(She was the queen, she should know.)

(She’s a little jealous of their friendship.)

Anne pouted for a moment before rolling her shoulders, “When should the rest arrive?” she picked at the blanket idly, causing Catalina to note that it needed to be mended (not replaced, she didn’t need a new blanket, she liked hers). 

“Once the sun reaches the edge of the church.” Catalina replied still.

Anne nodded and looked out one of the windows, the sun was just only just reaching the town’s roofs, the edge of the church wouldn’t be reached for another hour. She sighed, boredom already creeping into her skin most likely. Anne was lively, which is really what made Catalina worried. 

Anne was lively where Catalina was calm. Anne was loud where Catalina was quiet. Anne was the opposite of Catalina in all but one.

The king was someone to be irritated with, not loved. And really, did anyone truly cherish him anymore? He’d been Catalina’s knight in shining armor when he finally pulled her out of her imprisonment due to her father’s unwillingness to pay her dowry.