A New Year and Trials, How Well They Get Along

Jackie's POV:

December went by faster then November and suddenly it was time for trial. I was scared out of my mind and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to live for the end.

I thought of my parents--what would they think? Would my mother and father want me to live with the aunt who didn't show up to the funeral? Or would they want my too continue a life they never wanted for me? What if I was asked to choose? Of course I'd stay with Justin, but aunt Lisa? What was it with her? Suddenly my thoughts went back to that summer.

-Flashback-

"Mommy I can't find my Barbie!" I yelled out to my mom, but she was nowhere to be found.

Aunt Lisa was visiting and usually when she was here my mom and her would spend hours chatting. Mostly about the latest gossip within the family.

"Don't you dare!" I heard a yell come from the kitchen.

"Lower your voice!" again a loud yell followed by glass falling on the floor.

My eyes widened and I scurried to the kitchen where my mom and aunt stood several feet away.

"Mommy." I said catching my moms attention and causing my aunt to look away out at the window.

"Go to your room Jacqueline." My mom said pointing up, my room was upstairs.

"But mom--."

"--now." she said

I looked at her once again and ran back to my room.

-Flashback Over-

I remember that was the last time I'd seen my aunt. I had been about five years and I remember after that fight my mom took down every single frame of my aunt and probably threw them out. That still wasn't an excuse for not showing up to your own sisters funeral.

I sighed and looked around the room drowning in my own thoughts. The trial was today, the day had finally come. It was only January the fourth, only three days after New Year's Eve and here I was, about to enter some sort of custody battle.

"Jackie!" I heard Justin yell from the hallway, but I stood still staring at my reflection. I was wearing a black dress, I felt like I was going to a funeral.

"Jackie." Justin said, I looked at his reflection from my mirror.

"I'm scared Justin." I turned around to face Justin, he was wearing black slacks with a white button down.

"What if we lose?" I asked staring at him as realization shot through his face.

"We're not going to lose, Jackie. I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure I'm your guardian, I'm going to make sure I'm your only guardian." He said looking me dead in the eye, and when he said that I hoped that he be right because I didn't want anyone else to be my guardian. It couldn't be anyone else.

I nodded and held back the tears. "We're going to win the case." I said as if almost reassuring myself.

He nodded. "We are," he sighed and looked around my room, "the car will be here in twenty, I'll call you when he's here." Justin said taking a step back.

"Alright." I said as Justin turned around and walked out my room.

I sniffed and heard my phone ring. I looked around my room and found it on the top of my bed. I grabbed it and looked at the caller.

"Cody." I answered, sighing and sitting on my bed.

"Hey," he sighed, "how are you?" he asked

"I'm terrified my hands are literally shaking and I have goose bumps." I admitted looking and my spare hand that was in fact shaking.

"It's going to be okay." he said, "You're always going to have Justin. Have some faith." he said

"I know Cody but," I sniffle, "what if I really am handed over to Lisa." My voice cracked. "What if I have to leave Justin? I can't do that." I responded having trouble keeping my voice steady.

"And with paparazzi already waiting by the court isn't helping. I'm so scared." I said trembling

My thoughts were in a mix and my feelings were fumbling all over the place.

-Flash back-
2013
"Justin." I said catching Justin's attention who was busily attempting to make brownies.

"What?" he asked turning around to look at me and then turning back to close the oven.

"Do you think we'll still see each other even after I turn eighteen?" I asked

He turns back around and looks at me with his eyebrows furrowed. "And why wouldn't we?" he asks

I shrug. "I don't know. Did you only adopt me because you felt bad for me?" I asked again

He shakes his head. "I adopted you because I saw something special in those eyes when you sang in those videos. You reminded me of myself. And I hope that when you're eighteen you'll still want to live with me and not move out so quickly." he responded chuckling with a smile on his face.

I smiled back. "I love you dad."

He grinned. "I love you too, Jack."

-Flashback Over-

"Jackie it's time!" I heard Justin call from downstairs.

"I have to go." I told Cody over the phone.

"It's going to be okay Jackie, text me when you've got time." he said

I exhaled. "Alright Cody, bye." I said quickly and hung up.

I signed and got out of bed and looked at my mirror for one last time.

"It's going to be okay." I said to myself biting down my lip.

it's going to be okay.

--

an/

honestly I'm so late updating this chapter and that's because I had to rewrite it cause I ended up not liking it. the next chapter will be the actual trial chapter and a lot of shît will be getting down!! ah I'm excited

the next chap shall be up in a week, hopefully on time this time. so next Monday on the 13th I believe???

anyways hope yall are having a wonderful spring break if you're on break like me in cali, woohoo.
CALI babes do it best. lmaao just kidding

qotc : faav book? um I like a lot of books so I can't pick! haha see yall next time lovelies! don't forget to vote and comment 🌚😘