Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter 26

Rosalie's POV -

"Excuse me?" Nate asked, surprise written all over his face.

I felt my mouth go dry and my mind went completely blank. Talk! Talk! Rose, just say something! The only sound that was coming out of my mouth sounded like the killer from the movie the grudge. I just couldn't form a coherent word!

"Um..." That was not a coherent word.

That was barely even a word.

I wanted to reply with 'I love you too, Nate'. I so desperately wanted to tell him that I felt the exact same way but what with my luck and utter humiliation, I said bullshit.

"Any day now, Rose." Nate said, a lazy smile playing on his lips.

I couldn't even imagine what Nate was thinking. Here he was, telling me that he loved me and I couldn't even say the words back to him. I wasn't even able to say something polite. Nate must be hurt. Obviously, being Nate, he would never show that he was hurt but I know that I would be devastated if I said the three words and never received a mutual reply.

"N-Nate I-"

"You don't have to say anything." He told me.

I actually had to try really hard to stop rolling my eyes. What a cliché thing to say.

"But I want to tell you that-"

"Hurry up and finish your ice cream." He muttered, gesturing towards my cone that had been half-eaten.

"But I want to say something." I frowned, crossing my arms.

He smirked at me and his eyes glanced down to my chest.

"When you cross your arms, it makes your breasts look even bigger." He grinned.

Of course, my cheeks turned scarlet as I glared at him and unfolded my arms.

"Anyway," I muttered, lifting my gaze off the floor and meeting Nate's chocolate brown eyes. "I want to tell you that I l-"

"Finish your ice cream." Nate said again, cutting me off.

I glared at him and picked up my cone. Nate knew what I wanted to say, he wasn't exactly a moron. Well, he was semi-moron, but nonetheless, he knew what I wanted to say and he wasn't letting me say it.

I was actually angry with him, how could he do that? If he was able to tell me he loved me, catching me off guard too, then how come I wasn't allowed to say it back? Was it because of the ridiculous answer I gave him right after he confessed?

After I had all but stuffed the cone into my mouth, I turned to Nate and looked at him curtly.

"Done!" I announced, making Nate jump from his seat.

He scowled at me when he realised I had caught him of guard and I smiled smugly.

"How does it feel to be caught off guard?" I asked, raising my brows.

"I love you." He replied effortlessly.

Luckily I didn't have anything in my mouth or hands because my God, it wouldn't have been with me anymore. Why did Nate have to be like that?! All annoying and controlling one minute and then unbelievably romantic and sweet the next.

"Did I catch you off guard?" Nate asked, grinning childishly.

"Let's go home." I muttered, my cheeks turning red.

I decided that I'd tell him I loved him when he didn't realise it was coming, because the way I saw it, he wouldn't let me if he expected it.

He nodded and paid the elder lady at the register before he put his arm around my shoulders, keeping me close beside him.

"Just because I told you I love you doesn't mean I'm suddenly turning into a whipped boyfriend and opening the door for you." Nate stated, meeting my eyes when we arrived at the car.

I rolled my eyes, expecting that sort of comment from Nate.

"Let's get one thing straight," I said, opening the passenger door. "I will never expect you to do anything that a whipped boyfriend would do," Insert quote marks. "So you don't need to constantly remind me."

Nate turned the car on and before he started driving, he turned to me and studied my expression.

"Do you want me to be like that? All girly and gentleman like?" He asked seriously.

I smiled at him, knowing that if I did ask for him to be that way; he would at least make an effort. But, at the end of the day, he wouldn't be that guy. The guy that slammed the door on my fingers to get revenge, or the one that yelled at me when I had just had everything taken away from me or the one that liked to tease me by being cold.

"If you did suddenly start opening doors for me, or stopped swearing, then you wouldn't be the guy that I have fallen in love with." I murmured, smiling slightly.

Then, what I had just said registered into my mind and immediately, I smacked a hand to my mouth, my eyes widening. I wasn't supposed to say that to him in the car! I was supposed to wait until we were home and when I was fully prepared!

After I finished my little ramble in my head, I looked towards Nate to study his face. He just sat there, in his seat. His body was slightly adjusted so it was facing me. He had a soft smile elapsed onto his features as he just sat there, staring.

Suddenly, as if it were a daze, he turned his head and sat back in his seat properly.

"Let's go home." He muttered and pressed his foot on the accelerator.

We both sat in the car silently. It wasn't weird or anything, as if the little 'I love you' confession had suddenly made things awkward. It was just comfortable. When we arrived home, I opened the door and Nate was beside me in a flash, his arm slung on my shoulder.

"Can you say it?" He asked me as we walked towards the pool house.

I forgot that Nate said he'd be spending the night with me. Suddenly, that whole animal population stampede was back in my stomach. It was juvenile, really, to be this nervous because your boyfriend was staying over for the night. It's not like anything was going to happen.

"Rose?" Nate called.

"Oh, sorry." I muttered, snapping out of my daze. "What's wrong?"

"Never mind." He murmured.

He waited for me to take my keys out and open the door to the pool house. He rolled his eyes and looked at me impatiently when I finally grabbed the keys from my purse.

"Don't you have a key to the pool house?" I asked. "If you're so impatient, open the door up yourself."

"Yes, but that would require effort. And I'm not bothered." He shrugged.

"Not bothered to take keys out of your pocket?" I asked, propping my brows upwards.

He grinned and ruffled my hair.

"You catch on quick!"

I rolled my eyes and when I finally had the door open, Nate walked straight to the couch, lifted his feet onto the coffee table and turned the TV on.

"Cook something for me." He demanded, flicking through the channels.

"But-"

"I'm hungry."

"But we were just at a restaurant." I told him.

"Yes, but I didn't get to finish my food thanks to Juno." He replied.

"Well-"

"Rose, anything will be fine. Just make anything, I'm hungry." He said lazily.

He couldn't tell me what to do in my house! That was just bullshit! And rude! And unfair! Nope, if he wanted to eat something, he could get up himself and eat.

"No." I replied curtly, crossing my arms, making me look tough.

Nate pouted and turned to me.

"But I'm a growing boy!" He whined, his eyes widening.

"Nate, you're nineteen, you stop growing at eighteen." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Come on, Rose. I took you out to a nice restaurant tonight when I had a bunch of other stuff I could have done. But I pushed all my plans for you. And then when we couldn't finish our meal, I took you out for some ice cream because I thought you'd appreciate that. And then I told you I loved you. And after everything I have done for you tonight, you can't make me a simple meal?" He was so playing dirty.

But, it was true. Even though all events didn't go as planned, tonight was amazing. And Nate had kind of been on good behavior.

"Fine." I grumbled, rolling my eyes.

"Yes!" Nate cheered, a grin replacing the 'poor boy' look he had feigned.

"I'm just going to go change my clothes." I announced.

I heard a jump from somewhere and I turned around and saw Nate on his feet, running behind me.

"What are you doing?" I asked, frowning.

"I'm coming to help you change your clothes." He smirked.

My cheeks turned the colour of my name as I kept my eyes onto the floor. Somehow, if I looked at Nate, I would blush even more.

When I walked into my room, Nate touched my shoulder and spun me around to face him. He crashed his lips to mine and kissed me furiously. My automatic reaction was to snake my arms around his neck and to kiss him back with as much ferocity as he. Just as Nate had pushed me onto the bed, my phone started to go off.

I pushed Nate away from me who of course, started grumbled profanities. I rolled my eyes but couldn't help a smile when I answered my phone.

"Hello?" I asked, forgetting to check the caller I.D.

"Hey Rose, long time no talk!" I heard Adam on the other end.

I grinned straight away upon hearing his voice.

"I know, I've missed you! You have to come over tomorrow and spend the day." I replied chirpily.

"Will do!" He replied, matching my enthusiasm. "But, is he going to be there?"

I could just imagine the weary look that would be written on his face.

"Yes Adam, Nate will be there. He lives here." I told him, rolling my eyes.

When were they ever going to get over their silly little hatred for each other? God, my own brothers could resolve a conflict better than the two of them!

Nate tapped my shoulder and I turned around to face him.

"Is that Adam?" He asked me.

I nodded in reply, multitasking between replying to Nate and listening to a story Adam was telling me. Abruptly, the phone was snatched out of my hand. In surprise, I flailed my arms all over the place and somehow managed to fall off of the bed and landed smack bang onto the floor.

"Ouch..." I grumbled, shutting my eyes tightly, as if it were going to help the pain.

"Klutz." Nate commented, smirking at me... and holding my phone?

I raised my brows questioningly and took Nate's hand as he helped me up.

"Why did you snatch the phone off of me?" I asked angrily.

"Why did you invite Adam to come over tomorrow?" He asked irritably.

"Because we both haven't seen each other for a while. We went from spending every waking moment with each other to not seeing each other often. It's hard. And he's my friend." I frowned.

"You have enough friends." He muttered. "You don't need him, too."

I was suddenly furious with him. For two reasons. One, being that he was more or less telling me to check with him before I befriend someone. Two, this was such a perfect night and he had to ruin it by making me furious with him.

"What are you saying?" I asked through gritted teeth.

Nate took a deep breath of frustration as he ran a hand through his hair and sat on the bed.

"Rose, that guy literally put me through hell. The time you were gone was the hardest time ever. And to know that the worry I had the entire time could have easily been eliminated just frustrates me."

I tried to get a word in but before I could open my mouth, Nate continued to talk.

"He knew, Rose. He knew where you were the whole time, he knew how frustrated and worried I was and he just let me go through that. And you expect me to go all buddy-buddy with him now?"

That was true. The furiousness I had faded away as quickly as it arrived as I heard Nate talk. He did have a legitimate reason to dislike Adam and I couldn't even imagine what Nate had been through when I left.

I couldn't imagine how I'd react if I woke up one day and he was gone, wouldn't return any calls or messages and I had no way of finding him. I understood. But, still. This was Nate's battle, I wasn't going to shun Adam from out of my life because Nate was hating on him.

"I know, and I'm sorry, I really am. But you weren't there when I struggled every day with my brothers. He was so kind and caring, and always helped me out. I won't ever be able to repay him back for it-"

"I'll write a cheque right now." Nate shrugged.

I rolled my eyes and fought a smile.

"I want to keep Adam in my life. As much as you hate him, I can't just... he's like a brother. I can't just get rid of him. And I don't want to either." I replied.

After a few seconds of mere silence, Nate took in a deep breath and rolled his eyes.

"Fine." He grumbled.

I was going to tell him that I wasn't waiting on his permission on whether I could keep Adam in my life or not but I decided against it. I actually didn't enjoy arguing with Nate and I knew it would probably raise another argument.

"But, he can't come over tomorrow. Tomorrow is the last day your brothers are gone so I want to take you somewhere. Call him back, tell him to come over on Monday instead and then make me food." And with that, he left the room.

I picked up my phone to dial back Adam's number when Nate popped his head back into my doorway.

"Oh, and Rose, I love you." He grinned cheekily and before I could tell him I loved him too, he ran away.

Any traces of resentment or anger that I still had left had completely vanished by now. That was what frustrated me, Nate could do the most horrendous thing but a few words could make me forgive him in a heartbeat.

***

I handed Nate a bowl of spaghetti and plopped down next to him on the couch, my own bowl of spaghetti in my hands. Nate took a bite and groaned loudly.

"My God, I'm lucky to have you as a girlfriend." Nate murmured, twisting his fork for another bite.

"I'm so lucky to have a boyfriend who uses me for my cooking." I retorted playfully.

He smirked and put his arm around me, scooting me closer to him. I felt his lips on my temple as my whole body shuddered.

"I love you for other reasons, too." He winked.

I felt my heart stop upon hearing that, and then it was as if it restarted and starting beating a mile an hour. Would that feeling ever wash away?

"Um," I murmured, feeling my cheeks go red. "Want to watch a movie?"

"If we do, then we'd be committing ourselves to Saturday night being our movie night. Meaning, that you are not allowed to have plans for the rest of the Saturdays for the rest of our life." Nate said.

I smiled at that, 'for the rest of our life'. Half of the time, Nate didn't realise that some of the things he said was unbelievably sweet and romantic.

"Deal." I mumbled, surprising the both of us when I leaned in and began kissing Nate.

He took dominance of the kiss straight away, as he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me so close, so there was no more room between us. Before things could get too heated, I quickly pulled away, and pecked him quickly.

"We're supposed to be watching a movie." I laughed teasingly.

"Then don't start kissing me like that." He muttered grumpily.

I laughed and quickly finished off my spaghetti before I stood up and put the bowls in the sink.

"Nate, are you going to pick the movie out or do you want me to do it?" I asked him.

"Um, you pick it. I'm just going to finish watching the game." He told me.

I started washing the dishes when Nate informed me of one of the most beautiful things in the world: A dishwasher. I was so giddy about that, I was going to burst with happiness. It cut my time in half and I walked over to the DVD's shelf to pick out a movie.

"Premium Rush?" I asked.

"No."

"Slumdog Millionaire?"

"No."

"Thor?"

"No."

"Titanic?"

A scoff. Okay, so that was a no.

"You told me to pick out the movie and now you're objecting to everything I pick out?" I complained.

"I wouldn't have let you pick if I knew your poor taste in movies." He replied wittingly, smirking.

"I'll have you know that they are all amazing movies! You're talking to the person that lived her whole life watching movies so if anyone gets to be a movie critic, it's me." I told him smugly.

"Whatever," He grumbled, his eyes twinkling in amusement. "Just choose something I haven't seen a million times."

"Scream?"

"A million and one times," He stated flatly.

I was just about ready to give up when the gorgeous face of Leonardo DiCaprio appeared in my vision.

"Inception?" I asked, smiling.

"Yep, bring it over." He agreed.

I mentally did a happy dance, proud that he finally agreed to a movie.

We put the movie on and I settled into a comfortable position. Nate was sitting on the edge of the couch, his legs up on the recliner. I laid down horizontally on the couch, my knees bent and my head resting on his lap.

About half way through the movie, I felt my eyes go groggy and I began to feel sleepy.

I suddenly felt myself being shaken and I opened my eyes to see Nate carrying my bridal style to my room.

"Shh, go back to sleep." Nate murmured when I questioned what he was doing.

"Did you finish the movie?" I asked.

"Kind of." He replied.

How do you kind of finish off a movie? I felt myself being put onto the mattress and blankets covering me.

"Nate?" I asked sleepily.

"Yeah?"

"Am I even in my pyjamas?"

I heard him chuckle and then the other side of the bed had dipped a little.

"Yeah, you changed into them earlier remember? Your cute little shorts and singlet?"

Oh, right.

I mumbled something incoherent and I heard Nate chuckle again. I felt his arms wrap around my stomach as he pulled me over to the middle of the bed, wrapping his muscular arms around my waist.

"Goodnight Rose. I love you." He muttered into my hair.

And there goes my heart again.

"I love you, too." Even with sleep taking over me, I couldn't help the smile that appeared onto my face.

I could so get used to this.

***

I woke up the next morning in complete and utter happiness. I half expected for Nate to be crushing me when I woke up but instead, he was lying next to me, his arms still around my waist while my head rested on his bare chest.

When my eyes fluttered open, a smile completely overtook my features and I just felt relaxed. How my life had turned around so drastically will always remain a mystery and the luck I found in Brooklyn made me never want to leave this place.

"Nate." I whispered, my breath fanning his face when I removed myself from his grasp.

"What?" He grumbled.

"You're awake." I frowned in surprise.

I didn't expect him to wake up at a whisper, that was quite unusual. I always would set up alarms at five minute intervals because I would never wake up. But, this? Nate waking up instantly?

"No, I'm skydiving." He groaned. "What do you want?"

What did I want? What was my reason for waking him up? I guess I just wasn't thinking. I felt myself blush from embarrassment as I slowly slid myself from out of bed.

"Never mind. Go back to sleep." I murmured.

It wasn't like he even needed my permission. He grunted in response and rolled himself over to get into a more comfortable position. I walked into my ensuite and brushed my teeth and combed my hair before I quietly exited the room.

This was new. This whole feeling was new.

I had nothing to do. Like, nothing. My brothers were at camp, the house was clean, and my homework was done. I had no bills to worry about or anything. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I wondered why it had suddenly came now.

I grabbed my satin robe and slipped on some slippers before I left the house and walked towards the main house. I remembered the conversation with Melanie and automatically opened the door without knocking. I had entered the kitchen straight away and on the stools sat Ashton, Hayden and Melanie. Both boys were smirking at me while Melanie looked like she was about to cry.

"Good morning." I mumbled shyly, feeling my cheeks go red.

"G'morning." Hayden replied, the same smirk on his lips. "So, where's Nate?"

"He's still sleeping." I replied and took a seat on one of the kitchen stools.

Hayden nodded and looked back at Ashton and Melanie, sending them suggestive smirks. Melanie's eyes suddenly widened and she looked towards me.

"Nate stayed the night?" She asked.

Oops. Was I not supposed to mention that? Nate never suggested that he wasn't allowed to spend the night with me. These were the parents that didn't care about him getting arrested, so why would they not allow him to spend the night with me?

"What she means to say is did you and Nate use protection?" Ashton asked, amusement written all over his features.

"Protection? For what?" I asked confusedly.

Why would we need to use protection?

And then that familiar feeling of a bucket of ice dropping down on me washed through me. I felt my cheeks turn scarlet as my eyes widened. I was lucky I hadn't taken a bite from the scone that was offered to me.

"No! Oh God, no! Nate and I aren't, uh, physical like that." I stated, my eyes suddenly interested on my reflection on the bench top.

"You mean you guys haven't slept together yet?" Hayden asked, deadpanned.

I shook my head, not trusting my eyes to meet his. Everything was silent for a while before all three people sitting before me started to laugh. Scowling, I trusted my eyes to turn upwards and meet everyone's amused glances.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"Nate must really love you if he hasn't slept with you yet." Ashton commented, that same old smirk never leaving his face.

"W-well, we've decided to wait." I replied, my voice turning soft.

"For what?" They all asked simultaneously.

"Marriage." I murmured, even softer now.

"M-marriage?" Melanie asked, her whole face lighting up.

I nodded and before she could get a word in, Hayden spoke.

"Whose idea was this?"

"M-mine. I told Nate that I wanted to wait for marriage."

God, why couldn't I just ever shut up? This had to be the most embarrassing conversation yet. Discussing with my boyfriend's family our non-existent sex life?

"He must really love you." Hayden commented softly sending me a small smile.

"Um, yes." I replied awkwardly.

Melanie's head turned towards me so fast, I was surprised I didn't hear a crack.

"Did he say that he loved you?" She asked, grinning like never before.

God, why couldn't I just ever keep my mouth shut?

"Y-yes." I nodded fiercely, hoping for the topic to be over.

Melanie turned to her husband, a genuine smile on her face as it lit up in complete relief and happiness.

"We did good, Hayden." She murmured.

He smiled at her and he nodded in agreement. The air was silent for a while, Hayden and Melanie exchanging some silent conversation, Ashton chewing loudly and me sitting awkwardly, wondering if it was safe to finally take a bite from the scone in front of me.

Suddenly, ending the silence was a loud slam from the door in front of us and we all turned around to see who it was.

"You just sneak out of the house without no note, no message!? I thought you ran away again!" And that was my morning greeting from Nate.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know I had to let you know I was going to walk a few meters out of the house," I replied sarcastically.

Ashton chuckled while Nate glared at me.

"Get up." He told me.

Hesitantly, I stood from my stool and walked over to Nate. He gave me a quick peck on the lips and put his arm around my shoulder, directing me to leave the house.

"Where are we going?" I asked him, turning around to wave goodbye at Nate's family.

"Back to your house." He answered.

I couldn't help but smile. Your house. Not the pool house or the guest house. Your house.

"Why?"

"For breakfast, and then we have to leave."

I nodded and followed Nate back into the pool house. I took off my robe and went to the kitchen and made some quick pancakes. We quickly ate it before I popped in for a shower.

"Nate, what do I wear for today?" I asked him.

"Just a pair of jeans and a shirt will be fine. But if you want to go in your birthday suit I wouldn't mind either." He called from the other room.

What was a birthday suit? I shrugged off the thought and quickly pulled out a pair of blue skinny jeans and V-neck t-shirt. I grabbed the hair drier and dried my hair to its normal waves before I pulled it up in a ponytail.

"So where are we going?" I asked Nate.

He had also changed into a pair of khaki three-quarter shorts and plain white t-shirt.

"Six flags." He replied, shoving his wallet, phone and keys into his pocket.

Six flags, the amusement park?

"Okay!" I was suddenly unbelievably excited, anxious to get to the amusement park I have been wanting to go to since I was little.

Nate chuckled as we walked to the car.

"This is going to be fun." He had a smirk on his face, like he knew something I didn't.

Huh, guess I'll just have to wait and see what that smirk was for.

-----------------------------------

Authors Note:

Love amusement parks! :D

Anyhow, just a filler chapter, not my best worked but it was rushed since I'm busy with packing and all.

Umm, an update won't be ready any time soon. At least fifteen days. I'll be on holidays so please don't send me messages to update, cause I won't see them due to no wifi.

And, THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! Over 18000 reads! That's like HUGE and over 500 votes! AMAZING! Like Awesome! You should have seen the shock I had when I came home and found that it had gone from 1500 to 6000 and then in a few days over 18000! Incredible! So thank you!

Vote, comment and fan.

Farewell xx