Chapter Nineteen

Chapter 19

Rosalie's POV -

I had a genius plan. And no, it wasn't what I had done to Nate in school today. Yes, that was genius but it was also super embarrassing and in art, I couldn't even look at him properly. Anyway, I had another genius plan. In order for me to feed my boys, I would sell the DVD's and books I had stored in my cardboard box.

The boys indeed had forgotten about their ice-cream craving and instead, they felt like pizza. So, all I needed for two boxes of pizza were twelve dollars. On my way to picking up the boys, a sign at a DVD store said that they wanted second hand movies and that they would pay.

So, I dropped the boys off at home and quickly found my least two favourite movies and walked to the DVD store. I entered the store and immediately walked off to the guy standing behind the desk.

"Hey, I'm here to trade in a couple of movies." I smiled, putting the movies onto the desk.

He nodded silently and opened up the cases and checked the conditions of the DVD's. Luckily for me, my slight OCD managed to keep them in perfect condition.

"I'll give you eighteen for both." He said drily.

"Sure." I agreed and he took the movies out back and came back with eighteen dollars in cash.

The feeling of money in my hands was quite exciting.

I practically skipped home in excitement. I was so happy that I found a way to keep the boys eating. But... I still had the rent to pay off. My bill had arrived two weeks ago and it was five hundred dollars. Last week, I received a letter about the money being late. I was just praying that I could hold off until Mr Ashford could send me the three hundred dollars and that I could also get a job.

When I reached home, my brothers all tackled me to the floor and began tickling me. They seemed happy.

"Please," I yelled in between laughter. "If you love me you'll stop!" All six hands stopped moving around and they glared at me.

"Only because we love you Rose." Mike said pointing a finger at me.

I rolled my eyes and ordered the pizza.

I decided I would start on my homework before anything so I sat down on the breakfast table and checked my school email quickly.

I had one pending email from the school principle; that was strange.

Dear Miss Turner,

This email is regarding your lack of respect to specific school equipment.

According to our records, you have been unable to bring the Berkeley Carroll laptop to classes where laptops are needed. This piece of equipment has been given to you for no charge and many teachers have made reports about you not bringing it. If you have lost or mistreated your laptop, a fine of $600 must be paid immediately. If you do not pay this fine, I am afraid that the scholarship that you have earned will be stripped and you will need to pay school tuition fees of $10,000.

If you cannot pay this money, we will have to let you go and replace you with another deserving student.

This will be your only warning.

Mr. Robertson.

My mouth remained open as I read the email over and over again. But... but my laptop was stolen! I had no control over that. I didn't lose it nor did I mistreat it; someone took it from me. How can I be punished for something like that? It was completely unfair and I made a mental note that I had to speak with Mr Robertson on Monday morning.

Even though my mind was whirling with ideas of what I should say to Mr Robertson, I forced myself to start my English essay.

I had successfully written the introduction and first paragraph when there was a knock on the door. Pizza was here. I opened the door and paid the delivery guy. I took the boxes and put them on the coffee table. The boys all grabbed slices and began stuffing them into their mouths. My appetite was gone from the email. I couldn't eat. Instead, I grabbed a plate and put two slices of pizza inside and set it on the stove.

I was so nervous, God only knows how I managed to finish my essay, clean the apartment, wash the clothes and sit back down to do my history homework.

Once I sat, there was another knock on the door and I stood up to see an unfamiliar looking man smiling at me.

"Um, can I help you?" I asked.

"Oh, sorry. My name is Mr Friedrich Porter. Can you please come down to my office?" He asked warmly.

And who was this Mr Friedrich Porter?

I frowned at him confusingly and he remained a smile.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I questioned.

"Oh, I'm the owner of this apartment. And I recently bought this whole building which makes me the new landlord. Now, Miss Turner, my office." He pulled out his arm to gesture for me to walk outside.

Oh no. He was the landlord. And my $500 bill is two weeks late.

"J-just a second." I murmured, suddenly feeling breathless.

He nodded and started walking away as I shut the door behind him. Oh my God. This was it. I had the exact same feeling the day I was evicted from my other apartment. I couldn't believe it.

"Jace." God only knows how I found my voice.

"We've been evicted again?" If I recall correctly, those were the exact same words Jace had said to me the last time we were evicted.

"Not sure. I have to see what's going on. Take care of your brothers until I get back." I said breathlessly.

I opened the door quickly and ran down the stairs, anxious to get the meeting thing over and done with. I felt like my fingers were going to fall off from the anxiety.

When I made it down to the office, I just stood there like a stunned mullet. I had no idea what I would do if my assumptions were right and I really was evicted. Seriously, with just the right amount of money to feed the boys, how could I rent out another apartment?

"Miss Turner, are you going to stand out there forever?" Mr Porter asked, smirking.

I sucked in a deep breath and opened the door. His office felt like I was in one of those cliché movies where he was a lawyer or a detective and everything was brown and messy.

"Take a seat." He nodded towards the empty chair that faced his behind the desk.

"I'd rather not." I muttered, keeping my eyes on the floor.

"I'd rather you do." His tone was suddenly hard and unfriendly unlike the warm smile on his face.

I gulped heavily and sat down on the very edge of the seat.

"Miss Turner, before we begin I'd like to first tell you-"

"Am I being evicted?" I asked in rush.

"Excuse me?" He frowned.

"I don't like it when people take forever to get to their point. Just tell me. Do I have to start looking for a new apartment?" I quickly said, feeling quite helpless.

"Miss Turner, when I want to get to my point, I will. You will sit down and be patient and listen to everything I have to say." He spoke menacingly.

I felt scared. Well, scared being an understatement but nevertheless, I was freaking out.

"My cousin was recently married and me being a landlord promised her a place to live until they could come up with enough money to put a deposit on a house. So, I decided that I will look through every renter of every apartment and see who was worthy of living here, and who would need to leave. You see, every single person has managed to pay off their bills except for you. And according to the lease agreement, you would only need to pay $500 for everything and you couldn't even do that." He spoke slowly, pronouncing each word carefully.

"So am I being evicted?" I asked dryly, wanting to skip the whole charade.

"Well, okay. I won't be a tease anymore. Yes, Miss Turner. Unfortunately, you have 48 hours to pack your things and leave." He smiled as if the news were something to be happy about.

"But I can't leave." I spoke, a frown etching on my forehead.

"Miss Turner, I'm afraid that-"

"No, you are not listening to me," I spoke louder, clearer. "I cannot leave! You don't understand. I have my school here. I have three little brothers who don't have any parents or family. We have been on our own for such a long time. You can't just kick us out! They're kids dammit! Have you no humanity? We cannot be left alone. I barely have enough money to feed them let alone provide shelter." This was bad; this couldn't be happening.

Although I expected it, I still couldn't handle the news. I refused to accept it. I was not leaving.

"Miss Turner, you will be leaving whether you like it or not." He smiled maliciously.

"I can't leave!" I roared. "Isn't there anything that I could do? I could be a maid or anything. Please, just tell me anything and I'll do it." I begged.

He smirked knowingly and sat up straighter in his seat.

"You walked right into that one, didn't you?" He smiled smugly.

"What are you talking about?"

"You see, Miss Turner. There is something you could do for me. Co-operate, and I'll let you live in your apartment for free. However, if you refuse, I'm afraid you will still have to leave." Mr Porter looked evil now.

"Anything." I nodded. "My brothers need a place to live."

His smiled turned Cheshire-ly as he nodded.

"Very well then. You can come back in an hour. To my office. If you are late, deal is off."

I nodded feverishly and was finally excused. I couldn't believe what had happened. But now, I was a bit worried. What was Mr Porter planning on making me do that will allow me to live for free. What could he possibly want from me? I guess I just had to wait one hour for that.

**

It's amazing how when you want something to arrive, it takes a millennium to happen but when you don't want something to happen, time flies. This was exactly my case. I didn't want to see him again. God only knows what he wanted from me. I felt absolutely nauseous. So I was a little on edge when I received a phone call from Adam who was still in Tulsa.

"Hey gorgeous, how are the boys?" He asked when I answered the phone.

"They're dandy." I tried to sound normal.

"Dandy? You're one weird girl. So, how've you been? Obsessing over me or anything?"

"Well, I finally went back to school. Um, something happened and you have to promise not to tell anyone." I felt like I needed to tell him.

"What is it?"

"Nate kissed me." I whispered.

When there was no reply on the other line, I frowned. Maybe there was a delay?

"Adam?"

"Sorry Rose. I thought you wanted me to stay silent for a minute or something to acknowledge this huge event." Adam joked.

"Hey! To me it was a huge event." I argued.

"Well, I'm glad."

We spoke for a little while longer until he asked to speak to the boys. I handed them the phone and once again looked at the clock on the microwave. Seven minutes left.

Five minutes before I had to leave, I went downstairs and left the boys talking with Adam. Firstly, I didn't want to be late and second, I just wanted the damn thing over and done with.

When I reached Mr Porter's office, I knocked on the door and a slight sound came from behind the door. When I realised he had said 'come in', I opened the door.

"Close the door behind you." He said demandingly.

I nodded and quickly closed the door. I turned back to notice that the chair that was across his desk was now beside him. Frowning, I walked over to the chair when he gestured for me to do so.

"So what exactly is it that I can do?" I asked him, twirling my fingers around.

"Well, Miss Turner, ever since my divorce, I haven't been able to continue fleeting physically. I feel like I've been in a long time drought and you are my rain. You're a pretty young thing and I think I could use you." He smirked.

So far, I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. Well, I didn't know what he was talking about until suddenly, his hand was placed on my inner thigh, making me extremely disgusted and uncomfortable. That's when everything fell into place.

"I want you to be there for me at my beckoning call. Whenever I want you, you will come and you will go along with everything. You will please me and you will make me a happy man again."

His hand moved closer and closer and before I knew what was happening, I swung my arm forwards and landed a slap across Mr Porter's face.

"I may be desperate and I may need the money, but I will never stoop as low as you." I muttered angrily.

"Very well then. Miss Turner, you have twenty four hours to leave."

"But I thought you said I had forty eight hours!" I exclaimed.

"I changed my mind. Time is ticking." He smirked.

Huffing loudly, I fought the urge to walk back to him and smash his face in. But, we all knew I wasn't capable of doing so. So instead, I exited the office as quick as possible and slammed the door behind me. I ran up the stairs and opened the door to my apartment.

"Evicted?" Jace asked, frowning slightly.

"Yeah." I murmured, not meeting his gaze.

"I'll get the boxes." I heard him say.

I felt nauseous. Not the kind of feeling where you're just nervous and dizzy; no. I legitimately felt like I was going to pass out. I was sweating all over and I felt as if I hadn't had a meal in weeks. Even though I had barely eaten today, as soon as I felt like I was going to vomit, I ran to the bathroom and puked just before passing out.

**

"Rose!" I heard three different voices whisper simultaneously.

I felt groggy and sick not to mention I was in desperate need for a shower.

"Yeah?" My voice was hoarse.

"We finished packing everything. A man came by and said he wanted us out by the end of the day." Jace told me.

Mr Porter came by? And I was supposed to have twenty four hours! Not eight! I sat up from the tiles on the bathroom floor and rubbed my sore neck.

"We need to pack then." I said.

"Rose," Jace pushed me back to the floor when I tried standing up. "Relax, we finished packing everything. We don't have much to pack anyway. And we moved everything that Adam had given us into his apartment since we really can't get on the road with those."

Jace just seemed so calm. A little too calm. As if he saw the whole thing coming. He seemed so okay with leaving the town that he grew to love with people he had formed friendships with.

"Jace are you okay with all this?" I asked him.

"I called the school and told them we weren't going to attend anymore. Our scholarships have been taken away. Everything is ready, Rose. Let's go." He ignored me.

"But Jace-"

"I packed the clothes. They're in the boxes over there." He continued.

"Jace I-"

"I think a cab will be here any second. I called the same guy that helped us move out last time." He mused.

"Jace!" I finally yelled, sick of him ignoring me. "What's wrong with you?"

"I'm not happy, Rose. And I know I'm being selfish because me, of all people, got to be taken care by you. You have suffered more than I can ever dream of and I know that. But how you have managed to keep it together for such a long time will always remain a mystery to me. But I love this place Rose! And I don't want to leave it and now we have to. So no, Rose. I'm not okay with all this. But it's life. Now let's go." He walked outside and I vaguely heard him speaking to the twins.

Jace has never reacted like this before to an eviction. I knew that he and the twins had settled here when we arrived. I knew that they developed a close friendship with Adam. And all because I couldn't hide a simple jar of money, I had to leave.

I briefly ran Mr. Porter's ultimatum to me and contemplated to agreeing before I snapped myself out of my daze. I would never, ever sell my body to some sleazy old dirt bag. If I was with my brothers, I'd be okay. But there was no way I'd turn into some prostitute. No. Never.

There was a loud beep coming from outside and I assumed it was the cab.

"Rose, taxi is here. Say goodbye to the place." Liam yelled.

I walked out of the bathroom and saw the once again empty apartment. I gritted my teeth together in anger. I did not want to move out. I couldn't. My brother's education was here. My education was here. Their friends were here. Adam was here. Cam, Chloe and Chris were here. For God's sake, Camilla was pregnant! She needed support. But somehow, I couldn't even think it. It was too much to bear the thought of knowing that I may not see him anymore. In so many ways, he's changed me. He has made me so happy. Nate was here.

And as I reached back into my wallet and found a mere six dollars, I sighed heavily and rubbed my temples. It was just a reminder of everything that was here and everything that I was leaving.

------------------------------------

Authors Note:

I'M SO SORRY THAT THIS IS LATE! Buuuut to make up for the lateness, I posted two chapters when I was only going to post one, that's something?

Umm, is that a cliffhanger? I never really know :P so what do you think will happen next?

And, on another note, I remember seeing a post about this story being unrealistic because of the situation Rose is in and how social services haven't been contacted yet.

Firstly, I do a lot of research in my writing. Such as the school Rose attended and the area and everything. They are all real places.

Secondly, I don't know about you guys and what you have seen, but I personally know people who are in similar situations to Rose. This is a story so in saying that, a little imagination is allowed to be put into it. Isn't that the whole point of movies and books?

Now I know I sound a little harsh but I swear I don't mean to! Just picture me (even though you guys have never seen me :p) with a huge smile on my face and saying that whole part nicely. And plus, every wattpad author is entitled to a rant LOL!

WOW LONG AUTHORS NOTE!

Vote, comment and fan.

Farewell xx