Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter 24

Rosalie's POV -

"Are you able to meet us at the mall at about ten? Or do you need us to pick you up?" Cam asked during lunch.

I was finally back in school. Even though education has never been my number one priority, I still valued it. I wasn't going to college, I knew that when I made the decision to leave my parents and raise the boys. Even under the Sander's roof, I would never allow the boys to actually live with anyone but me.

I guess I could go to community college, if it were easier but the work load would still be straining, making it harder for me to actually raise the boys.

"Um, I'm not sure." I answered and then turned to Nate. "Can you drop me off at the mall?"

He finished swallowing his slice of pizza before replying.

"No, Chris and I are going to see the Knicks." He replied. "Drive yourself; take one of the spare cars."

"And where did you get the idea that I could actually drive?" I asked, propping up my brows.

"Oh, I forgot." He mumbled.

"So can you drop me off?" I asked.

"I told you I'm going to the Knicks game." He said again, rolling his eyes.

I rolled my eyes too, of course and blushed when all three pairs of eyes were locked on Nate and me.

"What?" Nate asked, forgetting about etiquette and talking with his mouth full.

They all shared similar amused glances and Chloe shrugged.

"Remember when you two hated each other?" She smirked.

I blushed a deep scarlet when I remembered the times I used to curse Nate, complaining about him constantly to everyone. Who knew I'd ever date him?

"Rose, why are you blushing?" Chris asked me with amusement.

Oh yeah, he and I made up. Well, he forgave me - I was never mad at him. This morning when he saw me, he ran the opposite direction. But he seemed to have forgotten that he and I shared first period this morning. So my mission? To annoy the crap out of him until he would finally speak to me.

And then he proceeded to cuss at me, telling me that Cam was sensitive at the moment and I made her cry constantly because of my disappearance and then he said that he had never seen Nate look so distraught before. I kept apologising, promising him I wouldn't do it again and that I'd stick by with him to see Cam's pregnancy and their baby being born.

"No reason." I murmured, snapping back to reality.

They all chuckled at my embarrassment which made me blush even more. Curse this annoying habit.

"So I guess we're picking you up?" Chloe asked me, referring back to the shopping trip we were taking tomorrow since the boys were at camp.

"Sure." I said, nibbling on my food.

I didn't exactly know why the girls were so adamant on going on this shopping trip. I distinctly remember them having a conversation with Nate - him doing most of the talking, they were nodding - and then they advanced towards me, saying that they were taking me shopping and that there was no way out of it.

They hadn't even told me what they wanted me to get, they just simply said that we were shopping.

Cam's phone made a buzzing sound and she picked it up, and smiled.

"I made a reservation at the River Café so we're all going tomorrow." She announced.

"Can Adam come?" Chloe suddenly blurted out, and then she began to blush.

"No." Nate scowled.

Both Chloe and I turned to him and shared disapproving looks. I really hoped that Nate would get over his hatred for Adam soon.

"Yes, you can bring him." Chris announced, mimicking the disapproving look towards Nate.

"Great," Chloe squealed. "I'll go call him now."

She shot up from her chair and walked out of the cafeteria, furiously dialling his number.

"I don't know what she sees in that guy. He's like four years older than her." Nate muttered.

"You're two years older than me." I piped in, smirking.

"One year and eight months." He corrected.

I rolled my eyes at his precision and listened to a conversation between Cam and Chris who were discussing possible names for their baby.

I found out when I came back that Cam had every intention of putting her baby up for adoption as soon as she gave birth. Chris didn't want to, but he left the entire decision up to Cam since she was going to be the one struggling with the pregnancy. But, as soon as they went and had the ultrasound and she heard the sound of the baby's heartbeat, she had a sudden change of heart and decided to keep the baby.

I was kind of relieved she made that decision too. Something about putting a child up for adoption reminded me of the way my parents had abandoned the boys and I.

"Why don't you like Ruth?" Chris asked, outraged.

"Little baby Ruth? Really, Chris?" She asked deadpanned.

He winced a little and smiled sheepishly.

"You're right." He chuckled.

They continued bickering, picking different names as I watched in amusement.

"Are you excited for the shopping trip tomorrow?" Nate asked, sliding over towards me.

"Sort of. I've never really enjoyed shopping because I've always had a deadline and responsibility with needing to get back to my boys. But I guess it won't be so bad." I murmured.

He wrapped a firm arm around my waist, sliding me over towards him so that we couldn't get any closer.

"My mum wants you over for dinner tonight." He murmured into my hair.

"I'll be there." I smiled.

"Yeah, she said she wanted to discuss some arrangements with you."

I was about to say something but Chloe had come back, pulling Nate and I apart and sitting in between us. I watched as Nate scowled at her oblivious expression as I laughed.

"Did you talk to Adam?" I asked her.

"Yeah, he said that he wanted to come but he had already arranged other plans for us. I guess I'm not going." She shrugged.

I felt disappointed straight away. I had really hoped Adam would come. I knew now that we weren't neighbours that we wouldn't be seeing each other as often as usual. Sure I'd talk to him every day and see him on the weekends, but I was used to seeing him every minute of the day. Before, you know, I had run away. And now, that he had Chloe, he would be over her place during the time when he was free, rather than hang out with me.

I wasn't envious or anything, I just really missed him.

"Oh come on," Nate scoffed, looking at me. "Why do you look so disappointed? Are you actually sad that you won't be in the presence of that brat?"

"Nate, that brat is the one that helped me through everything. He's like a brother." I explained.

"You already have three brothers, you don't need a fourth." He muttered.

I rolled my eyes but didn't reply. When he wanted to get over his hate for Adam, he will.

***

I heard the sound of the oven go ding, but with the little self-control I had, I remained seated on the couch. When I arrived at the Sanders house, I automatically went to the kitchen, planning on helping Nate's mum (who insisted on me calling her Melanie) in the kitchen. Instead, I found actual cooks in the kitchen. So I did the one thing I knew, I grabbed a knife and started chopping.

Melanie must have wanted to check up on the cooks or something but she was quite surprised when she saw me in the kitchen, helping out the cooks.

"Rose!" She scolded. "You're a guest; you do not need to cook."

I hastily exited the kitchen, following her to the living room where I saw Nate's dad (Hayden), talking with my brothers about how to treat a girl. I have to say, Hayden was quite surprised when he saw that my brothers could have easily been his son - their personalities were already exactly the same.

Nate wasn't downstairs yet, so instead, I sat on the sofa and conversed with Melanie. She was a wonderful woman, and I found no resemblance between her and her son. Hayden, however, seemed to have created a replica of him in the form of his son.

"So, I wanted to discuss some arrangements with you tonight." Melanie said while the boys kept speaking.

"Okay, I'm sure I'd agree to whatever it is you have to say." I smiled.

"Wonderful." She gleamed. "Number one is that you and your brother have to join me for dinner twice a week. Number two is that if you ever want to come into the house, if you knock, I will arrange for someone to break your wrist." Woah! Where the hell did that come from? I guess I was wrong, Nate did resemble his mother.

She must have seen my expression because she began laughing.

"Rose, I mean that in the kindest way. You live here, so act like you live her. Knocking in this house in not protocol no matter how polite it may seem. I want you to treat us like family. The only exception is that you live in a building near the pool. I want you to feel like you belong here. Give some attitude, throw a fit, and break the laws. I don't care, I just want you to feel welcome into our home whenever you want."

I was rendered speechless, so I couldn't exactly say anything.

"And, like I do with all my kids, five thousand dollars will be put into your bank account every week. You can use the money on anything. Except for drugs. Unless you want to go through a rebellious stage, I won't stand in your way. Every Monday you will need to fill out a grocery list with everything you need from Walmart for the next week and it will be in your home, and packed by the time you come back from school. Nate explained how your scholarship was taken away so everything educated related for you and your brothers will be taken care of."

"Mum, I think you've put her into cardiac arrest." Nate chuckled, suddenly appearing next to me.

"I didn't mean to." She smiled sheepishly.

"Uhm..." My voice was croaky so I cleared it, trying to sound more confident. "No, no, its fine. It's just a little overwhelming is all. I've never had someone take care of me so to get this kind of treatment, it kind of blow my mind." I admitted.

Melanie nodded while Nate looked away, seeming bothered by something.

"So, why did you take so long to come down?" Melanie asked Nate.

"Brandon called. He said he's coming home." Nate said.

Melanie grinned widely and clapped her hands.

"Oh goody! All my boys back together! I can't wait. When is he coming?" She asked excitedly.

Nate shrugged and took a seat next to me on the couch, slinging his arm casually over my shoulders.

"I don't know." He said nonchalantly. "I didn't ask for details."

"Atta boy!" Hayden praised. "Show no emotion, I like it."

Nate laughed at his dad while Melanie rolled her eyes.

"Hayden, if you keep this up I'll tell them the way you proposed." Melanie sang.

Hayden automatically went stiff and his eyes widened, looking suddenly scared. His appearance was comical.

"You wouldn't."

"If you comment on the way Nate is with Rose, then I definitely will." She smirked.

I noticed that when Hayden nodded his head vigorously, Nate scooted closer to me and tightened his grip around my waist. So that's why he had his arm barely slung over my shoulder? His father would tease him for showing affection? Rather than being annoyed, I actually found it amusing. Nate never, ever tried to impress anyone and seeing him trying to please his dad was amusing.

"Whipped." Hayden tried hiding his comment with a cough.

Melanie shot an eyebrow up, making me grin foolishly.

"Hayden." She sang.

"Fine." He grumbled. "Nate, you can treat Rose however you like and show as much affection as you please." He rolled his eyes.

My boys chuckled and looked at Hayden.

"See, if we had a girlfriend, we wouldn't even spare them a glance." Jace commented.

"Hayden, I swear to God, if you turn Rose's boys into heartless people, I will print the way you proposed in the New York Times." Melanie spoke through gritted teeth.

"Don't worry," I chuckled. "They've been like that since birth."

Before anyone could say anything, the cook came into the lounge room and announced that dinner was ready. Hayden and my boys ran to the kitchen while Melanie scurried after them demanding they slow down. I smiled as my boys showed genuine smiles. I was so glad that they felt comfortable here.

I stood up and began to make my way to the kitchen before Nate grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him.

His eyes raked over me lustfully before he slowly put his lips to mine, kissing me passionately and sensually, sending a million electric shots to go through me.

"Do you think you'll end up staying here?" He asked.

"I'm settling in pretty well. And your parents are nice. And your brother is funny. And the kitchen I have is amazing and-"

"So me living here isn't affecting your decision?" He smirked.

I pretended to think about it and then finally nodded.

"Of course." I murmured and stood on my tip-toes and brought my lips back to his.

***

I couldn't believe that this was the kind of shopping trip the girls had planned on taking me on. When they said shopping, I thought they meant buying a few dresses, a few shirts, you know, the casual kind of shopping. But boy was I wrong.

We bought everything. And I mean everything. They bought me a complete new wardrobe. Twenty dresses, twenty pairs of jeans, skirts, shirts, shoes, bags, jewellery, hair products, make up, perfume everything. I had so many clothes right now; I don't think I'd ever actually go through all of them. But that wasn't it.

Nope, they also insisted that we get a whole new wardrobe for the boys too. Which we did, taking hours. And then just when I thought we were finished, they told me that there was more.

We bought hundreds of books and DVD's, stationary, bed sheets, undergarments, house accessories, kitchen ware and by then, I had an enormous headache, I stopped arguing with the girls and let them drag me to hundreds of stores, allowing them to buy whatever they wanted.

And do you know what the funny part of it all is? I was tricked into buying everything. I thought I was just tagging along on the shopping trip, not planning on buying anything. When the girls picked up clothes that weren't exactly their size, I brushed it off. And then when they bought everything else, I thought they were crazy. And then they said they wanted to buy clothes for their nephews which just happened to be the exact sizes of Jace, Mike and Liam.

And then, when we arrived at the pool house, they unloaded everything they had bought and packed it in my home. I was completely shocked. I had no idea that everything they were buying were for me.

"You can't spend thousands of dollars and just expect me to brush it off." I exclaimed as they continued to unload all the items.

"Don't worry," Cam chuckled. "We didn't pay for it."

"What do you mean?" I frowned.

"Nate gave us his credit card and said to go crazy with everything. So we did." Chloe smirked.

My mouth formed into an 'o' shape as I began to blush.

"And why did you listen to him? Or at least tell me that everything you wear buying was for me? Most of the stuff I won't even use." I explained.

They both shrugged, ignoring me, and continued unpacking.

After exactly one hour and fifty two minutes, we were finished. And I was exhausted. Chloe said she was going home to get ready for her outing with Adam while Cam said that she'd stay with me and get ready for the dinner we were going to.

"Rose?" She asked, while we lazily laid on the couch and flicked through channels on the TV.

"Yes?"

"If you were in my position, would you give up school for your unborn baby? I mean, I'm keeping my baby, that's for sure. But, do I go college? Do I even bother finishing high school? Chris said that he'd support anything I do and left the decision up to me but I don't think he really cares, so long as my decision doesn't affect him."

I thought about what she said and realised, I was kind of in the same boat as her. Well, I wouldn't have a newborn on my hands but isn't three children valid to equal up to one child?

"Well, what do you want to do in the future?" I asked her.

"I want to be a therapist. But that takes years of studying and training, and with a child on my hand? I don't think I'll be able to handle it." She admitted.

I felt bad for her, she looked really scared, she didn't want to make the wrong decision.

"But Cam, you have to remember that you're not a single parent. Chris is there too. If you want to stress out your course for longer than required, you can and you can pick and choose the days you're studying and the days you're with your baby. You can hire a nanny to help out with the child and Chris will be there to help along, he is the father."

She sat in thought, thinking about what I said. Finally, she groaned, putting her head back.

"I hate sex. If only Chris wasn't so irresistible I wouldn't be in this situation." She grumbled.

I blushed at her using the 's' word and fought a smile.

"Have you and Nate slept together yet?" She asked me.

And then my face went up in flames and she began chuckling.

"U-uh, umm, n-no, we haven't." I stuttered.

"But it is going to happen soon, right?" She asked me.

"Actually, I've vowed to stay celibate until marriage." I muttered, my eyes averting to the floor.

"What?" She asked, shock overcoming her. "And does Nate know about this?"

"Umm, yeah, I told him." I blushed again, remembering the events of when I had told him.

It seemed like such a long time ago, years even, when in reality, it hadn't even been a month.

"Wow, he must really like you to stay with someone who won't put out until marriage." She smirked.

I chose not to reply, and instead, we sat on the couch and finished the rest of the Friends episode that was on until Cam announced that we had to shower and get ready for dinner.

I showered, brushed my teeth and blow dried my hair, allowing my strands to fall into its natural waviness. Cam called me over to the lounge room where she had nail polish set out.

"I thought we were going to a dinner." I asked hesitantly.

She rolled her eyes and patted a seat on the floor and gestured for me to put my hands on the coffee table.

"Doesn't mean you're not supposed to dress up for the occasion." She replied.

We talked while she painted my nails and then she painted her left hand and asked for my help with her right. After that, she straightened my hair while she curled hers. Once we finished that, we walked to my walk in wardrobe and scanned the dresses I had bought.

I picked up a plain dress, just a simple green peplum dress that came to the knee. I showed it to Cam who looked over it then shook her head.

"This is your official first outing with Nate, and it's like the kind of restaurant where it's better suited to wear a maxi dress. Here, wear this." She said, picking up one of the dresses that I thought were stunning.

It was a halter dress, the halter starting from the sides and working their way behind the neck in an upside down V-shape. The dress was tight on the breast area and flowed down from the waist to the floor. The colour was a dark blue from the chest area and slowly faded into a light blue colour.

I grinned and nodded, changing into the right bra and then slowly slid the silk dress on. I grabbed a clutch purse and a pair of heels.

"Turn around." Cam said abruptly, pushing me into a seat.

I chuckled at her aggressiveness as she began to play with my hair.

"What are you doing?" I laughed.

"Fixing your hair," She said in an excited tone.

I sat still in my seat and watched her use her magic powers into making my hair into a fish plait ponytail. She picked up a pair of earrings, a ring and bracelet and told me to put them on. She told me not to put too much make up on and when she saw me struggling to put mascara on, she chuckled and looked at me like I was stupid.

She put on blush, mascara and lip gloss for me before she put her hair to the side in a twisted ponytail.

She put her dress on, a strapless peach chiffon dress, making her skin look exquisite. She added make up and jewellery before she checked herself out in the mirror.

"Okay, I look hot, you look hot, let's see where they are." She said, making her way to the kitchen and grabbing a snack while pulling out her cell phone.

"Uh, Cam, you do know we're going to a restaurant, right?" I asked.

"I'm pregnant, I'm allowed to binge." She smirked.

I laughed and heard her have a quick conversation with Chris.

"They'll be here in a minute." She said.

I nodded and turned the TV on, planning on watching something. I had only had the TV on for five seconds before there was a loud beep outside.

Whatever happened to chivalry? Picking up your date from the front door? Of course, it didn't exist anymore, especially when the boys had grown impatient in the space of ten seconds and beeped again, this time yelling for us to hurry up.

"Why are they so crabby?" I asked, picking up my clutch.

"The Knicks lost." She laughed.

Well then, this was going to be a long night.

----------------------------------

Authors Note:

Hey Hey! So this is like a part one chapter to their dinner.

Anyone have any thoughts on Nate? Does anyone like him? And how do you like Nate's family? Personally, I love them and find them hilarious

Okay, so I'm off to watch TV. I'm sooo obsessed with it...

Vote, comment and fan.

Farewell xx