10 - The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion

(Author's Note: And now

(Author's Note: And now... The chapter you've all been waiting for... LET'S GET IT STARTED IN HA! LET'S GET IT STARTED IN HERE!)

Reader's P.O.V.

Your eyes fluttered open as the sun began to peek out from behind the ocean. You sat up and stretched your arms out. You looked to your side to see your family still bunched up asleep together.

You smiled at them and carefully crawled over the pile of children, not wanting to wake anyone up.
You stood at the foot of the wool bed and grinned again. Everyone looked so peaceful.

Your happy expression soon melted as you realized today was the day. Today would be the day this war finally ended. And you'd be on the winning side.

Your heart broke a little at the thought of possibly having to see Zuko again. He'd surely kill you because he thought you betrayed him.

You turned away from your friends and began to walk toward the river not too far in the woods. You were gonna fish for breakfast.

Momo had woken up too and decided to follow you.
He scurried over and hopped on your shoulders, leaning his head onto yours as you walked away.
"Thanks, Momo. I needed some company." You smiled up at him.

He chattered happily as you reached up and lightly scratched his head. You made a mental note to pick him and Appa some berries.

An hour or so later, you had come back with vegetables and fish to cook. You had started the fire and put the fish over it when Sokka started to wake up.

"G'morning Blue. How'd you sleep?"
"Like a baby platypus-bear in hibernation." You laughed at this. "Yea yea. Me too. Now come over here and help me cook this breakfast, ya blue platypus. I managed to catch a nice big juicy one."

Sokka licked his lips and hurried over to help you. You laughed at his eagerness. He helped you to season the fish with some vegetables before sitting down next to you.

"So... (Y/n)... today's the invasion."
"Yep."
"Are you nervous about anything at all?"
"...yea... A few things..."
"Like what?"

You leaned back and stared into the fire.
"...I... I know that... *sigh* I know that I've been a handful for you all... Every time I look back at when you or your sister asked me to join you, I had declined. But that was when I had made a promise to myself. To not abandon... my friend. But... it wasn't fair to me. I also have a life— full of life-changing choices and responsibilities. Look Blue, the point is... I don't ever want to break my new promise..."

Sokka leaned closer. "And what's that?"
You gave him a sad smile. "To do what I think is the right thing to do. Not because I want to stay with someone or I feel like I owe them. But because it's what's in my heart..." Sokka smiled before putting an arm over your shoulder.