11 - The Desert

Reader's P

Reader's P.O.V.

It was times like this that you thanked your late mother for insanely fast regeneration blood.

The next morning, your ankle was good as new, meaning you could walk properly again. But you still had trouble breathing, and your chest felt a bit like it was on fire.

However, you didn't tell this to Zuko.
The three of you rode the ostrich horse through a small cleft in the valley.

You sandwiched between Zuko and Iroh and was clearly in discomfort. You groaned and winced behind Zuko before snuggling your face into his back.

"Maybe we should make camp."
In a pained voice, you said "No, please, don't stop for me!"

You let out several more pained groans.
Iroh snickered.

Zuko pulled the reigns of the Ostrich-Horse to stop it. He and Iroh dismount before Zuko grabbed your waist to help you down.

Iroh groaned and took a seat on a large flat rock, exhausted from traveling so much as well. However, the Ostrich-Horse perked up, pricking its ears.
It detected something approaching.

Zuko took a defensive posture while you reached for your gold bombs. You'd used up all your Flammable Fog and Knockout smoke on that day the three of you ran away. Now all that was left was your regular smoke bombs.

Iroh groaned from behind you in annoyance.
"Uhhhh!!! What now?"

A group of men on war rhinos suddenly surrounded you. You and Zuko maintain a defensive position, but Iroh brightened up.

"Colonel Mongke! What a pleasant surprise!"
Mongke scowled at him. "If you're surprised we're here, then the Dragon of the West has lost a few steps."

You leaned your head back towards Iroh, not taking your eyes off of your aggressors.
"Pssst. Iroh, You know these guys?"

"Sure. Colonel Mongke and the Rough Riders are legendary. Each one is a different kind of weapons specialist. They are also a very capable singing group." You snort.

Mongke didn't like that. "We're not here to give a concert. We're here to apprehend fugitives!"
Iroh joked around a bit.

"Would you like some tea first? I'd love some. How about you, Kachi? (Y/n), what do you make him as?"
You play along, having a little fun in this little game before you had to fight.

"Dunno sir. Maybeeeee... a Thai Ginger? No, wait! A jasmine man. Am I right?" "Enough stalling! Round 'em up!"

The dark-skinned, ponytailed fighter swung his ball and chain at Iroh, who kicked the ball away. The ball, redirected, wrapped its chain around the foot of another warrior's rhino.

You had dodged the fire blasts by tumbling along the ground. You rose back up to swat the rump of the rhino that had been chained.

The rhino ran off, yanking the dark-skinned warrior who had one end of the chain attached to his belt as well as its own rider.