Dreams

(Be trans, share dreams)

The first time Hinata saw that pretty person in his dreams, he was about seven years old.

They were in a meadow flying a kite when he noticed a small, pale child with unruly buttermilk-coloured hair about thirty to forty feet away doing the exact same thing. The child looked so serene and happy, gazing up at their orange and purple kite.

Hinata was a curious young person and adored making new friends. Naturally, they wanted to go over and meet them, so this is precisely what they did.

   "Hello!" They exclaimed cheerfully, "Helllooo?"

 The child looked back up at them, eyes wide. "Oh.
. .hello."

    "What's your name?" Hinata asked.

   ". . .Komaeda."

   "Do you have a first name, Komaeda?"

   "Yes. . .but I wouldn't say I like it much. It doesn't really suit me."

   Hinata laughs. "I don't really like mine either! It doesn't feel right for some reason, isn't that strange? You and I have something in common already. You can just call me Hinata."

   "Hinata-san?"

   "That's fine. Komaeda-san?"

   Komaeda smiles. "Yeah. Say, do you want to be friends, Hinata-san? I don't really have many friends-none, actually. Having an opportunity like this-it must be a dream."

   "I'm pretty sure this is a dream, actually," Hinata responds thoughtfully, "I have no memory of getting here, and normally my mom or another relative would be here with me. You'd be accompanied too, right?"

   Komaeda shrugs. "My current foster family doesn't really care much about me, so I'd doubt they'd care. But we live in the city, so there's no way I could get somewhere like this."

   Hinata sits down next to them. "So this must be a dream then! Komaeda-san, I'd be honoured to be your friend."

   The other kid smiles. "My first friend. . .I really hope you don't die, Hinata-san."

   Hinata frowns. "Huh?"

   "Nothing."

   The breeze stops, letting Komaeda's kite gently sink to the ground. Komaeda lies back, Hinata following suit. 

   "Anyways, this place is really nice, eh, Komaeda-san? I'm glad we're here."

   "Yeah, me too. I'm glad here."

-

   The next night when Hinata dreams their riding a bed through the sky, Komaeda is right there next to him, laughing as the breeze ruffles their fluffy hair. 

   "Hi, Hinata-san! It's so nice to see you again! Isn't this fun?"

   "Komaeda-san, you're in my dream again? What the heck?"

   "No, you're in my dream. What the heck?"

   Hinata thinks for a moment. "Hmm. . .well then, maybe it's our dream."

   Komaeda smiles. 

   "I like the sound of that."

-

   For the next couple of years, Komaeda and Hinata continued to share dreams. They did it so much they each stopped thinking the other was just a figment of their imagination. They grew relatively close, to the point where they practically knew everything about each other and more.

   Hinata was there for their friend through all of the tragedies in their lifetime. They called Komaeda beautiful and made them feel loved. In exchange, Komaeda helped them with their insecurities and made them feel just as important as their sibling.

   When they were each thirteen, they found themselves in the original meadow once again.

   "Hey, Komaeda-san. . ." Hinata says hesitantly.

   Komaeda hums to show they're listening. 

   "I. . .I think I'm a boy. I-Is that weird? Gosh, I don't have a better way to express the way I feel, I-"

   Komaeda smiles. "I think thats' perfectly fine, Hinata-kun. I'll change all the ways I refer to you immediately. Ooh, does that mean there's a first name I can call you now?"

   Hinata's eyes widen. ". . .I was thinking 'Hajime.' You're seriously okay with this? Just like that?"

   Komaeda smiles dreamily. "Hinata Hajime is such a lovely name. And, of course, I'm okay with it. Nothing could change how I feel about you. And I get thoughts like those too. All of the time, actually. . .Huh. Maybe I need to do some research."

   Hinata pulls them into a hug. "I'll support you no matter what conclusion you come to."

   "Wow. . .Thank you."

-

   A year later, in the middle of a candy kingdom Hinata dreamed up, Komaeda turns to him and says, "Yeah, I-I'm a boy. M-My name is Komaeda Nagito."

   Hinata pulls him into a hug. "I support you one-hundred percent."

-

   Years continued to fly by, and Hinata found himself starting to fall in love with the boy from his dreams. Unbeknownst to him, Komaeda feels the same way.

   But how could any of that be okay? He doesn't even know if Komaeda could ever be interested in him that way or if he was even attracted to boys. Besides, even if all of that was true, Hinata's never met Komaeda in real life, and he had no idea where he could find him. 

   Plus, there's still that small, slight chance that Komaeda is still just a figment of his imagination. But he chooses not to think about that.

-

   One day from some sheer force of luck, Hinata happened to be in the right place at the right time.

   Hinata groans tiredly as he steps into the coffee shop, promptly groaning once again upon seeing the line. He huffs, glancing at his watch and stepping into the back of the line. He can faintly hear the sound of the person in front finishing up with their order.

   "Here is your coffee. Have an amazing day!"

   "Thank you so much. You as well."

   The person in front gently steps over to the table that provides all of the milk, creams, and sugars. Hinata looks over at the person and nearly chokes on air. 

   That person. . .looks identical to the Komaeda Nagito he's been dreaming about since he was a little boy! Was dream-sharing truly possible. . ?

   Only one way to really find out.

   Hinata steps out of line and carefully approaches him, tapping on the shoulder. The boy flinches and turns around to face him.

   "Excuse me; this may sound totally crazy, but-"

   "Hinata-kun!" He interrupts, pulling him into a sudden tight hug.

   The brunet's eyes widen, and he immediately hugs him back, tears prickling in the corners of his eyes.

   "You're here. . .you're here, you're real-"

   "Hehehe, so are you! I'm so glad you found me! This truly is a dream-come-true!"

   "Literally," Hinata agrees, pulling away to get a good look at him, "Hey, I love you, by the way."

   Komaeda blushes. "I love you too. . .say, could I wait with you and buy your order?"

   "Yes. . .Yes, I would like that very much."