Moth Man

I've heard rumours, I mean, we all have, of that particular creature that supposedly dwells in the woods beyond the village.

   So many sightings have been reported of the so-called creature. Survivors describe it as a cross between a young human male and an ordinary moth. They say it has spikey chestnut-coloured hair with two antennae sticking out of it. Supposedly it has a long tongue and large wings that extend fifteen to twenty feet in both directions when fully spread and glowing yellow-brown eyes. It's tall as well, about 5'9" or 5'10" with tan human skin. It shows no signs of communication with humans but is rumoured to be extremely dangerous.

   So naturally, I, Komaeda Nagito, a notorious Komaeda hunter bloodline descendant, have been ushered into the woods this night to slay the beast(?). It prevents people from going into the woods at night for whatever reason and is hideous. 

   I can't imagine a creature that sounds as pretty as that to be a danger. I mean, regular moths are pretty much harmless, correct?

   Let's find out.

-

   Sitting on the ground with their knees tucked into their chest is a creature that matches the exact description. It doesn't appear to be hostile at all. It seems to be quite sad or something.

   But a job is a job, and money is money, I suppose.

   I draw my dagger and begin walking towards the creature with a sigh, but an adorable sound interrupts my thoughts.

    "Brrrrr?"

   The moth person is looking directly at me now, a curious expression on its face. I tense for a fight, but it never comes.

   The creature smiles and slowly stands up. "Brrrr!"

   I wave awkwardly. "H-Hello there.

   The creature tilts his head and chirps. It mimics my wave, staring at me expectantly. 

   "You must be the half-moth, half-human I've heard of. . .but you don't seem like a bad thing. You appear to be a happy, innocent creature, but I'll have to observe you to make sure." I continue.

   I'm not all about killing a harmless beauty like this.

   The moth person continues smiling at me, not understanding a single damn word I'm saying.

   "Do you have a name, moth person?" I ask.

   "Brrrrr. . .chrip!" 

   I point to myself. "Well, my name is Komaeda Nagito. Komaeda Nagito. Komaeda."

   The moth person ignores this, gracefully walking towards me and reaching out a finger to touch the tip of my dagger. He yelps, grabbing his finger with his other hand. He then glares at it as if it's personally offended him, and I can't help but chuckle at this.

   "Yeah, it's dangerous. . .but, you don't need to worry about this. It's never hurt you ever again." I promise, tucking it away.

   The moth person's smile returns almost immediately. "Brrrrr!"

   "You're so cute," I coo, "How could people ever think you're hostile? You're so lovely and curious. I'll watch over you from now on and keep you safe from those people back in the village who want to hurt you. But I'll need something better to call you than just 'moth person,' I stroke my chin, "Are you sure you don't have a name?"

   The creature blinks. "Brrrr?" 

   I laugh. "An English name, darling. Hmm. . .I think the name 'Hajime' would suit you. What do you think? We can even have 'Mothjime' as a nickname!"

   "Chirp!"

   "Hajime it is. But listen," I say slowly and sternly, looking him in the eye, "You need to stay out of sight from any other human from now on. Stay away from any human other than me, okay? I don't want you getting hurt. You don't deserve that, Hajime."

   "Chirp." Hajime returns seriously.

   I smile and pat his head. "Good. I'll come back to this spot tomorrow, okay? I'll bring you some stuff to help you out and build you some shelter, okay? But I do have to tell everyone that I, er, 'slew' you. . .sorry."

   Hajime purrs, pulling me into a surprise hug.

   "O-Oh! O-Okay. . ," I hug him back tightly before pulling away.

   "I have to go now, though. I'll be back tomorrow, Hajime. I promise."

   Hinata chirps in confusion.

   "Tomorrow," I repeat softly before turning and walking back in the direction I came.

   "Brrr. . ."

-

   I return to the same spot the very next day, a lit oil lamp in one hand and a bag of supplies in the other. I hold it up in the air as if trying to attract him.

   "Hajime?" I call.

   The moth person pokes his head out of the shadows, staring at my face for a second to see if I'm a person he knows he can trust before venturing out. His eyes are wide as he trots up to the lamp, staring at it intently.

   I laugh. "I thought you would like it, darling. You enjoy that for now, and I'll be sure to bring you more. Now I've also brought you some food and supplies-"

   I stop talking when I realize Hajime isn't even listening to me at all, reaching out for the lamp.

   "Careful, it's hot. Hold it from here. . .there you go."

   Hajime smiles brightly.

   "Well, I suppose we can go over the supplies later. I just want you happy. I will keep you safe."

   Hajime tears his eyes away from the lamp for a second to smile at me. 

   "K-K.o. . .mae. . .da." He manages to get out, and I beam.

   "Hajime." I return. 

   "Ko!" He chirps suddenly and excitedly, "Ko, Ko, Ko, Ko! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

   I chuckle.  

   "You're adorable. I'm going to hold onto you forever."